Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is online?

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 146 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:59 pm

+3
gb980109
FlyersFan
vw87tech
7 posters

Hershey factory closing?

vw87tech
    vw87tech
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Hershey factory closing? Empty Hershey factory closing?

Post  vw87tech Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:22 pm

Does anyone know if there is any truth to this? First time I have heard about it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37453880/ns/business-us_business/t/original-hersheys-factory-may-close/
    FlyersFan
    FlyersFan
    Hydra: The Revenge Level

Hershey factory closing? Empty Re: Hershey factory closing?

Post  FlyersFan Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:18 pm

That article is from June 2010. I doubt it is closing because I think we would have heard something by now.
    vw87tech
    vw87tech
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  vw87tech Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:59 pm

Thats what I thought. Just wasn't sure if the locals had heard anything else.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:10 pm

It is closing. The west plant is being expanded currently and once it's completed and production begins, the old east factory will be closed, though the offices will remain in use.

Links:
    http://www.npr.org/templates/text/s.php?sId=130079220&m=1

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2010/06/hershey_workers_i_didnt_think.html

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2010/09/hershey_plant_project_receives.html?mobRedir=false

Last edited by gb980109 on Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:21 am; edited 2 times in total
    vw87tech
    vw87tech
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  vw87tech Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:42 pm

Boy that sucks. Hopefully they dont change the outside of the plant. I would hate to see it torn down.
    I just hope the chocolate aroma stays in the park.
    FlyersFan
    FlyersFan

Post  FlyersFan Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:46 pm

I stand corrected. It seems like a good business plan to me.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:23 am

vw87tech wrote:Boy that sucks. Hopefully they dont change the outside of the plant. I would hate to see it torn down.
    I just hope the chocolate aroma stays in the park.
    The Hershey Company wants to tear the factory down (except for the offices). The Trust won't let them. They are purchasing the property and will be renting it to The Hershey Company (if it hasn't already).

The chocolate aroma really hasn't been around for a few years now. Production has been nearly shut down at this point; it's running at a very small capacity for production. Also, since 2009, the Monorail speech mentions that the factory is no longer in heavy use - the speech specifically says that the silo's once held tons of pounds of cocoa, while the speech used to say that the silo's hold tons of pounds of cocoa.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:26 am

I also heard that change with the monorail spiel on Sunday. I didn't take notice in 2009/10 though. Yeah, when the trains rumble through there, they just go past without stopping now. What would be replacing the silos when full production begins at the west Hershey Plant? I mean I highly doubt that they're going to build new silos over there for daily use lol. Also the advance in technology with this move would probably mean some possible updates to the Chocolate World ride, wouldn't you think.

I'm glad the Trust isn't allowing them to tear it down. If for one thing, they ought to convert it into a museum showcasing the history of the company and how Mr. Hershey started it out. It would be a nice feature for the town since the Hershey Story pretty much covers the entire town and not just the plant.
    vw87tech
    vw87tech
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  vw87tech Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:48 pm

I agree they really should turn a portion of the old factory into a muesum. I ve been wanting to go in there for the last 25 years. Toss a gift shop in and open the old monrail station and your set.
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:38 pm

I think the first time I heard of this was last winter when one of the cashiers at Chocolate World said something to me about it. I first thought that it was just a wild rumor until a few days later.
    Personally I think tearing the factory down would be a consequential move that could hurt the town since it's very iconic for it.
    Fortunately, I did see an article a few months ago talking about the factory to possibly turned into either apartments, office spaces, possibly stores, etc.
    Looks like I'll now have the main factory now almost literally across the street from me. Looking forward to the mornings of going outside and smelling the chocolate. Smile
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:45 pm

Yeah, I remember you mentioning that someone at Chocolate World told you that. I really think they should make a museum out of it, explaining the entire history of the Hershey Company. Like what vw87tech mentioned, they could also put a gift shop in there to help generate some revenue and maybe a factory-themed restaurant/cafe of some sort. The Hershey Story would be for the entire history of the town besides the chocolate company. It would be a nice attraction to do in the off-season as well.

You're right, the west Hershey Plant is almost directly across the street from your place. That would be cool, although you'd probably get used to the smell after awhile. Wink
    gardener14
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  gardener14 Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:57 pm

Where exactly is the West Hershey factory located? I don't think I've ever seen it when I've visited the park and the area.
    CoasterBGW
    CoasterBGW
    Sky Rocket Level
    Sky Rocket Level

Post  CoasterBGW Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:10 am

http://goo.gl/br7yI
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:38 am

It would put the re-located and expanded plant almost behind the Reese's plant.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:23 pm

HPCrazy wrote:It would put the re-located and expanded plant almost behind the Reese's plant.
    No, they expanded the West plant towards Hersheypark Drive. The shell of the building expansion was completed several weeks ago...there were two large cranes which built the shell of the building structure. They're also building a new entrance for the West plant (which is currently on West Chocolate Avenue) on Hersheypark Drive at the intersection with Clearwater Road. It's quite an impressive expansion they've been working on since February.
    gardener14
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  gardener14 Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:39 pm

CoasterBGW wrote:http://goo.gl/br7yI
    Thank you.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:26 pm