Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 146 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:59 pm

2 posters

Trip Report: Splash Lagoon in Erie

Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Trip Report: Splash Lagoon in Erie Empty Trip Report: Splash Lagoon in Erie

Post  Ccron10 Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:58 pm

It looks like I will be hitting the waterparks a little earlier this year. Tomorrow I am leaving to go to Erie for a bowling tournament this weekend. The hotel I will be staying at is conected to a decent-sized indoor waterpark called Splash Lagoon. It has around 7 waterslides, a lazy river, play structure and a few other things.
    I am kind of interested in trying out the toilet bowl slides that they have.

I don't know if I'll have any photos, but I will do a trip report when I return. Wink

Last edited by Ccron10 on Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
    brentott
    brentott
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Trip Report: Splash Lagoon in Erie Empty sounds fun!

Post  brentott Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:23 pm

That sounds like a blast. I willl have to check it out sometime!
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Trip Report: Splash Lagoon in Erie Empty Re: Trip Report: Splash Lagoon in Erie

Post  Ccron10 Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:21 am

I'm up in Erie right now and it took us about 8 or 9 hours. Because we didn't arrive until 8 pm, we might hit the waterpark later today. Or hotel is less than a mile from Waldameer, so I hope I can see the Ravine Flyer II.
    brentott
    brentott
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Trip Report: Splash Lagoon in Erie Empty awesome!

Post  brentott Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:55 pm

I've looked into both places, and hopefully can squeeze in a trip to Erie this Summer... lots on my plate already though. We'll see!
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:59 pm

After leaving the bowling alley up there around 10:15, it only took us 10 minutes to drive to Splash Lagoon. The parking lot looked packed, but actually the crowds didn't seem to be much of a problem.

I have to admit, I have never actually been to an indoor waterpark before, and didn't have high hopes on how good this place would be. But I think this may have turned me into a waterpark enthusiest now. The park has 7 waterslides that actually sometimes weave in and out of the building. 3 are tube slides and 4 are body slides. My girlfriend and I pretty much got ride every slide at least once.

Our first slide was the Cyclone which was a toilet bowl tube slide. After carrying your tube up a slide tower shard by two other slides, you slide down into the bowl and spin several times while getting hit by water from the Tiki Tree House playstructure. This ride will give you a wedgie so make sure sit higher on the tube or your a$$ will be sliding 25 mph like ours did. Overall, a great ride. 9/10.

We next tried out the Hurricane Hole toilet bowl slide. This one didn't require the use of a tube and sent you down into the bowl at 40 mph before falling into the pool below. I think out of all the slides, this one was the worst. The curve of the slide was so tight at the bottom of the drop that it kind of hurt since the force of gravity was forcing you down. After spinning a few times, you either fall head-first or feet-first into the pool. Word of advice.... DON"T GO HEAD-FIRST! My girlfriend hurt her eardrum from it. The exit was also hard to find as well since I wasn't wearing any glasses. 4/10

Splash Lagoon also has a great lazy river too. You do move at a fast pace which was great, but you can also get wet by a waterfall. We were having fun racing each other in this. In my opinion, lazy rivers need to be more like this to be kept interesting. Also, the pool is very shallow (2 1/2 feet) so try not to get your legs scraped along the bottom of the pool like I did. 9/10

The next slide was the Big Kahuna tube slide. It starts with you going under a waterfall, but then has you go down outside, but darkens up once you enter the building again. It has to be the longest slide in the park. 8/10

The Tiki Tree House is kind of your basic water playstructure with two slides, water guns, fountains and giant tipping bucket. The climbing nets do a number on your feet though, but the walkway going over The Cyclone bowl is cool. 8/10

While I wouldn't say Adventure Bay is your typical swimming pool, it does have lilypad crossing where I epically failed at getting to even the first one. The pool also has many basketball hoops and water jets that sometimes shoot water at you from the bottom of the pool. Good luck getting your own hoop though. 6/10

The Shark Attack kind of made me dislike body slides for the way they shove water up your nose at the ending. These are probably the Vekoma rides of the waterpark world I guess. I pretty much got 90 degrees on this slide several times. Being in darkness didn't help either which made my girlfriend decide not to ride anymore covered slides from now on, which I don't blame her. 5/10

We rode the Lazy River again, went over to Adventure Bay to shoot some hoops, then I went to ride the last tube slide of the day which was Python's Plunge. This slide was similar to Shark Attack, but the tube aspect made it better and worse at the same time. There were a lot of 90 degree turns, but you really don't want to take an S-curve on these things. It was kind of like riding the Torpdeo Tubes at Dorney Park before they were removed. 6/10

At this point, we only had 2 slides left to ride so we headed over to the Tiki Tree House to take care of them. The first one, we both rode, was the Maui Wowie which was an open-aired body slide. It's not a big slide, but you do go flying down it. We both took one of the turns so fast that we were within only 3 or 4 inches from actually flying off the edge of the slide (I am not making this up, it scared the sh!t out of me)! Then you get the traditional nose-full-of-water-thing at the end. 5/10

The last body slide called the Black Hole, I did by myself. It was pretty much the same as the Maui Wowie, but covered which made the ride better. 7/10

By this time it was 1:30 and her mom and dad were here to pick us up. It took us around 8 to 9 hours and I didn't get home until 11:30 last night. Overall I say that Splash Lagoon has turned me into a waterpark enthusiest/fan. I underestimated how good the place was even if it was inside. I think it actually gave me the urge to go to Wildwater Kingdom this summer. But despite my girlfriend's sore ear and my scraped knees, we both actually liked the placee and give it a 9/10. It themed really nice and is family friendly. We both paid $34.95 a person, but I think we would've saved more money if we went later in the day. The lines wern't terrible, but they could've had a better system. The stairs were only 5 feet wide and they were for 3 slides. What would usually happen is that the tube slides would get a 10 minute line forming on both sides of the stairs and the body slide would be a walk-on. Plus, adding in the part of carrying the tubes up the stairs and it really got crowded as well as confusing. That is pretty much the only complaint I have about the place overall.

I have a pretty good season lined up. I will be going to Dorney Park for Physics Day on May 7th, I plan on maybe going again once or twice this summer if possible,Six Flags Great Adventure in May, a trip to Knoebels, my summer vacation which is still unknown, Dorney again in September, Hersheypark again in October and in December.

Here's a photo of the park. Sorry for the blurriness.
    Trip Report: Splash Lagoon in Erie Photo0038__800_x_600_

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:55 am