Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is online?

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 146 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:59 pm

5 posters

Hersheypark's Themed Areas & Atmosphere

HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Hersheypark's Themed Areas & Atmosphere Empty Hersheypark's Themed Areas & Atmosphere

Post  HPCrazy Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:32 pm

I know we've been getting off topic a bit regarding the theming in Hersheypark in the Skyrush thread so I thought I would move such discussion to this thread. Any thoughts, comments and/or concerns regarding the themed areas of Hersheypark can be discussed here.
    warhawk911
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Hersheypark's Themed Areas & Atmosphere Empty Re: Hersheypark's Themed Areas & Atmosphere

Post  warhawk911 Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:41 pm

In reality....Minetown does have a semi theme going there with the station design (not necessarily the layout) as well as Coal Cracker. Some of the buildings do look like they belong in a Mining town but a few of the rides (Red Baron, Flying Falcon, Frog Hopper) should be in another section. Boardwalk is indeed a classic theme IMO because well...it's a waterpark Very Happy. Say what you will about Midway America (seperated into two in the Rides Department) but Roller Soaker should really be part of the Boardwalk and NOT Midway America.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Hersheypark's Themed Areas & Atmosphere Empty Re: Hersheypark's Themed Areas & Atmosphere

Post  HPCrazy Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:27 pm

Roller Soaker is part of the Boardwalk. It used to belong to Midway. It definitely fits in with the Boardwalk a lot better.

Minetown should receive some upgrades. That area looks pretty much as it did in 1990 except with the Frog Hopper and Great Bear added. I don't know if Great Bear's station really ties into the theme at all and Gourmete Grille is really just an older building that was repurposed throughout the years and fits in more with Tower Plaza than Minetown. I never could understand why the Tower and Twin Turnpike were repurposed for Minetown because that area has nothing to do with a coal mining theme. They even still mention Tower Plaza on the monorail spiel so why not repurpose it back to its original state. Minetown Restaurant/Arcade resembles a coal generating plant so that fits in well with Coal Cracker alongside it.

I'm really surprised why the Aquatheatre was left where it is. That would work a lot better over in ZooAmerica where they could even enclose it and use it year round. The Aquatheatre's space would be very suitable for another flat.

They should move Tiny Tracks to Comet Hollow somewhere for next year just so that area has another ride other than Wave Swinger. Having three coasters and one flat just doesn't justify a well balanced section to me. Having Tilt-A-Whirl back in Founder's Circle is a great move because it's balancing out the ride selection over there and removing another kiddie ride from that section that could be put elsewhere.

When the Boardwalk was originally built, they also should've not included sand along the main path out in Midway, or even in front of the restrooms out there. That really helps deteriorate the theming out there. Those restrooms are considered part of Midway thus they should've landscaped that whole side with shrubbery and mulch. It would've tied a lot better into the theming. The sand should've been kept on the Boardwalk side of Coastline Plunge's tower. The tent also needs to go too. That should've left a long time ago. That's prime real estate for at least two new flats. I walked in there during the Chevy Ride and Fly event on July 16th and I just can't believe the wasted space that that facility occupies. The Fun Slides also need to go, they're just pointless. Perhaps keep one of them to set up at Candylane but otherwise, ditch them. They can fit another carnival-style ride there to compliment the midway theming. I think if the tent and Fun Slides go along with Racer's overflow, I think we have lots of space for new flats right there.

The idea of some of Founder's Circle's theming being stripped out since 2005 that was mentioned over in the Skyrush thread doesn't hold any water. The area doesn't look any different than it did in 2005 other than moving Dinosaur-Go-Round over there. It actually looks better than Carrousel Circle did (minus the Giant Wheel). Tudor and Rhineland have also received new paint on a majority of the structures over the last several years (Chocolate House, Kosher Mart/Skyride station, and Hospitality Services to name a few). Kosher Mart even received a brand spank'n new roof. All that along with Hersheypark Place and new signage have definitely helped refresh those areas. I think if they would've let those areas stay the way they were over ten years ago, they would look very antiquated and something from the 70's.

Anyways, that's all my two-cents regarding all of this. Wink
    warhawk911
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  warhawk911 Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:47 pm

HPCrazy wrote:Roller Soaker is part of the Boardwalk. It used to belong to Midway. It definitely fits in with the Boardwalk a lot better.

And yet it is runned by Ride Operators from the Midway Racer ride group!

HPCrazy wrote:Minetown should receive some upgrades. That area looks pretty much as it did in 1990 except with the Frog Hopper and Great Bear added. I don't know if Great Bear's station really ties into the theme at all and Gourmete Grille is really just an older building that was repurposed throughout the years and fits in more with Tower Plaza than Minetown. I never could understand why the Tower and Twin Turnpike were repurposed for Minetown because that area has nothing to do with a coal mining theme. They even still mention Tower Plaza on the monorail spiel so why not repurpose it back to its original state. Minetown Restaurant/Arcade resembles a coal generating plant so that fits in well with Coal Cracker alongside it.

I never could understand Turnpike being there. That always did bug me so I will agree with you there. Kissing Tower though....It sits perfectly for the overview you get when you go up. Of course....you could get that from almost anywhere in the park with that elevator! LOL

HPCrazy wrote:I'm really surprised why the Aquatheatre was left where it is. That would work a lot better over in ZooAmerica where they could even enclose it and use it year round. The Aquatheatre's space would be very suitable for another flat.

Never thought of that. Now that I am...I agree 100% with you.

HPCrazy wrote:They should move Tiny Tracks to Comet Hollow somewhere for next year just so that area has another ride other than Wave Swinger.

I will tell you that the Ride Operators in Hollow would revolt if this ever occured. They were all so happy when Founders Circle was declared its own group so that they no longer had to operate those rides.

HPCrazy wrote: Having three coasters and one flat just doesn't justify a well balanced section to me. Having Tilt-A-Whirl back in Founder's Circle is a great move because it's balancing out the ride selection over there and removing another kiddie ride from that section that could be put elsewhere.

I'm still not 100% sure where Tilt is going to go. I heard a rumor that Tiny Tracks might be shelved but I haven't heard anything about that so I'm not putting much stock in that till I see the new map next year. Tilt could work in FC but I think it'll be better out in MA personally.

HPCrazy wrote:When the Boardwalk was originally built, they also should've not included sand along the main path out in Midway, or even in front of the restrooms out there. That really helps deteriorate the theming out there. Those restrooms are considered part of Midway thus they should've landscaped that whole side with shrubbery and mulch. It would've tied a lot better into the theming. The sand should've been kept on the Boardwalk side of Coastline Plunge's tower. The tent also needs to go too. That should've left a long time ago. That's prime real estate for at least two new flats. I walked in there during the Chevy Ride and Fly event on July 16th and I just can't believe the wasted space that that facility occupies. The Fun Slides also need to go, they're just pointless. Perhaps keep one of them to set up at Candylane but otherwise, ditch them. They can fit another carnival-style ride there to compliment the midway theming. I think if the tent and Fun Slides go along with Racer's overflow, I think we have lots of space for new flats right there.

I know many people will agree with taking out the Slides. I also agree with you in regards to the sand. The sand really is pointless where it is located. The sand in the actual boardwalk area is perfect but not outside of it.

HPCrazy wrote:The idea of some of Founder's Circle's theming being stripped out since 2005 that was mentioned over in the Skyrush thread doesn't hold any water. The area doesn't look any different than it did in 2005 other than moving Dinosaur-Go-Round over there. It actually looks better than Carrousel Circle did (minus the Giant Wheel). Tudor and Rhineland have also received new paint on a majority of the structures over the last several years (Chocolate House, Kosher Mart/Skyride station, and Hospitality Services to name a few). Kosher Mart even received a brand spank'n new roof. All that along with Hersheypark Place and new signage have definitely helped refresh those areas. I think if they would've let those areas stay the way they were over ten years ago, they would look very antiquated and something from the 70's.

Anyways, that's all my two-cents regarding all of this. Wink

Fully agreed on this.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:43 pm

I do agree that Tilt would really fit in out in Midway but I sort of like the idea of it returning to Founder's Circle. I remember having my first rides on it there, plus it could still be open for Candylane as well.

Speaking of Candylane, I never could understand why they never opened up that area out there for Christmas, other than those few times that they had a holiday-themed laser show. There are several rides out there that could run for Christmas (minus Ferris Wheel and the coasters).
    warhawk911
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  warhawk911 Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:56 pm

HPCrazy wrote:I do agree that Tilt would really fit in out in Midway but I sort of like the idea of it returning to Founder's Circle. I remember having my first rides on it there, plus it could still be open for Candylane as well.

Granny Bugs and a slide from the Merry Derry Dip Fun Slide are both out in Midway America and both come down to Hollow for Candylane. Grannybugs is under the shelter across from Looper and next to the Fun Slide. Very Happy

HPCrazy wrote:Speaking of Candylane, I never could understand why they never opened up that area out there for Christmas, other than those few times that they had a holiday-themed laser show. There are several rides out there that could run for Christmas (minus Ferris Wheel and the coasters).

I really don't know about that. I always wonder that too considering that some of the park is open out that way but stops just past the claw.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:21 pm

warhawk911 wrote:And yet it is runned by Ride Operators from the Midway Racer ride group!
    Because it's more of a ride than it is a water attraction.
    warhawk911 wrote:I will tell you that the Ride Operators in Hollow would revolt if this ever occured. They were all so happy when Founders Circle was declared its own group so that they no longer had to operate those rides.
    If there's any kiddie ride to pick up from Founder's Circle, Tiny Tracks is probably the best one.
    warhawk911
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  warhawk911 Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:33 pm

gb980109 wrote:
    warhawk911 wrote:And yet it is runned by Ride Operators from the Midway Racer ride group!

True and I agree but the group wants nothing to do with it Very Happy

gb980109 wrote:
    warhawk911 wrote:I will tell you that the Ride Operators in Hollow would revolt if this ever occured. They were all so happy when Founders Circle was declared its own group so that they no longer had to operate those rides.
    If there's any kiddie ride to pick up from Founder's Circle, Tiny Tracks is probably the best one.

Yea tiny tracks probably is the best one. That or Starship America. I think I'd go more Starship though than Tiny Tracks.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:40 pm

warhawk911 wrote:
    gb980109 wrote:

I think there's about 2 people who do, haha!
    warhawk911
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  warhawk911 Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:15 pm

gb980109 wrote:
    warhawk911 wrote:
    gb980109 wrote:

Actually....the majority of the people in Midway America Racer group want that ride taken out
    vw87tech
    vw87tech
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  vw87tech Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:35 pm

I thought the slides were orginally for candycane lane. Werent they in pioneer frontier during the candylane. then they were brought out for midway america yearound. I think i remember them near rodeo. rodeo was so cold in december. I might be wrong thou.
    warhawk911
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  warhawk911 Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:59 pm

vw87tech wrote:I thought the slides were orginally for candycane lane. Werent they in pioneer frontier during the candylane. then they were brought out for midway america yearound. I think i remember them near rodeo. rodeo was so cold in december. I might be wrong thou.

All I know is that the Slides have been located down in Comet Hollow during Candylane the last few years.
    vw87tech
    vw87tech
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  vw87tech Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:58 pm

yeah I am talkin late 90s. Right before midway was built.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:59 am

warhawk911 wrote:
    gb980109 wrote:
    warhawk911 wrote:
    gb980109 wrote:

Actually....the majority of the people in Midway America Racer group want that ride taken out
    I meant there are about 2 people who want to have anything to do with the ride.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:30 am

vw87tech wrote:I thought the slides were orginally for candycane lane. Werent they in pioneer frontier during the candylane. then they were brought out for midway america yearound. I think i remember them near rodeo. rodeo was so cold in december. I might be wrong thou.

They used to set up the slide in the area where the First Aid building is next to the Claw. It was set up there beginning in the late 90's and on up through 2003. They started putting it in the Hollow in 2004/05ish. I really wish they would open up Midway, that area does have some potential to be open for Christmas.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:49 pm

I don't think there's much use in opening up Midway America for Candylane. There's a lot of nothing between Pioneer catering where the reindeer are kept and the three kiddie rides in Midway in Candylane operation terms. Yeah, it could be all decked out with lights and whatnot, but I just see that not being too useful.
    warhawk911
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  warhawk911 Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:11 pm

gb980109 wrote:I don't think there's much use in opening up Midway America for Candylane. There's a lot of nothing between Pioneer catering where the reindeer are kept and the three kiddie rides in Midway in Candylane operation terms. Yeah, it could be all decked out with lights and whatnot, but I just see that not being too useful.

That is probably why it isn't open just for that very reason.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:38 pm

Something else that was never mentioned is the space alongside Fahrenheit. I know what you're referring to regarding not that much along that path. I'm surprised they don't put in a flat next to Fahrenheit where the games stand is located. The games stand could slightly be moved to accomodate a smaller flat. I feel that's wasted space there and would add another new ride to Frontier in the process.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:18 pm

Yeah, they could remove the game for the flat, but I think that space is there, in part, for when there are events at Pioneer catering. It leaves a little bit of breathing room when the lines form at the time of the event there.
    ChiefRedskin89
    ChiefRedskin89
    Talon: Grip of Fear Level
    Talon: Grip of Fear Level

Post  ChiefRedskin89 Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:13 am

Putting a ride there I think would also look out of place, like a kid playing Roller Coaster Tycoon. It would have to be unnaturaly squeezed in and would make a very cowded park of the footpath narrow. It's the only way to get to Midway America and gets very crowded sometimes. I would rather have a unobstructed stroll then a small, children oriented flat.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:17 pm