Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is online?

In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 146 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:59 pm

+9
gb980109
JunkiesForFame
BrandonStrouphauer
Fanatic
Ccron10
FlyersFan
HPCrazy
The Storm Runner
PSUPrincess22
13 posters

Hersheypark: Sidewinder: New Train and Ferris Wheel: Update

PSUPrincess22
    PSUPrincess22
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Hersheypark: Sidewinder: New Train and Ferris Wheel: Update Empty Hersheypark: Sidewinder: New Train and Ferris Wheel: Update

Post  PSUPrincess22 Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:25 pm

So I thought I would jump on over to the park before it got to cold out and I heard the Sidewinder was up and running as well!
    For the first time in my life I actually said, "I wanna ride sidewinder!"

I waited 45 minutes... Yes, that's right. 45!!!! It was crazy crowded today for STITP!

Hersheypark: Sidewinder: New Train and Ferris Wheel: Update 04221110

Here's a picture of the new train!

Hersheypark: Sidewinder: New Train and Ferris Wheel: Update 04221111

There was foam on the backing as well as the seat which made it alot more comfortable then in the past. The restraint itself was almost like Superman at Six Flags. It was a foamy/rubber padding that was pressed up against your chest with a handle bar around that. You can actually hold your hands up now unlike on the last train. cheers
    No more headbanging, I almost forgot I was strapped in. It was pretty cool!
    Ride at least once and post your reviews below!!
    I give the new train thumbs up!!!

On another note, back in Midway America, Ferris Wheel is slowly coming back to life! I heard its going to be an automatic wheel! Here's a quick shot of it from today!
    Hersheypark: Sidewinder: New Train and Ferris Wheel: Update 04221112

Happy Easter everyone!!
    The Storm Runner
    The Storm Runner
    Contributor
    Contributor

Hersheypark: Sidewinder: New Train and Ferris Wheel: Update Empty Re: Hersheypark: Sidewinder: New Train and Ferris Wheel: Update

Post  The Storm Runner Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:31 pm

Holy cow that's a long line! Sounds like it was worth it, though. At least for a first time with the new train. Ferris Wheel just looks so bare the way it is. It'll help having the gondolas back, as well as the circle thing on the side of the axle that says "HersheyparK". I hope the pinwheel's up there, just for nostalgia. And maybe I'm weird, but I swear something looks different with those lights. They look like a bunch of little pricks, like the needle things in Storm Runner's station. I dunno.

Thanks for the pics and review! And well-played with the emoticon haha.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Hersheypark: Sidewinder: New Train and Ferris Wheel: Update Empty Re: Hersheypark: Sidewinder: New Train and Ferris Wheel: Update

Post  HPCrazy Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:38 pm

Thanks for the update! Now I'm excited to try that thing out! I don't think I've seen this many people who actually can't wait to ride the thing - lol! From what I saw on Sunday, the new train looked sweet!

By the way as far as the Ferris Wheel goes, I'm praying for LED's this year! Smile
    FlyersFan
    FlyersFan
    Hydra: The Revenge Level

Post  FlyersFan Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:07 pm

The Storm Runner wrote:Holy cow that's a long line! Sounds like it was worth it, though. At least for a first time with the new train. Ferris Wheel just looks so bare the way it is. It'll help having the gondolas back, as well as the circle thing on the side of the axle that says "HersheyparK". I hope the pinwheel's up there, just for nostalgia. And maybe I'm weird, but I swear something looks different with those lights. They look like a bunch of little pricks, like the needle things in Storm Runner's station. I dunno.

Thanks for the pics and review! And well-played with the emoticon haha.

It's not just you I saw the ferris wheel in person today and feel the lights are different. The sidewinder was so much better with the new train. It was a long wait but it was well worth it.
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:54 am

Here's my review and photos of the ride:
    https://keystonethrills.forumotion.com/t205-springtime-in-the-park-2011-thread#3741

I'll have a music video up soon.
    Fanatic
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:12 am

Looks like it was a fun day! That is definitely a longer line than usual, at least for me. Then again, I try to avoid crowded days. Smile Now I can see a little better how the restraint system works. I like it!
    BrandonStrouphauer
    BrandonStrouphauer
    Great Bear Level
    Great Bear Level

Post  BrandonStrouphauer Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:39 pm

I Want LED's on the ferris wheel!! And, I AM SOO EXCITED for Sidewinder's new trains. Being a season pass holder, it would spite me that a ride like Sidewinder I just could NOT ride because of the trains and head banging, and the crampy-ness, I would always feel SOO squished and unable to move while riding. VERY excited!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce Very Happy Very Happy
    FlyersFan
    FlyersFan

Post  FlyersFan Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:31 am

I got a long look at the lights on the ferris wheel today while my son ate his popcorn chicken. Sorry to say they are not led lights. Maybe next year. Also I rode sidewinder again today and the first ride wasn't a fluke. No head banging and it was very smooth.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:30 am

Can't wait to ride it next month. Finally, a new credit waiting! Smile
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:26 pm

Want a new video of Sidewinder? Of course you do! Smile

Enjoy!
    JunkiesForFame
    Trailblazer Level
    Trailblazer Level

Post  JunkiesForFame Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:25 am

I haven't rode the new trains on Sidewinder yet. But Carolina Cobra was amazing compared to it. Those trains made it into a whole different ride. It's great not to have the constant fear of a head thrashing.
    BrandonStrouphauer
    BrandonStrouphauer
    Great Bear Level
    Great Bear Level

Hersheypark: Sidewinder: New Train and Ferris Wheel: Update Empty Ferris wheel all back together yet??

Post  BrandonStrouphauer Mon May 02, 2011 10:00 pm

Does anybody know if the Ferris wheel cars/gondolas are back up yet? And the center swirly thing that used to be the Hersheypark logo up until 2006. I might have to drive past tomorrow and take some pics. I still am praying for LED lights. I <3 LED lights!! Very Happy
    FlyersFan
    FlyersFan

Post  FlyersFan Mon May 02, 2011 10:31 pm

^ No they aren't. I don't know if the ferris wheel is going to be open for opening day Friday or not. I have no clue how long it takes to put them back on though.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Mon May 02, 2011 10:36 pm

Well it's surely taking them long enough. You'd think they'd spend the money on LED's while they're at this instead of having to go through another future refurbishment again. The thing has been apart since early November, you'd think the ride would be almost like brand new by now.
    BrandonStrouphauer
    BrandonStrouphauer
    Great Bear Level
    Great Bear Level

Post  BrandonStrouphauer Mon May 02, 2011 10:42 pm

HPCrazy wrote:Well it's surely taking them long enough. You'd think they'd spend the money on LED's while they're at this instead of having to go through another future refurbishment again. The thing has been apart since early November, you'd think the ride would be almost like brand new by now.

====== I agree. While they did the work to get it down, they should of just did it then. Doesn't seem all that easy to keep taking down and putting back up. But, I think that ride does need LED's I liked the older look and feel of the old ones, but, LED's would be awesome. Hopefully they at least put in all new lights.
    FlyersFan
    FlyersFan

Post  FlyersFan Tue May 03, 2011 10:37 am

I agree led's would have been a much needed upgrade. Although I wonder if they aren't going with the led's because of the whole midway america theme. It is supposed to look like a classic midway fair. That is honestly the only reason I can think of that they wouldn't do the led package. I know led's would make many people happy for many different reasons. To me they look better but others would be happy to see the new energy efficient lighting.
    FlyersFan
    FlyersFan

Post  FlyersFan Thu May 05, 2011 4:32 pm

The ferris wheel is being finished as we speak. I just went past the park and the crane is beside it and only 1 more car needs to go on. So it looks like it will be open for opening day tomorrow.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Thu May 05, 2011 5:17 pm

That's great news! Hope it is open...can't wait to ride it! I'll try to get some pics and post them.
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Thu May 05, 2011 5:18 pm

FlyersFan wrote:The ferris wheel is being finished as we speak. I just went past the park and the crane is beside it and only 1 more car needs to go on. So it looks like it will be open for opening day tomorrow.
    I plan on going over that way for Subway tonight. I'll stop by to check it out. They'll probably will need to test and approve it, but I doubt that it will take long for that to happen.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Thu May 05, 2011 5:20 pm

If they only have one car to add, it's probably on by now. I'm sure they'll do a majority of that stuff today so they can try to have it up and running by tomorrow. I'll try to get pics when I'm there.
    FlyersFan
    FlyersFan

Post  FlyersFan Thu May 05, 2011 7:25 pm

Do any of you know how crowded the park is on the Friday of opening weekend? I am thinking that it won't be very bad since kids are still in school and College is still in session.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Thu May 05, 2011 7:27 pm

I don't know if any of you guys saw Flying Falcon running at night last year, but it didn't look good with all those LED lights that didn't work. If they do end up having LED lights on Ferris Wheel, they could potentially have the same problem, and that would be very unfortunate if Ferris Wheel did.
    FlyersFan
    FlyersFan

Post  FlyersFan Thu May 05, 2011 7:29 pm

Maybe they need to hire a better electrician then because there is no reason that led's wouldn't work if hooked up properly.
    pushingbuttons
    pushingbuttons
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  pushingbuttons Thu May 05, 2011 8:07 pm

FlyersFan wrote:The ferris wheel is being finished as we speak. I just went past the park and the crane is beside it and only 1 more car needs to go on. So it looks like it will be open for opening day tomorrow.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. It still needs to be finished being put together and then needs to do all of its preseason testing. I don't see it opening this weekend, maybe next weekend.

FlyersFan wrote:Maybe they need to hire a better electrician then because there is no reason that led's wouldn't work if hooked up properly.

The electricians at the park are very good and know exactly what they are doing. It's not their fault that the ride was built for regular lights and they tried to switch to LEDs without modifying the cars.

FlyersFan
    FlyersFan

Post  FlyersFan Thu May 05, 2011 8:17 pm

^ If the lights were installed correctly there is no reason they wouldn't work properly. It wouldn't matter if they were meant to be different lights considering to install the led's they would take all of the things out that were used with the old lighting. If they are as good as you say then maybe they were rushed. There is no reason some lights would work and some wouldn't unless they got faulty led's which is possible or they weren't hooked up properly. If they were rushed then maybe the park needs to put some more thought and planning into these things. I would rather they do things once and do it right. As for the ferris wheel it isn't a ride I would get my hopes up for but the question was asked a few days ago about the cars. I figured I would update the situation.

Last edited by FlyersFan on Thu May 05, 2011 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Thu May 05, 2011 8:36 pm

Went past and saw it testing. I would think if it wasn't going to open this weekend that they would just put it back together and just let it sit over the weekend instead of testing it.

FlyersFan
    FlyersFan

Post  FlyersFan Thu May 05, 2011 9:04 pm

I agree why test it in the evening if you weren't planning on opening it for the weekend? I think they would just wait until next week to test it if that was the case.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Thu May 05, 2011 10:02 pm

FlyersFan wrote:If they were rushed then maybe the park needs to put some more thought and planning into these things. I would rather they do things once and do it right.
    The electricians were working on the Flying Falcon all season long last year to fix it. When they would fix it, a week later it would be a problem again. It wasn't an expected situation, though the electricians anticipated that some of the lights wouldn't work.

LEDs (for rides especially) aren't cheap, and they take years to cover the costs. Pretty much by the time they have covered cost, it's time to replace them. It's not ideal for all rides (kiddie rides are better because they are easily accessible in most cases), and given that Ferris Wheel, a Chance Morgan ride, has Chance programming controlling the lights, LEDs would be more problematic than they're worth at the moment.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Thu May 05, 2011 10:26 pm

gb980109 wrote:
    FlyersFan wrote:If they were rushed then maybe the park needs to put some more thought and planning into these things. I would rather they do things once and do it right.
    The electricians were working on the Flying Falcon all season long last year to fix it. When they would fix it, a week later it would be a problem again. It wasn't an expected situation, though the electricians anticipated that some of the lights wouldn't work.

LEDs (for rides especially) aren't cheap, and they take years to cover the costs. Pretty much by the time they have covered cost, it's time to replace them. It's not ideal for all rides (kiddie rides are better because they are easily accessible in most cases), and given that Ferris Wheel, a Chance Morgan ride, has Chance programming controlling the lights, LEDs would be more problematic than they're worth at the moment.

Would this explain why it was taken apart during STITP?

Also, glad to hear the Ferris Wheel was testing. Sounds like they are really trying to get it up and running for tomorrow.

Since we're on the topic of LED's for the Ferris Wheel, just to let you know that Reithoffer had replaced all their lights on their portable model. Not only were they different colors and brighter, but the light show they put on was outstanding. IMO, it makes Hershey's look outdated.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Fri May 06, 2011 9:46 am

HPCrazy wrote:Would this explain why it was taken apart during STITP?

Also, glad to hear the Ferris Wheel was testing. Sounds like they are really trying to get it up and running for tomorrow.

Since we're on the topic of LED's for the Ferris Wheel, just to let you know that Reithoffer had replaced all their lights on their portable model. Not only were they different colors and brighter, but the light show they put on was outstanding. IMO, it makes Hershey's look outdated.
    It's certainly likely that's part of what they were doing with Flying Falcon in April.

I've seen the Ferris Wheel that's operating at the carnival in the parking lot of the Harrisburg Mall and I was impressed by how bright and vibrant the lights look. But, with that said, that's something I'm not as concerned about with Hersheypark's Ferris Wheel. Though I do agree that it looks outdated; I think it has since they moved to the new logo in 2007.
    coasteral

Post  coasteral Sat May 07, 2011 12:59 pm

I would like to know how intense sidewinder is going backwards??? I dont like going backwards on a rollercoaster.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Sat May 07, 2011 2:11 pm

It's not bad at all. I would definitely recommend that you try it. If it weren't for the new train, I still wouldn't be riding it.
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Sat May 07, 2011 11:13 pm

coasteral wrote:I would like to know how intense sidewinder is going backwards??? I dont like going backwards on a rollercoaster.
    We're going to drag you on it next time! Razz

By the way, Sidewinder is now sponsored by Outback Steakhouse.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Sat May 07, 2011 11:15 pm

Yes, I saw that when looking at the map better last night. That's something that was never mentioned on their website. Dry Gulch sponsored by Amtrak was listed on the STITP site.
    coasteral

Post  coasteral Wed May 11, 2011 3:34 pm

All right all right!!! Laughing There is a good chance I will ride it. Depending on where I sit. Ill try it. Laughing
    FlyersFan
    FlyersFan

Post  FlyersFan Thu May 12, 2011 11:39 pm

I'm headed to the park tomorrow afternoon. Anyone know if the Ferris Wheel is running yet?
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Fri May 13, 2011 12:47 am

FlyersFan wrote:I'm headed to the park tomorrow afternoon. Anyone know if the Ferris Wheel is running yet?
    It was running, but it wasn't open. They still need to add the logo covering the axis.
    Hersheypark: Sidewinder: New Train and Ferris Wheel: Update 228546_1953596353104_1038519439_2306056_5891253_n
    By the way, Sidewinder was closed today.
    FlyersFan
    FlyersFan

Post  FlyersFan Fri May 13, 2011 9:44 pm

The Ferris Wheel still isn't open but was testing all day. Should be open next week I would think.
    EastSideSweeper
    EastSideSweeper
    Kozmo's Kurves level
    Kozmo's Kurves level

Post  EastSideSweeper Sun May 15, 2011 6:08 pm

They opened the Ferris Wheel today between 10-11 I think. It closed when it started raining for a little bit, but it might have reopened when I got of my shift.
    woozybear
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  woozybear Sun May 22, 2011 1:00 am

The family and I went to Red Robin tonight, and I must say the ferris wheel looks pretty sharp at night. It never really caught my eye before, but it definitely seemed a lot brighter than before and definitely caught my attention. Don't know if may be new lights or just the fact that I never paid much attention before.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Sun May 22, 2011 9:55 am

Awesome! Hope someone gets a pic before I go back next month. You sure they weren't LED's?
    woozybear
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  woozybear Sun May 22, 2011 9:30 pm

I wanted to grab a picture, but couldn't because I was driving. I'll try to grab one Friday when I go down again. They did look like they could very well be LED's. If they aren't, they sure look pretty close to it.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Sun May 22, 2011 9:43 pm

That's a good sign. Can't wait to see it in person!
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Sun May 22, 2011 10:33 pm

woozybear wrote:I wanted to grab a picture, but couldn't because I was driving. I'll try to grab one Friday when I go down again. They did look like they could very well be LED's. If they aren't, they sure look pretty close to it.
    No problem! I took a picture last night:
    Hersheypark: Sidewinder: New Train and Ferris Wheel: Update 230436_1978144886802_1038519439_2334585_6572026_n
    The only thing is that they aren't animated, but oh well. Wink
    BrandonStrouphauer
    BrandonStrouphauer
    Great Bear Level
    Great Bear Level

Hersheypark: Sidewinder: New Train and Ferris Wheel: Update Empty YAY.

Post  BrandonStrouphauer Sun May 22, 2011 10:35 pm

LED'S!!! YAY!!! I think, they look like LED's!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
    Fanatic
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic Tue May 24, 2011 5:16 pm

Are they eventually going to be animated? Or are they keeping them static?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:32 pm