Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is online?

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 146 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:59 pm

+4
coasteral
Stormwinder
HPCrazy
Ccron10
8 posters

Hersheypark: The Online Museum

Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Hersheypark: The Online Museum Empty Hersheypark: The Online Museum

Post  Ccron10 Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:31 pm

Got a collection of souvenirs of Hersheypark? Post them here! Any year, and anything.

Last edited by Ccron10 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Hersheypark: The Online Museum Empty Hersheypark 1965 on YouTube

Post  HPCrazy Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:49 pm

Just found this video of some old Hersheypark footage that was recently uploaded to YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FedweDwe9jE&feature=related

Some things I've noticed:

-Comet with it's old (pre-white) paintjob and old red-orangish trains.
    -No Founder's Circle, there still is a baseball field over there.
    -Carrousel was still in its old pavilion along the creek (you can see the pavilion in some of the footage).
    -Miniature Railway is visible going under Comet and along Spring Creek through what is now the Comet Hollow restrooms located next to Tilt-A-Whirl.
    -Twin Ferris Wheel footage including overviews of Comet Hollow

It isn't alot (plus it's also mixed with some Roadside America/Shartlesville footage) but I figured I'd let you all know since we're all into this so much. Let me know what you think.
    Stormwinder
    Stormwinder
    Admin
    Admin

Hersheypark: The Online Museum Empty Re: Hersheypark: The Online Museum

Post  Stormwinder Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:10 am

Its nice to see how good Comet Hollow once looked.
    coasteral
    Hydra: The Revenge Level

Post  coasteral Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:27 am

Its amazing that there was a baseball field where founders circle is. Do you remember when founders circle came to be???? Smile
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:45 am

That area was dedicated in 1972 as Carrousel Circle. The Carrousel was moved from its old location along spring creek to Carrousel Circle during the winter of 1971/72.
    coasteral

Post  coasteral Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:05 pm

Thanks. I thought it was older than that Very Happy
    The Storm Runner
    The Storm Runner
    Contributor
    Contributor

Post  The Storm Runner Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:36 pm

The Bug at 1:52!! Classic.
    Kozmo 1
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  Kozmo 1 Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:39 pm

Thought I'd contribute, not exactly souviners, but neat items....

Giant Wheel door I got off ebay a few years back:

[img]Hersheypark: The Online Museum Pict2418m[/img][img]Hersheypark: The Online Museum Pict2420[/img]

Last edited by Kozmo 1 on Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Kozmo 1
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  Kozmo 1 Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:21 pm

Some hand made models that were made by Warren Renauld of Renauld's Midway Miniatures, Bizzy Bees, Dizzy Drums, Whip, and Ladybugs:

[img]Hersheypark: The Online Museum Pict2422[/img][img]Hersheypark: The Online Museum Pict2428[/img][img]Hersheypark: The Online Museum Pict2431i[/img]

I know the Whip's probably not exactly like Hershey's, but I don't think I've ever seen color photos of the old one. Have a few more models and other items if people are intrested. I think this is a neat idea and would love to see things from others' collections Smile
    Fanatic
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:52 pm

^ Very nice collection!
    Just a question on the door in the first photo...how many of those were they selling? Did they keep a few or just get rid of them all? I'm trying to remember because I do remember seeing a few for sale but I wasn't sure if they were all up..
    Kozmo 1
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  Kozmo 1 Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:00 pm

Fanatic wrote:^ Very nice collection!
    Just a question on the door in the first photo...how many of those were they selling? Did they keep a few or just get rid of them all? I'm trying to remember because I do remember seeing a few for sale but I wasn't sure if they were all up..

I'm not really sure what was saved from the wheel cars/doors...I know there's a guy on the one main road that goes into the park that has 3 full cars (2 blue, 1 white) sitting in his yard. I bought this door from a guy on ebay, private sale, not through the park or anything....I think he said he use to work in operations at the park or something. I would give my right eye for a complete car if anyone has one for sale Smile
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:13 am

Cool! I do know a few years ago the two or three Comet cars were for sale up on eBay for around $500 a piece (give or take). These were black ones similar to the one that used to be in the Hershey Museum.
    Kozmo 1
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  Kozmo 1 Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:21 am

Ccron10 wrote:Cool! I do know a few years ago the two or three Comet cars were for sale up on eBay for around $500 a piece (give or take). These were black ones similar to the one that used to be in the Hershey Museum.

From what I heard from the guy I got the door from, most of the cars were scrapped and only a handful saved by collectors. Hershey should have auctioned them or something, sure they would have got some money for them all. That was a landmark and is surely missed by many Sad

They could have at least saved one or two for their own museum.

On the same topic, Anyone know much about the new museum? Is there more Hersheypark stuff in there than the old one? I remember the old one had basicaly the one Comet car you had mentioned and the old train sign that use to sit by the entry road. Not much else, maybee an old uniform or some other small things. They could do so much more on HP if they have the space for it now...or idealy they could open a museum building just about the park inside the park grounds someplace. Old coaster cars, giant wheel cars, old park photos, maps, postcars, the rendering of the redevelopement plans from the early 70's. And wasn't there an actual physical model built for those plans too?
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:23 am

That Comet car wasn't in the Hershey Story when I visited right after it opened. I'm not sure where they put it. I agree that some kind of park museum should be in the works, similar to CP's Town Hall Museum or the one at Knoebels.
    Fanatic
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:36 pm

They definitely should have kept some for the museum - they would make great pieces. I visited the old museum the last year it was operating. Although there were some excellent items, I did not see much in the form of actual park relics.
    It would be great to see at least a larger portion of the museum focused on the park itself, and as you said, a dedicated museum would do just the job as well. Wink
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:30 pm

Fanatic wrote:They definitely should have kept some for the museum - they would make great pieces. I visited the old museum the last year it was operating. Although there were some excellent items, I did not see much in the form of actual park relics.
    It would be great to see at least a larger portion of the museum focused on the park itself, and as you said, a dedicated museum would do just the job as well. Wink
    The museum is more intended about the history of the town and Hershey and his family, his ideas, the school and so forth. The park is part of that, obviously, but I don't think the Hershey Story is the right place for a museum for the park. I think a separate museum would be better. It could include more information about the park, and what I think would be rather cool is if it weren't just about Hershey Park and Hersheypark, but parks like Paxtang Park, which was a big competitor at the time.
    Fanatic
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:21 pm

^ That is true, and I don't want it to change..
    I notice that in many books and pieces on Hershey (as a whole), around 80% is focused on Mr. Hershey and his life, and the contributions he made to create what we have in Hershey today.

The Hershey Story really should not switch its focus to just the park itself. If we never get to see a separate museum, a decent sized exhibit could be included on the park (maybe some rarer pieces), but not something that will take away from the main concept of the museum.

There is a large amount of information and history, just on the park itself, that having a museum dedicated to this alone is probably the best way to go.
    Kozmo 1
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  Kozmo 1 Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:04 am

Park map from the 1973 brochure:
    [img]Hersheypark: The Online Museum Hersheyparkmap1973001[/img]

Full size: https://2img.net/r/ihimg/photo/my-images/221/hersheyparkmap1973001.jpg/
    Fanatic
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:28 pm

^ That looks great. Smile I have seen maps from the early 80's but I don't believe I ever came across one from the 70's. I happen to like the detail in that one better than the modern designs they use today. Wink
    Kozmo 1
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  Kozmo 1 Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:13 pm

Fanatic wrote:^ That looks great. Smile I have seen maps from the early 80's but I don't believe I ever came across one from the 70's. I happen to like the detail in that one better than the modern designs they use today. Wink

I thought it was really neat too, intresting how the park looks with the DGRR in it's original layout and how there's not much in the now Minetown area. I like the big souviner maps the had around the early 90's, I have one of those of Hershey from 95' and one of Dorney from 90'. Same company's name on both (citigraph inc.). Very detailed and realisitic looking and big! Smile
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:08 pm

I also have the 1995 map although I purchased it in 1996 because it has a "New for 96 - the Wildcat" sticker on the upper left corner where the ride would eventually be built. I don't know who in retail these days thinks that those souvenir maps are unecessary because I think they are a must for any park. I also have a bunch of them from various years from Cedar Point as well as a 1995 version of one from Great Adventure.

Something else that even Dorney carries are the accordian post card folders. I picked one up there on my last visit and I know that Hershey used to carry them. Can you also believe that Fahrenheit has been around for three seasons now and still no new postcard has been issued for it yet. Same with the wave pool and lazy river for three seasons and nothing. So sad.
    Kozmo 1
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  Kozmo 1 Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:48 pm

HPCrazy wrote:I also have the 1995 map although I purchased it in 1996 because it has a "New for 96 - the Wildcat" sticker on the upper left corner where the ride would eventually be built. I don't know who in retail these days thinks that those souvenir maps are unecessary because I think they are a must for any park. I also have a bunch of them from various years from Cedar Point as well as a 1995 version of one from Great Adventure.

Something else that even Dorney carries are the accordian post card folders. I picked one up there on my last visit and I know that Hershey used to carry them. Can you also believe that Fahrenheit has been around for three seasons now and still no new postcard has been issued for it yet. Same with the wave pool and lazy river for three seasons and nothing. So sad.

The lack of quality souviners has always been the one thing I've been unhappy with about Hershey. Seems like they very rarely add anything new, almost everything is Hershey product themed, or the same old cheesey shirts and things.

I guess my understanding of the lack of maps was because after Midway America was added the shape of the park wouldn't have fit in a nice rectangle anymore so they stopped makeing them...but I'm ok with my 95' map since that's how the park looked through most of my child hood and I think it's when the park was it's best.

I'm a big collector of lapel pins, and really liked the Wildcat and Great Bear pins they had out several years ago...why only 2 coasters? Who knows...and now they have this big pin trading thing, but most of them are too big and cheesey and alot of the major rides are missing anyway.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:20 pm

I don't see anything wrong with the Hershey-branded souvenirs, but they should kick it up a notch as far as what they already have. They need to expand with additional park postcards, souvenir booklets and maps, accordian folders, more ride-related merchandise (the clothing they have is pretty good) and well as other things. When I went to both Cedar Point and Kings Island, I was able to bring home a new CP souvenir map, as well as a postcard of their "then" new roller coaster Diamondback. When did I see Fahrenheit labeled on a postcard? I know that one of our members Leah (HPfangirl4life) has worked in retail and she has told me some things about the current status of the way things are currently being run.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:45 pm

I'm starting up a little project to do some additional history on the park, which involves any park maps (as well as guides). I'm starting with the 70s. Anything from the 60s is appreciated, too. What I have is the map from 73, 75 and 77. I don't need a physical copy, just a decent quality photo or scan (if anyone has the ability to do that).

And actually, anything from the 60s would be cool. The decline of the park in that decade caused the modern era of the park as much as Disneyland did and that should be better documented, too.
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:00 am

As I merge topics together, more will be added to this section. I have also recieved some historical pieces over the past year that I will post. Smile

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:04 pm