Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is online?

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 146 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:59 pm

+4
coasteral
ChiefRedskin89
Stormwinder
HPCrazy
8 posters

The York Fair

HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

The York Fair Empty The York Fair

Post  HPCrazy Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:58 am

It's fair time again here in York. For ten days in September, the annual great York Fair takes place. A tradition for me every year is to go in and see the exhibits, sample the great food that's available, take pictures and just enjoy the day!

Some of the stars for this year's Grandstand line-up include Kelly Clarkson and David Cook from American Idol, just to name a few. Trace Adkins is also scheduled to appear. Lots of free attractions including the popular racing pigs (popular event that takes place every year. I've seen them before, it's cute), Royal Haneford Circus, the Great Country Radio Stage featuring various country artists, and more! You can find out more by visiting their website.

This year's event runs from September 11-20. More information can be obtained from:
    http://www.yorkfair.com/
    Stormwinder
    Stormwinder
    Admin
    Admin

The York Fair Empty Re: The York Fair

Post  Stormwinder Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:43 pm

Ill be there on Thursday to see Alice Cooper and to enjoy the fair. Hope it does not rain. In addition to Alice Cooper I plan on seeing Love and Thef at the Country Stage, the pig races pig , and other things that the fair has to offer.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:56 am

That's cool. Unfortunately I won't be back in. I was in there on Sunday with Alex and my parents. Had lots to eat and just enjoyed myself. I also entered two pieces of artwork in which I've won first place and third.

Here's an image of the first place one:
    The York Fair 2009_y10

If you happen to get over to where the arts and crafts are located, you should have no trouble locating it.
    Stormwinder
    Stormwinder
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Stormwinder Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:14 pm

Your art looked really good. Congratulations on First Place! cheers
    I had a good time there too.

I Saw........
    Some animals.
    The York Fair 20953f5

The Lego exibit
    The York Fair 9gbibm

Love and Thef
    The York Fair 29awvwj

The Grandstands
    The York Fair 15eb8z6

Alice Cooper put on a great show. It was the best show I have ever seen at The York Fair and one of the best concerts I seen all year.
    The York Fair 15corh3

The York Fair F4jvrr
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:50 am

Thanks for the compliment! I'm assuming you saw it hanging in there. Where was the Lego's located? I don't remember seeing it anywhere. We mainly walked through the buildings and ate, ate and ate!
    ChiefRedskin89
    ChiefRedskin89
    Talon: Grip of Fear Level

Post  ChiefRedskin89 Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:20 pm

I was at the Alice Cooper concert and man did he sound great! Well hey glad you had a good time at the fair, Ive always loved it!
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:03 pm

As a lot of us locals know, the York Fair opens this Friday, Sept 10th, and lasts for ten days. Alex (coasteral) and I had the privilege of going over to the fairgrounds today to watch some of the set up. I might have a video or two on my Youtube page showing some of the effort of the set up. We'll be going to the fair this Sunday, Sept 12. Expect a small PTR to follow sometime after that.

Meanwhile since it's fair time again, let's try to expand on this topic a little. What's your favorite thing to do at the fair if you have attended in the past? Favorite food? Exhibits? Grandstand show(s)? Free show(s)? Pig Races? Feel free to post your favorite experiences here if you'd like!

EDIT:

Visit my Youtube Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/HPCrazy?feature=mhum#p/u/1/OtsyrdYYq0k

To see some of the prep work that goes into preparing this 10-day event.
    ChiefRedskin89
    ChiefRedskin89

Post  ChiefRedskin89 Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:28 pm

I haven't done much at the fair except the concerts so there obviously my favorite. My favorite food is deffenatly the deep fried oreos. I only eat them twice a year, once at the fair and once at the beach. There amazing! This year I will do the other parts of the fair because we get free parking and stuff and free food for Rutters Customer Appreciation Day!
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:24 pm

Never tried the fried Oreo's. What are they like? I always like the fish and sausage sandwiches, and the ice cream & waffles.
    ChiefRedskin89
    ChiefRedskin89

Post  ChiefRedskin89 Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:59 am

The fried Oreos are kind of like a chocolate funnel cake, the Oreo gets all soft inside. It is also probably the sweetest thing you will ever taste and you NEED a drink.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:34 am

Looks like the York Fair is switching ride suppliers for the 2011 edition of the fair:

York Fair drops longtime ride supplier for better deal

York, PA - A 31-year relationship with York Fair's ride supplier ended last week when a new contract was signed with a business offering a better deal.
    Reithoffer Shows had been servicing the fair since 1980, with iconic rides like the ferris wheel and the water flume, but fair president Gene Schenck said a cheaper offer was made.

Deggeller Attractions, a family owned and operated company based in Florida, closed the deal on a four-year contract with the fair Jan. 14.

"It was hard to say goodbye to Reithoffer," Schenck said Tuesday. "They're our friends, and we worked a long time with them -- but they couldn't match the offer."

Deggeller used to travel from the Maryland State Fair to North Carolina -- a trip of about 400 miles, Schenck said.

With the new contract, Deggeller will be in Maryland the week before the York Fair, and travel 40 miles to York County before heading to the Virginia State Fair.

"It was a perfect route for them," Schenck said.

In addition to a cheaper rate, Deggeller also was able to increase the minimum number of rides from 43 to 50, Schenck said.

The company was willing to work with the fair board to expand the use of wristbands, which were sold at the fair or at Weis Markets for a discounted rate. Schenck said he didn't expect the price of wristbands to change.

There will be some minor differences between the two companies, Schenck said.

Rides for younger children were located in Kiddieland, but will now be in Kiddie Kingdom. Most of the rides will be similar, Schenck said, and while there will be some minor changes, York County residents shouldn't expect a drastic change.

There also will be adjustments made to accommodate the new rides, Schenck said. Aisles will be made wider, with a standard size of 45 feet wide.

Games, which were split between the midway, will be mixed between the rides, Schenck said.

"The new contract was a function of the calendar and the map," Schenck said. "The business side of things calls for some tough decisions, and this was one we had to make if we hoped to see the fair go on."

http://www.deggeller.com/deggeller/index.asp

This is sad to see Reithoffer go as they've been with the fair ever since I was born. Will be interesting to see how things go this year with the new operator.
    coasteral
    Hydra: The Revenge Level
    Hydra: The Revenge Level

Post  coasteral Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:26 pm

They got a High Roller in the ride listings. They also have a WIPEOUT!!!!!!!!!!! SWEETNESS!!!!1
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:04 pm

coasteral wrote:They got a High Roller in the ride listings. They also have a WIPEOUT!!!!!!!!!!! SWEETNESS!!!!1
    Hi Rollers are terrible from what I've heard, but Wipeout isn't that bad. They have good flat rides on their list, even a Whacky Worm credit.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:01 pm

The Wipeout at Knoebels rocks!!!! I really hope Hershey would get one.
    Fanatic
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:29 am

Wipeouts are cool. Very Happy I have one near me that's one of the better flats around.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:12 pm

Besides the new ride company taking over this year, it also looks like the York Fair is in for some more changes as well:

http://www.wgal.com/video/28621946/detail.html

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site515/2011/0721/20110721_082853_Yorkfairnewmap.pdf
    Jeter1186
    Jeter1186
    Little Phantom Level
    Little Phantom Level

Post  Jeter1186 Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:53 pm

Hopefully the ride operators will be a little more friendly, I was on a ride before i cant remember the name but it spun and you were suspended. While on that the car that i was in a spring to it poped out which was pretty scarry, that is the problems with those rides is that they are put up and taken down dozens of times per year. Hopefully the ferris wheel will have an LED light package like last year.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:04 pm

The 2011 York Fair will be September 9-18.

Changes for this year:

-New fair layout depicting a theme park-like set-up while maintaining a fair-like atmpsphere.
    -New entertainment
    -New ride company (Deggeller Attractions) providing the rides and amusements.

Who all is (or might be planning) going?
    ChiefRedskin89
    ChiefRedskin89

Post  ChiefRedskin89 Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:19 pm

I'll deffenatly be going. My dad gets free parking, food, ect. on Rutters Employee Apreciation Day. I'm also very excited for the change, seems like some great rides. What does it mean about the change in layout though?
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:38 pm

ChiefRedskin89 wrote:I'll deffenatly be going. My dad gets free parking, food, ect. on Rutters Employee Apreciation Day. I'm also very excited for the change, seems like some great rides. What does it mean about the change in layout though?

They want to make the layout of the fair similar to how a theme park would be laid out. They're expanding the midway ride area from the Highland Ave gate the whole way up to behind the middle of the Grandstand which would now emcompass the entire front of the Toyota Arena. The main midway will be renamed "Broadway" and stretch from Highland Ave the whole way across the grounds over to the new Old Main Mall area, which will include nightly laser light shows. Broadway will intersect with another widen throughfare "Central Avenue" at what will be the center hub of the fair named "Tymes Square". The Great Country Radio Stage is also being moved to a better location next to Memorial Hall East.

Here is an image that I saved from the article that appeared in the York Daily Record in July:

The York Fair 20110710

I honestly can't wait for all the changes, looks like it will shape up to be a good year.
    BrandonStrouphauer
    BrandonStrouphauer
    Great Bear Level
    Great Bear Level

Post  BrandonStrouphauer Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:00 pm

Iv'e never been to the york fair. Would like to go once this year. Especially seeing the new layout. I don't ride any fair rides tho. I don't trust em. If I wanna ride rides , i'll go to Hershey. Razz
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:41 pm

I agree with you regarding the rides. I'm not into carnival rides either. The last time I rode any of the rides was when I was younger and I would get on the kiddie rides. I love to take pictures of them though.
    Fanatic
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:54 pm

It looks like it will be great. Too bad they didn't have it a week earlier. I was just in the area a few days ago.

I believe I saw an advertisement or bulletin of some sort about it, and I recognized it because you had mentioned it a while back. Smile
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:26 pm

I was just over at the fairgrounds today and I must say that Deggeller needs to update their official site with what rides they offer. Not only do they have the Whacky Worm (listed on their site) set up but also a Zyklon-style Wild Mouse as well (similar to Cedar Point's Wildcat, but maybe shorter), so the Wild Mouse will not be lost or forgotten. Their scrambler was also set up (pretty cool looking with its colors) as well as their larger carousel (the roof wasn't installed yet). The rides area will be taking up a very nice chunk of the midway (you have to be there to actually see and understand how large of an area it will be). None of the kiddie rides were set up yet, although I did see one which was still packed on its trailer. I'll be taking my artwork in this week so I may do another stroll around to see how things are coming along. I think this year will shape up to be a great year for the fair.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:38 pm

The York Fair just posted a map of this year's event to their Facebook page:

The York Fair 31259810

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:41 pm