Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is online?

In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 146 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:59 pm

+4
Fanatic
HPCrazy
billybobjoebob
Ccron10
8 posters

Flooding in the Hershey Area

Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Flooding in the Hershey Area Empty Flooding in the Hershey Area

Post  Ccron10 Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:39 pm

Flooding in the Hershey Area 309028_10150299473849121_386260324120_7742150_2022448947_n
    Photo by Bob Caton from the Inside Hershey facebook page.
    Wow. I was just on this road earlier today and there was hardly this much water (it was only under the 322/422 underpass).
    According to WGAL, Hersheypark has been severely flooded and most of the animals had to be moved to higher ground.
    billybobjoebob
    Little Phantom Level
    Little Phantom Level

Flooding in the Hershey Area Empty Re: Flooding in the Hershey Area

Post  billybobjoebob Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:47 pm

is the skyrush construction zone flooded? i would assume it is since it is so low:(
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:15 pm

billybobjoebob wrote:is the skyrush construction zone flooded? i would assume it is since it is so low:(
    Yes it is. Before the downpour we had this afternoon, much of the site looks like a river. I can't imagine what it looks like now.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:48 pm

I've been following the news and that walk-in fridge behind the Pizza Hut floated out and ruptured a gas line. I know they were concerned about a possible gas leak and have the area evacuated.
    Fanatic
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:09 pm

As of matter of fact, I was there last week. I had snapped a photo from across the street to send to someone. (Looking towards where the flooded picture was taken from, on 39)
    Flooding in the Hershey Area De4rye
    Definitely some serious flooding.
    chrisps
    Little Phantom Level
    Little Phantom Level

Post  chrisps Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:42 pm

the flooding in Lancaster is relly bad today they are talking about Hershey park on the local news right now they say most of the park is flooded and under water I hope that nothing is going to be damaged after this tropical storm that started to come into are area yesterday and it is going to keep raining tomorrow into possibly Sunday the local news is saying that Lancaster had over 5 inches of rain today and that is record amount of rain so fair this year we had over 50 inches of rain in our area this year. I hope that the coasters and the coasters stations are not going to be damaged by this flood this week from this tropical storm this week. It is thundering and raining hard in my area right now I have never seen anything like this in our area and I have been living in Lancaster for almost 28 years and I have never seen flooding like this in this area and in Hershey. I hope that everyone on this site in the Hershey area and the other parts of our area stay safe and dry tonight and tomorrow and on Friday we are going to have alot of cleaning up to do after this topical storm is done in our area by this weekend. I have herd of flooding like this seen my mom was a kid and that was over 50 years ago that happened from a tropical storm in this area and the rest of this area that we live in. I did not think that we would have this much rain today from this tropical storm today when I got out of bed after 1230pm today it was not raining in Lancaster the rain here in Lancaster started after 1pm today and is still coming down really heavy in Lancaster right now and there is still some rely heavy rain coming up from the south so we are not done with the heavy rain or the flooding or the thunder storms in our area yet. I will not forget this year because of the flooding this week and having a cat 1 hurricane hit our area almost 2 weeks ago this is a year to remember and never forget.
    vw87tech
    vw87tech
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  vw87tech Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:56 pm

I just saw a few photos of the park today from a buddy. Looks like the flooding might be worst then Agnes in '72.
    Does anyone have any more info on whats going on down there? From what I ve seen it looks bad real bad.

found these photos

http://www.fox43.com/entertainment/photos/wpmt-pictures-september-2011-flooding-in-central-pa-20110907,0,7792258.photogallery?index=wpmt-pictures-september-2011-flooding-in-centr-098

http://coasterfusion.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?12700.post
    woozybear
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  woozybear Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:31 pm

The flooding in the Hershey area is by far the worst I have ever seen. I was at work at Kmart in Hummelstown, and couldn't believe my eyes when I could see how high the water was. It was pretty amazing to step outside and see how much water can fill an area in such a short amount of time. Fortunately I was able to get home, even though it took me a good 45 minutes to an hour to do so.

I have not seen any pictures of the park yet, but I can only imagine how bad it is there. If there is a positive out of all this, it's thankfully this is happening now and not during busy season.
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:06 pm

Posted by Hersheypark on their Facebook page:
    As many of you know, today has been a very difficult day at ZooAmerica. First and foremost, the Zoo staff cares deeply about the safety and well-being of the animals in their care, and truly considers them members of their extended families.

Today the Zoo experienced unprecedented flooding, more than we experienced with Hurricane Ivan or any other severe weather event in the company's memory.

Th...e Zoo team began flood preparation two days ago by moving all animals to higher ground. Recognizing the likelihood of serious flooding, the team activated our animal evacuation plan at noon today to ensure that the animals were out of harm’s way. This plan has been in place and effective in all other weather-related emergencies that the Zoo has experienced.

Unfortunately, no one could anticipate a weather event that went from inches of rain to feet of flooding in a matter of a few short minutes. While we were able to ensure the safety of the vast majority of the animals in the Zoo, flood waters rose too quickly in the area occupied by two of the Zoo's bison and we were not able to rescue them.

Faced with the prospect of watching the extended suffering of the bison and their eventual death due to drowning, the Zoo staff chose the most humane path possible and euthanized the bison.

This is a very sad day for us, as we've built strong bonds with all the animals in our care. We can tell you that each of us feels this loss very deeply.
    vw87tech
    vw87tech
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  vw87tech Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:08 pm

just saw that as well.
    look like its really bad
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:40 pm

All Hershey attractions are closed for today and Hersheypark will not be open this weekend. Here's the notice from the Hersheypark website:
    Flooding in the Hershey Area 316165_10150364368845930_500510929_10395601_1858216564_n
    Fanatic
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:25 pm

Here is a video of the same area the photo was taken from..

Gives you a little broader view of the flooding. According to the narration, it was taken from the Sheetz gas station behind the Pizza Hut and Wendy's.

This video from the same user apparently shows the gas line that was mentioned earlier in the thread.
    Video 2 Link

This video, the same as the other two, is from a little bit past the Sheetz station.
    Video 3 Link

-The videos are from yesterday, Sept. 7. Some of you may have seen this particular view in person.

There's a good amount of videos of the flooding on YouTube, but here is a good one I also came upon.. (The same area as the photo and links)
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:59 pm

Just in from Hersheypark's fanpage:
    We very much appreciate many of your wishes, thoughts and prayers during this difficult time. We realize that just like our staff, many people are emotionally connected to every member of our Zoo family. Because of that connection, we fully understand why some have questions regarding what happened to our bison.

For those who didn’t have a chance to view it, last evening we did post on his page describing what happened.**

We’d like to try and answer questions that some have raised and give as much correct information as possible. While we don’t think this will lessen the feeling of loss that we're all experiencing, we do hope it will create a common understanding around what happened.

Question: Has a bison at ZooAmerica ever drowned or been euthanized in the past?
    Answer: We’ve never lost or euthanized a bison, or any large animal, due to flooding at any time - even including the flooding that occurred during hurricanes that have struck Hershey. Suggestions that bison were lost during Hurricane Ivan are incorrect.

Q: Are there any other animals that have perished from the flooding?
    A: There have been no other losses reported at this time. Reports that our wolves passes away are incorrect. All of the wolves were relocated to the highest portion of their enclosure during the storm. All four wolves are fine and the flood waters have currently receded from their enclosure.

Q: Did you have a plan in place and did you feel that it was effective?
    A: We do have a flood response plan, which we began implementing on Monday. Based on our past experience and during other milestone storms, our plan to first remove animals to higher ground and then, if necessary, relocate the animals has always been effective in securing their safety.
    This, however, was truly unprecedented flooding. Such unforeseen acts of nature are difficult to plan for - as all public and private entities within Derry Township discovered.

Q: Why didn’t you tranquilize and move the larger animals earlier in the week?
    A: Tranquilizing and moving large animals is stressful on them - and we only do it when absolutely necessary, not in the instance of every flood warning. Based on more than three decades of experience, the practice of moving the animals to higher ground would have given us enough time to tranquilize the bison and relocate them, should flooding become severe. But, again, the speed and ferocity of this storm was unlike any we’ve ever encountered. When the bison enclosure flooded so quickly, tranquilizing them become impossible, for once they were tranquilized they would have immediately been submerged in the flood water and drown.

Q: Were the bison moved to higher ground?
    A: Yes. They were moved to the highest ground within their enclosure earlier in the week.

Q: Why did you wait to close until noon on Wednesday?
    A: The fact that we were open to the public did not alter or impede our animals' safety. Animal relocation did not begin once we were closed; it had been ongoing throughout the week. The safety of our animals, employees and guests is our top priority. It always has been and always will be. We were working to ensure that our animals are in a safe conditions, according to the plan we have in place, throughout the week.

As we said last evening, this has been a very emotional and trying time for those at the Zoo - both our animals and employees. While we are all saddened by the loss of the bison, we must acknowledge the heroic efforts of the Zoo staff - some of whom have been working without sleep on behalf of the animals. Many willingly put themselves in harm’s way in order to protect and rescue the animals in their care (even rescuing wild animals that were in distress at the same time). We are extremely proud of the efforts of the Zoo staff, and share this loss with them.

** Hersheypark's correction to last evening's post: A single bison was euthanized after unsuccessful attempts to rescue the first bison resulted in that bison drowning.
    CoasterBGW
    CoasterBGW
    Sky Rocket Level
    Sky Rocket Level

Post  CoasterBGW Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:47 pm

Video from PennLive of Hersheypark (from today so the waters have mostly receded)

http://video-embed.pennlive.com/services/player/bcpid619299306001?bctid=1151653268001
    vw87tech
    vw87tech
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  vw87tech Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:33 pm

this is an amazing picture
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10150431265943975&set=pu.94124563974&type=1&theater

looks just like the agnes floods in '72
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:04 am

We've added a new post to our blog with photos of the flooding aftermath around the park:
    http://keystonethrills.wordpress.com/2011/09/09/hersheypark-dutch-wonderland-and-knoebels-the-flood-of-2011-9911/
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:59 am

Checked the update last night...great job! Very Happy
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:36 pm

Alright guys, wake up. Razz
    The park WILL be re-opening this Saturday with all rides with the possible exception of SDL and TF, being open. I'll be going over Sunday afternoon, so let me know if you want to hang out. Smile
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:51 pm

Was over in the area and I decided to walk down to the Main Gate and see what Lower Rhineland looks like.
    Flooding in the Hershey Area 293195_2277718935966_1038519439_2678216_1708266873_n
    They are still cleaning out the area, but they did add new mulch to the flowerbeds in Tram Circle and Tudor Square.

Flooding in the Hershey Area 318761_2277719175972_1038519439_2678217_136399464_n
    Many of the buildings in this area have been covered up to hide the interior.

Flooding in the Hershey Area 311078_2277719295975_1038519439_2678218_1023783803_n
    No lockers.

Flooding in the Hershey Area 320105_2277719935991_1038519439_2678220_1633191515_n
    The lizard is safe, but I heard he put up a struggle with the rescuers. No ZooAmerica Outpost yet.

Flooding in the Hershey Area 320900_2277720215998_1038519439_2678221_1731760366_n
    Guest Services has been moved up to Tram Circle.

Here's a list of buildings and rides that are either confirmed or possibly closed for this weekend.
    -Guest Services (moved to Tram Circle)
    -ZooAmerica Outpost
    -Rhineland Restrooms?
    -Tudor Square Restrooms?
    -S. Claus & Co. ?
    - Hersheypark Outfitters
    -Hershey Gifts
    -Nut Hut?

Pretty much most of Lower Rhineland will be closed.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:06 pm

Glad they covered up the windows. I was hoping they would do that to keep the remodeling out of guest's view.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:23 pm