Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is online?

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 146 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:59 pm

5 posters

Hersheypark: June 2nd Park Update

Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Hersheypark: June 2nd Park Update Empty Hersheypark: June 2nd Park Update

Post  Ccron10 Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:28 am

Here's an update on park happenings from today. I'll also include my first-ever Boardwalk review as well.
    Crowds were moderate when I arrived around 2pm, but after 5pm just about every ride was reduced to either a one to two train wait or it was a walk-on. On to the Boardwalk!
    Since when it was built in 2007, I have only walked through it once and have never ridden anything. After today, I can't believe what I missed out on! Here's my review on what I have ridden in order:

Roller Soaker: I wouldn't compare it to Trailblazer because it kind of has it's own unique feel to it. Once I got in line, the ride broke down. Given that I came very close to getting the credit back in 2006 and was not about ready to have the oppertunity slip away from me again so I waited the 15 to 20 minutes in the station for maintenance to get it back up and running. Got soaked and while it wasn't an intense, airtime-filled coaster, it is very gentile and what makes it good is the ability to drop water on others. I wouldn't wait more than 15 minutes for it from here on out.

Intercoastal Waterway: I have never stepped foot inside The SeaQuel when it was finished and it was kind of cool trying to think back to when it was under construction. This Lazy River I rank to be better than any of Dorney's on the fact that it's very nicely themed (infact more than what I realized!). One great option is the fact that you can go around as many times as you want and not have to get off! Smile

Tidal Force: Best Hopkins Shoot-the-Chute I've been on. Only a 10 minute wait for the front and if you get off dry, then you never rode it. Smile

Coastline Plunge: I can now see why Western Chute Out was removed. Since I was alone, I was only allowed to ride Vortex and Riptide:
    -Vortex: Waited close to 15 minutes for this slide and the only minor problem I have for this ride is the queue going up to the loading platform. The stairs share the same queue for these two slides and when one is a different queue length, you would sometimes get people from the other line blocking the other side creating confusion. As for the ride, you enter the bowl at a great rate of speed that felt faster than the one I've been on up in Erie. I got a good 3 to 4 rotations in before entering the splash pool. Great slide.
    -Riptide: Whenever would look at the slide tower before, I would always think that the 2 normal slides would probably be very tame and not very intense. I was wrong and I must say Riptide has to be my favorite slide so far. The double drop at the top creates a good airtime feel and the ending was intense with my tube being almost 90 degrees. I should've rode this again since it had less than a 5 minute wait.
    East Coast Water Works was closed briefly so I decided to try that another time.

The Shore: If there weren't so many school groups there, I think it would be better. 5 minutes with the waves off and 10 minutes with the waves on really works and it really completes the Boardwalk.

I then rode ICWW again then went over to the rest of the park. My final verdict is that while the Boardwalk doesn't have a tremendous amount of slides like Dorney's has, the place makes up for itself in quality. The theming is excellent for the rides, it's not all generic concrete, the structures are themed, and I feel I had a great time overall. I just now need to ride Whirlwind and Surge and the body slides in ECWW.

Here's what I rode in order and the wait times:
    Lightning Racer: 1 train wait with a one train operation.
    Boardwalk
    Wildcat: Less than 5 minutes for front row with two train operation.
    Sidewinder: walk-on all day (see below for some new sponsor-related stuff around the ride).
    Looper: Walk-on for front row (the station was completely empty).
    Comet: Walk-on for back seat (2 trains).
    RECC: Walk-on
    Monorail: 1 train wait (1 train).
    Great Bear: walk-on (2 trains).
    Storm Runner: walk-on (2 trains).
    Sidewinder again (only me and 2 other people rode).
    Fahrenheit: 3 times in a row until closing sitting in the middle, back, then front (3 train operation).

Rides Closed:
    Pirate was closed all day.
    Kissing Tower was closed a lot, but opened later.

Oh, I also want to make note that they have new trading pins. Most of these from what I saw range from $5.99 to $9.99. The now have quite a few new ride-related ones.

Hersheypark: June 2nd Park Update 248137_2000112355975_1038519439_2366888_4093970_n
    Yet again they tie the sponsoring into the theme of the ride. That would be fun to hear how Six Flags would tie Stride gum train wraps into the El Toro theme. Razz

Hersheypark: June 2nd Park Update 254329_2000112515979_1038519439_2366890_7011300_n
    The old snack stand is finally being used for something. There are also some strange footprints of a bear or lizard in the first queue row (similar to the gekko footprints at Fender Bender).

Hersheypark: June 2nd Park Update 247158_2000112795986_1038519439_2366891_5359498_n
    I'll leave you with a shot of Storm Runner. Hope you enjoyed my update! Smile

Last edited by Ccron10 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Hersheypark: June 2nd Park Update Empty Re: Hersheypark: June 2nd Park Update

Post  HPCrazy Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:25 am

Seems like they continue to add little things here and there since the season began in April. Similar to the several things that I found on opening day like the new Rita's stand. I was surprised they didn't have the Outback signs up when they finally opened up Sidewinder. In fact I never even knew that it had a sponsor this year when I first rode it until I looked at the park map later. I sort of like the Outback tie-in to Sidewinder as it sort of fits in with the western theming happening throughout.

Can't wait until Sunday! I'm hoping to get lots of pics of the Boardwalk as this will probably be one of the few times this year that I plan on doing so. I know you said you were going to stop by the Boardwalk yesterday, glad it went well for you. Hopefully you'll get to try the rest of it out someday.
    HPfangirl4life
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  HPfangirl4life Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:53 am

Nice update! I love going at 5pm on a midweek weekday. You can get on everything...including waterpark stuff...with almost no lines at all.

I still need to try out at least half of the slides. And I've told you before that I have not been on Tidal Force since at least 2001. So those are a must this year. I like the wave pool, but the waves are too strong for me. I actually get sea sick feeling...terrible for riding anything later. So I've learned to stay in the shallow part and just enjoy the sunshine. But the lazy river rocks! I could ride that thing for a long time and be content. ECWW is a slight thorn in my side. I love the structure, some of the slides (that I've been on) and the interactivity with water. What I do not like is the jerk kids that feel the need to direct a hose of water directly at your eyes (I've told several that I will hurt them severely if they do it again...that seems to work) nor do I like the giant bucket of water that dumps on those standing in line for the purple body slide. The slide is awesome, but due to the bucket only worth it if there is no wait. Good luck with that since it's the tallest body slide. But seriously that bucket full of water is freezing even on the hottest day. I've stood under that for 30 minutes and then 40 minutes waiting for that slide. After that I said I would never wait like that again. My lips were blue from the cold water.

Can't wait for Sunday! I desparately need a Park day! It looks like it will be an icky, sticky day...what are our chances of possibly riding the slides and lazy river? Hopefully the threat of storms will dissuade people from going to the park.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:39 am

I'm not planning on doing any of the Boardwalk attractions on Sunday, just mainly walking through the area to take pics and video. This will be the trip for me to do that, even though I'll be there other times during the season as well.
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:53 pm

Can't wait for Sunday! I desparately need a Park day! It looks like it will be an icky, sticky day...what are our chances of possibly riding the slides and lazy river? Hopefully the threat of storms will dissuade people from going to the park.
    I'll remember to pack my swim shorts then on Sunday! Smile I can't wait to do Coastline plunge again and try out the slides on ECWW.
    Fanatic
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:03 pm

Great update. Very Happy Thanks for keeping us all posted on things here and there.

I have not been on anything in Boardwalk, either. Well, the slides and pools at least. I've been on Tidal Force plenty of time (Always try to go twice in a trip) and RollerSoaker once. I would always go on CRR when it was still around - it was one of my favorite rides at the park. Also, I've been on all of the Frontier Shootout slides, yet I have not been on any of the new slides in the Boardwalk.

I walk through the Boardwalk all the time and check out the food and game stalls, and whatever other little activities they have there. To be honest, I always pass the water rides by. But your experience might convince me to give them a try. Smile I'll definitely consider it on my next visit to HP.

Also, I can't exactly make it out - what is the old snack stand being used for now (I believe it was mentioned somewhere but I
    forget where exactly)...?
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:24 pm

^ Sidewinder's is being currently as a billboard. A good use for it given that it hasn't been used in many, many years. Wink
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:26 pm

Ccron10 wrote:
    I'll remember to pack my swim shorts then on Sunday! Smile I can't wait to do Coastline plunge again and try out the slides on ECWW.

Actually, I'm not planning on doing anything in the Boardwalk. I'll be walking through to get pics and video but that's about it. If you plan on doing anything in there, let us know what you think of the rest. Sounds like you had a blast yesterday checking it out! Wink
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:18 pm

HPCrazy wrote:
    Ccron10 wrote:

Actually, I'm not planning on doing anything in the Boardwalk. I'll be walking through to get pics and video but that's about it. If you plan on doing anything in there, let us know what you think of the rest. Sounds like you had a blast yesterday checking it out! Wink
    Ok, then maybe we could do the Boardwalk and maybe meet back up with you later. Wink
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:49 pm

Glad we got it worked out to just TF and RS for this trip. At least Alex can join you guys for those two rides and the three of you will come off soaking wet and cool. Wink
    FlyersFan
    FlyersFan
    Hydra: The Revenge Level
    Hydra: The Revenge Level

Post  FlyersFan Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:59 pm

I was there last Tuesday and the waterpark was packed. We had a 20 minute wait just to get on the intercoastal waterway. The wavepool also had a queue and about a 10 minute wait. I just don't understand having to wait in line at a wavepool. The rest was cool. I didn't get on anything outside of ECWW because the lines were down the ramp for the tube slides. I noticed throughout that they should have really thought about how to separate the lines so people know which line they are waiting in. I was in ECWW and waited 10 minutes for a slide that was about a 3 minute wait because nobody knew what line they were supposed to be in. Honestly parts of the waterpark seemed thrown together but it is themed very well and was overall a great time.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:11 pm