Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is online?

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 146 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:59 pm

+10
HPfanatic
ChiefRedskin89
gb980109
Bigcoaster95
Fanatic
FlyersFan
Magnum PA
CoasterEricHP
HPCrazy
Ccron10
14 posters

Hersheypark: Sidewinder Recieves Suprise For 2011!

Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Hersheypark: Sidewinder Recieves Suprise For 2011! Empty Hersheypark: Sidewinder Recieves Suprise For 2011!

Post  Ccron10 Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:00 am

I've been hoping for this to happen ever since I've heard good reviews from Carolina Cobra. Very Happy
    (4/5/11) Screamscape sources have confirmed that Sidewinder will have a special new surprise for everyone this season. One of the rockin’ new trains from Vekoma, with the ultra comfy and open restraint systems just like the ones put to use on Carolina Cobra at Carowinds in 2009. Your going to love this train.
    Hersheypark: Sidewinder Recieves Suprise For 2011! 2011_010

Last edited by Ccron10 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Hersheypark: Sidewinder Recieves Suprise For 2011! Empty Re: Hersheypark: Sidewinder Recieves Suprise For 2011!

Post  HPCrazy Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:33 am

SWEET!!!! If the reviews turn out to be great and the ride is smooth, I "finally" may be able to get my first Sidewinder credit this year! We'll see.... Smile

This probably explains why it was taken off the list for STITP.

Last edited by HPCrazy on Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
    CoasterEricHP
    CoasterEricHP
    Black Diamond Level
    Black Diamond Level

Hersheypark: Sidewinder Recieves Suprise For 2011! Empty Re: Hersheypark: Sidewinder Recieves Suprise For 2011!

Post  CoasterEricHP Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:40 am

Sidewinder was always one of the better Boomerangs out there as far as brain hemorrhaging goes so this is awesome!! Those trains look pretty sexy!
    Magnum PA
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  Magnum PA Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:42 am

This is very exciting news. I've heard good things about the new Vekoma restraints. They really breathed new life into the Great Nor'Easter.

One thing I hope remains is the drop back into the station after the ride is over. That may seem silly, but it's something that I've always enjoyed. The newer Vekoma trains are either lighter or their brake fins are thicker. But either way, the new trains don't escape the grasp of the station brakes on the return run like the older trains do.

Either way I'm excited to give Sidewinder a ride this summer. These trains look great, but how cool would these trains have been?

(Link) Wiener Prater Boomerang

Still waiting for them to arrive in the states.
    FlyersFan
    FlyersFan
    Hydra: The Revenge Level
    Hydra: The Revenge Level

Post  FlyersFan Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:26 pm

It looks good, I can't wait to ride in the new train.
    Fanatic
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:47 pm

It's about time is all I can say! I'll definitely have Sidewinder as a must-ride this year. Wink
    Bigcoaster95
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  Bigcoaster95 Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:48 pm

Any chance of it being open for Springtime In the Park? I know it isn't on the list but Fahrenheit wasn't either last year and it was open.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:15 pm

This is why I have every intention of riding Sidewinder this year.
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:12 pm

Bigcoaster95 wrote:Any chance of it being open for Springtime In the Park? I know it isn't on the list but Fahrenheit wasn't either last year and it was open.
    I talked to someone and they said that they still need testing, which is understandable given that it needs to be programmed into the ride's computer. My guess is that we might be able to get on them on opening day in May.

Here's another thing I've been wondering about, I wonder what effect it will have with the GP? Many guests don't like it because of how rough it was in the past and my question is if these trains, without advertising, will bring back the lines for it? Would it be a similar situation to Wildcat?
    Fanatic
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:30 pm

^ It could go both ways. I don't see a real need to advertise too much about the new trains. I find that regulars at the park as well as enthusiasts will know about the train and try it out, and see the difference for themselves.

But ordinary visitors and the like probably won't be going on it for the same reason as enthusiasts might. Sure, they may see a difference in the feeling of the ride, but I don't think they will make a big deal about it. It's just riding the coaster again to them.
    ChiefRedskin89
    ChiefRedskin89
    Talon: Grip of Fear Level
    Talon: Grip of Fear Level

Post  ChiefRedskin89 Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:34 pm

This looks absolutly amazing! This was a much needed and reletivly cheap improvement. Also did anyone see this coming? I wanted it to but didn't at all!
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:25 am

ChiefRedskin89 wrote:This looks absolutly amazing! This was a much needed and reletivly cheap improvement. Also did anyone see this coming? I wanted it to but didn't at all!
    I saw it coming. It was much needed.
    HPfanatic
    HPfanatic
    Trailblazer Level
    Trailblazer Level

Post  HPfanatic Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:50 pm

I didnt really think about this until today, But Sidewinder opened in 1991 which 2011 would be the 20th anniversary. I think that Hersheypark could advertise something like Celebrating 20 Years with a new train for Sidewinder or something of that nature... Almost Like 2007 when it celebrated 100 years with the addition of the boardwalk
    gardener14
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  gardener14 Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:08 pm

I'm looking forward to trying the new train later in the summer, and I hope it improves the ride. However, I only rode Wildcat once when it got new trains, and I've avoided it since. It was still painfully rough for me. Did I have an unfair experience with Wildcat's new trains? Do others actually think the ride is more comfortable than it was previously? I'd be willing to give it another try if others think it's worthwhile. Then, in essence, I'd have two new coasters at HP this year.
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:39 pm

gardener14 wrote:I'm looking forward to trying the new train later in the summer, and I hope it improves the ride. However, I only rode Wildcat once when it got new trains, and I've avoided it since. It was still painfully rough for me. Did I have an unfair experience with Wildcat's new trains? Do others actually think the ride is more comfortable than it was previously? I'd be willing to give it another try if others think it's worthwhile. Then, in essence, I'd have two new coasters at HP this year.
    I have never rode Wildcat when it had the PTC trains, but to me Wildcat is still rough and it is recomended that if you do ride, the better seat is the front row. It rattles a lot, but the final helix before the brakes is where the worst is at in my opinion.
    ChiefRedskin89 wrote:This looks absolutly amazing! This was a much needed and reletivly cheap improvement. Also did anyone see this coming? I wanted it to but didn't at all!
    When I saw it not on the Springtime ride list, I did jokingly think, "Could they be finally getting new trains for it? Nah, I kind of doubt it since the ride and queue have remained untouched since it opened. It's probably closed because they might have not had enough time to get their off-season inspections finished."
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:50 pm

Ccron10 wrote:"It's probably closed because they might have not had enough time to get their off-season inspections finished."
    People in the park would be losing their jobs if this happened,. Smile

I'm really glad that they got a new train...I really am!
    pushingbuttons
    pushingbuttons
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  pushingbuttons Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:37 am

gb980109 wrote:
    Ccron10 wrote:"It's probably closed because they might have not had enough time to get their off-season inspections finished."
    How would they have enough time to complete all the off season inspections and all the modifications that need to happen if they just got the train in?
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:53 am

I agree. They did the same thing to Wildcat when it received the Millennium Flyers. It takes time to adjust whenever a coaster is receiving new trains.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:02 pm

pushingbuttons wrote:
    gb980109 wrote:
    How would they have enough time to complete all the off season inspections and all the modifications that need to happen if they just got the train in?
    It's one thing if the train arrived later than expectations, or it was only scheduled to arrive late in the off-season, but if the ride is simply not ready to go for Springtime operations, that would be bad news for someone.
    The Storm Runner
    The Storm Runner
    Contributor
    Contributor

Post  The Storm Runner Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:06 pm

gardener14 wrote:I'm looking forward to trying the new train later in the summer, and I hope it improves the ride. However, I only rode Wildcat once when it got new trains, and I've avoided it since. It was still painfully rough for me. Did I have an unfair experience with Wildcat's new trains? Do others actually think the ride is more comfortable than it was previously? I'd be willing to give it another try if others think it's worthwhile. Then, in essence, I'd have two new coasters at HP this year.

It really depends. I recommend getting over there earlier in the day. Not only are there no lines anywhere in Midway America, but also Wildcat rides smoother, in my experiences. I have had some incredibly butter-smooth rides on it. Like, shockingly smooth. The PTCs were much rougher. Back with the PTCs, there seemed to be more "I can't ride Wildcat anymore because it hurts my (insert body part here)". Now it's more of a "Wow, I didn't really like that one. It gave me a headache. (Two minutes later) I'm completely fine." To me, I've always loved Wildcat. I've never had a problem with it. Smile

As for Sidewinder, I can't wait to ride it with the new restraints! It'll be so nice not having to worry about which side to put your head during the cobra roll/boomerang, at the risk of banging your head. Can't wait! bounce

By the way, am I the only one who is reminded of Conestoga when looking at this emoticon: sunny ?
    Jeter1186
    Jeter1186
    Little Phantom Level
    Little Phantom Level

Post  Jeter1186 Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:47 pm

I rode sidewinder on saturday, and let me say, it will be the last time that I ride it! I found the new restraints to be a huge improvement, I found out that they also hold you in nice and snug which is a plus for this ride. But the major dissapointmet was the head banging. During the time that it was going forward it was ok, but going backwords was awfull. The padding on the back where the head is, is rock hard, it was so bad that I had to try to hold my head forward to prevent it from banging the back of the seat. When I got off I had a major headache, that is why I will never ride it again. I even found wildcat to be smoother than it.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:51 pm