Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is online?

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 146 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:59 pm

5 posters

ZooAmerica: Favorite Exhibit

Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

ZooAmerica: Favorite Exhibit Empty ZooAmerica: Favorite Exhibit

Post  Ccron10 Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:08 pm

http://z8.invisionfree.com/Hersheypark_Crazy/index.php?showtopic=114

Posted by HPCrazy:
    What's your favorite exhibit/section of ZooAmerica? For me, I enjoy walking through the whole zoo. Nice and relaxing. Probably if I had to pick at least one or two exhibits, it would have to be the Bison and Bobcat/Mountain Lions. I enjoy watching them roam whenever I'm at the zoo.
    Fanatic
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

ZooAmerica: Favorite Exhibit Empty Re: ZooAmerica: Favorite Exhibit

Post  Fanatic Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:15 pm

I really love the prairie dogs and bison, as well as the indoor exhibits. The reptiles have to be my favorite, though. I like ZooAmerica since you really don't feel like you're in a one-purpose-settled-area, since it's like a nature walk and the animals are in their natural habitats. Plus, it's so close to HP and there's a lot to do.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:50 am

I also love walking through ZooAmerica myself. Alex and I have developed a habit to take advantege of their free community weekend every year for the past two years. It's a nice change after being in the park when it's open.
    Fanatic
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:15 am

What's the free community weekend? Is it when they let people in from the outside instead of thrugh HP?
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:42 am

Yes, they've been overlapping it with their "Chocolate-Covered February" festivities for the last two years, so we've just been going that weekend so we can add that to our agenda for the day. We usually go in the morning before going over to Chocolate World.
    Fanatic
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:44 am

Ah, that's cool. I'll have to keep it in mind if there's a vacation planned during the winter.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:03 pm

Yeah, it's worth a trip in the winter time. The zoo animals can also be active during that time.
    Fanatic
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:46 am

One thing I never see is the wolves. Maybe once out of every 4 or 5 visits I see all the wolves come out. I guess they like to hide from crowds...
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:01 pm

Now I usually see those. Something I hardly ever see is the Prairie Dogs. They always seem to be hiding in their "homes" whenever I'm there.
    Fanatic
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:01 am

I think they're out on a sunny yet humid day. Plus, that seems to be the time I'm always walking around in the hot sun. Very Happy

Strange how we always see the opposite animals.
    Stormwinder
    Stormwinder
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Stormwinder Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:15 am

REMINDER ZOO AMERICA IS FREE THIS WEEKEND.
    THIS IS THE ONLY TIME IT WILL BE FREE WHEN THE PARK IS NOT OPEN.

Saturday, January 30 and Sunday, January 31.

ZooAmerica North American Wildlife Park will kick off its celebration of 100 years of a community zoo in Hershey by offering its annual free Community Weekend from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on both days. Admission is free to all guests that weekend.

Special highlights of the weekend include "animal encounters" hosted by ZooAmerica naturalists and animal art demonstrations featuring painting by a skunk, snake, lizard or rat at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. each day. Ranger Scratch, the Zoo's mascot, also will make a special appearance both days.
    HPfangirl4life
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  HPfangirl4life Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:05 pm

I love ZooAmerica. Most of the animals are ones other zoos do not have. My favorite encounters are: Bobcats, Mountain Lions, Ocelots, Wolves and especially the Linx.

Best time to go to ZooAmerica is in late fall through early spring. Almost all the animals love the crisp weather. The wolves are usualy out during these seasons. The otters and prairie dogs are the only ones that might not be very active. I forget when the prairie dogs have their pups. I want to say mid June.

If you happen to be by the wolf encounter when the fire siren blows for Derry township you will hear them howl. They believe it is another pack.

Other bits of info:
    Black wolf is the alpha, named Dakota
    Grey wolf is his beta, named Sarah
    The two tawny colored wolves are bothers, but not sons to either Dakota or Sarah
    The male mountain lion is Stanley
    The female mountain lion is Rosa. She is his second mate. They tend to not get along perfectly.
    The female linx is Blondie. She normally sits on the rock ledge in her encounter. She is pretty aloof.
    The male linx is Woody. I believe he is her second mate. He loves to stalk the marteens next door.
    The bobcats left in the encounter are named for Hershey's candy, but I can't remember which ones. The momma bobcat is in with two of her offspring...a male and female. There was another male, but he was donated to another zoo. The daddy bobcat died not long after they mated to produce the three little ones.

I know a bunch of different facts about some of the snakes because they are pretty neat and I used to work in the Park store that had the snake/lizard display.

So I guess this means I'm as much a "zoo rat" as a "park rat" haha.
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:14 pm

HPfangirl4life wrote:
    Other bits of info:
    Black wolf is the alpha, named Dakota
    Grey wolf is his beta, named Sarah
    The two tawny colored wolves are bothers, but not sons to either Dakota or Sarah
    The male mountain lion is Stanley
    The female mountain lion is Rosa. She is his second mate. They tend to not get along perfectly.
    The female linx is Blondie. She normally sits on the rock ledge in her encounter. She is pretty aloof.
    The male linx is Woody. I believe he is her second mate. He loves to stalk the marteens next door.
    The bobcats left in the encounter are named for Hershey's candy, but I can't remember which ones. The momma bobcat is in with two of her offspring...a male and female. There was another male, but he was donated to another zoo. The daddy bobcat died not long after they mated to produce the three little ones.
    When I was there on Monday, I was wondering what were their real names, so thanks.
    Fanatic
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:29 pm

^^ One of my favorite exhibits is the bobcats. Never knew their names, but now I know how cleverly the are named. Thanks Wink

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 5:19 am