Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is online?

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 146 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:59 pm

+7
XtreamThrill
CoasterBGW
gb980109
Fanatic
Magnum PA
HPCrazy
Ccron10
11 posters

Dorney Park: New for 2012: Stinger & Dinosaurs Alive

Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Dorney Park: New for 2012: Stinger & Dinosaurs Alive Empty Dorney Park: New for 2012: Stinger & Dinosaurs Alive

Post  Ccron10 Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:20 am

Screamscape:
    2012 - Invertigo - Rumor - (1/29/11) In case you missed the rumor from California’s Great America, it has been confirmed that their Invertigo coaster will be removed in the next few weeks to be sent to another Cedar Fair park. The early rumor, even before the removal was confirmed, was that it was going to Dorney Park for the 2012 season. This would make Dorney Park the only park in the country (world maybe too) to have 3 true Inverted coasters. (No, I’m not counting Suspended or Flying coasters) Stay tuned!
    I presonally hope that this is false because the last few major attractions either should've been destined for the junkyard or could've had good use at another park/ or both. With whatever Hershey is adding, I'm sure that Dorney would want to try compete with them and I don't think a Vekoma inverted boomerang that isn't very reliable and hurts as much as a sit-down boomerang would be the solution (they could probably be better off competing for ridership for Sidewinder. lol).

If they do add it, I would feel better about the decision if they invest in new trains with the newer restraints, but even so, I would still think this is a bad idea.

Last edited by Ccron10 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:39 am; edited 3 times in total
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Dorney Park: New for 2012: Stinger & Dinosaurs Alive Empty Re: Dorney Park: New for 2012: Stinger & Dinosaurs Alive

Post  HPCrazy Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:24 am

Sounds like if this is true, this would be the third used ride in a row that would be considered "new" added to the park. Steel Venom (Geauga Lake), Demon Drop (Cedar Point) and now this? I guess it's still better than having that older lower area sitting empty in the next few years and not receiving anything.
    Magnum PA
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Dorney Park: New for 2012: Stinger & Dinosaurs Alive Empty Re: Dorney Park: New for 2012: Stinger & Dinosaurs Alive

Post  Magnum PA Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:51 pm

Some interesting thoughts on the subject from another site.

http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/forums/cgi/forum1.cgi?read=213899

Last edited by Magnum PA on Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:56 am

Screamscape:
    (2/3/11) Dorney Park has now submitted plans to the local township for a 138 foot tall ride for the 2012 season. Funny how that proposed attraction height matches up almost perfectly with the Invertigo coaster being removed from California’s Great America. The proposed site will take up the former site of the removed Laser coaster, as well as some surrounding area, removing a few kiddie rides in the process.
    There goes that brand new GCI..... Neutral
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:06 am

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/parkland/mc-dorney-park-planning-oks-20110218,0,2411061.story

Planners OK new Dorney coaster
    Amusement park says it's a 'similar' ride to the Invertigo being moved from California.

South Whitehall planners are recommending township approval of Dorney Park's plans for a new roller coaster in 2012.

There's still no name on the books for this mystery ride, which park representatives described as an "inverted boomerang" roller coaster Thursday at a Planning Commission meeting.

But park spokesman Chuck Hutchison said the ride is similar to Invertigo, a roller coaster that's being removed this year from a California park owned by Dorney parent Cedar Fair LP. There's also an Invertigo coaster at King's Island in Ohio, he said.

Hutchison wouldn't confirm the 138-foot ride is coming from the California park, but said the ride is coming out of Cedar Fair's inventory.

On the ride, seven attached cars seat riders face to face, climb a 138-foot hill and are released to go through three inversions forward and then backward, said Brad Nesland, Dorney's vice president of maintenance and construction.

It's a "modest coaster," Hutchison said. Riders have experienced it in other locations and it's no 300-foot-tall Steel Force, he said.

"This is not getting 8,000 more people in our park on the weekends," Nesland said.

Invertigo reopened in Great America in California last July, almost a year after a mechanical failure left two dozen people trapped 80 feet in the air for at least three hours. All of the trapped riders were rescued and no one was injured.

The ride coming to Dorney Park next year will be reconditioned, Nesland said. It will be rebuilt completely and repainted, it will have a new control system and the track will have gone through inspection.

The ride is slated for the western portion of the park, just north of Lincoln Avenue and Dorney Park Road and south of Steel Force, where the old Laser coaster used to be.

The Laser was removed in 2008 after 22 years of double-loop thrills. The portable coaster, anchored by tanks of water, was originally named Colossus. It sat on a 100-year-old flood plain, an issue that prompted township engineer Pidcock Co. to ask Dorney representatives to provide more information before the new coaster goes before the Board of Commissioners for final approval.
    Continued:
    The ride will be on stilts and won't affect the flood plain, Nesland said.

Under Dorney's proposal for a new ride, several kiddie rides have been removed, as well as a basketball game, concrete midways and a portion of a paved service drive, affecting about 1.7 acres of the 187-acre property zoned as commercial recreation. The area will be roped off this summer, Hutchison said.

Commissioners asked about the noise and the lighting of the ride, and park representatives said noise will be nothing in comparison to the nearby Steel Force. The ride will be lit from the ground, except for emergency lights on the lift, Nesland said.

Joseph Bubba, an attorney for Dorney Park, said the park will ask the township to waive the customary traffic study. He said the park spent $30,000 on a study 18 months ago, and since then attendance has been flat. The ride won't cause the numbers to spike, he repeated.

Hutchison said the park will release more information on the ride sometime this summer.
    Looks like Invertigo is coming to Dorney for 2012 I guess.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:55 am

I agree. They won't confirm that it's from CGA but what else is similar that is in Cedar Fair's Inventory other than Invertigo at Kings Island. They might as well just come out and say it.
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:46 am

It's a "modest coaster," Hutchison said. Riders have experienced it in other locations and it's no 300-foot-tall Steel Force, he said.
    lol. If only this was true...
    Fanatic
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:46 pm

^ If only. Smile Since it is pretty much the same as Sidewinder, I wonder if it will be at least a little more comfortable!
    Seems like they were making something big out of this coaster, but not in a bad way. It would make a nice addition to the park.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:03 pm

They really need to focus on getting another wooden coaster into the park, not another steel one...especially a "used" one. They could really use a GCI. I'd definitely check that out.
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:44 am

From News Plus Notes:
    Dorney Park: New for 2012: Stinger & Dinosaurs Alive DPInvertigoArrival
    Invertigo's Train has arrived.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:47 am

Yep, now they can just say that it's coming from CGA now. That pic gives it away. Wink Screamscape also confirmed about Dragon Coaster being removed and sent to Valleyfair. Why they would send this coaster to another park in the chain is beyond me.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:50 am

More evidence that CGA's old Invertigo is on its way to Dorney:

http://www.screamscape.com/html/dorney_park.htm

http://www.screamscape.com/html/dp_-_invertigo_2.htm

http://www.screamscape.com/html/dp_-_invertigo_1.htm

http://www.screamscape.com/html/dp_-_invertigo_0.htm
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:41 pm

Some of the lift and station track has arrived at Dorney for Invertigo according to NewsPlus Notes:
    http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/2011/03/dorney-park-track-photos.html
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:27 am

If this isn't debuting until 2012, then they surely need to move those track pieces to another area. I highly doubt they would let them lay out there through the 2011 season. This thing probably won't even take that long to put up.

I just wish Dorney would seriously get their own new coaster/ride. It seems like the last several installments were from other properties (Demon Drop, Possessed and now this). They really didn't need to fix up Camp Snoopy just yet. That area was fine the way it was.
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:46 am

HPCrazy wrote:If this isn't debuting until 2012, then they surely need to move those track pieces to another area. I highly doubt they would let them lay out there through the 2011 season. This thing probably won't even take that long to put up.

I just wish Dorney would seriously get their own new coaster/ride. It seems like the last several installments were from other properties (Demon Drop, Possessed and now this). They really didn't need to fix up Camp Snoopy just yet. That area was fine the way it was.
    I don't know if they would need to move anything because Demon Drop was stored there and pieces were taken over from there to the build site until the middle of the season last year. Chances are that they are going to gradually take each piece into their maintenance bilding behind the park, do rehab on the pieces, then bring them back to the parking lot. I think they might be fine where they are even when the park opens.
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Tue May 10, 2011 11:25 am

http://screamscape.com/html/dorney_park.htm
    Screamscape has posted a couple of photos that show the area where Invertigo is going to be constructed as well as the ride sitting in the parking lot.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Tue May 10, 2011 12:23 pm

http://www.dorneypark.com/public/inside_park/park_map.cfm

If you look at their park map on their website, they have the area shown as a construction site with the slogan "Building New Thrills for 2012" so I'm guessing that probably answers a lot of questions regarding the opening and location. Maybe it's showing up this early so they can do a complete refurbishment to the ride so it can be constructed over the off-season.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Tue May 10, 2011 5:28 pm

Isn't that where Laser was?
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Fri May 13, 2011 10:22 pm

Yep.

It looks like a lot of the Invertigo track is floating around Allentown according to this NewsPlusNotes update:
    http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/2011/05/allentowns-just-brimming-with-coaster.html

Dorney Park: New for 2012: Stinger & Dinosaurs Alive InvertigoPaint5

Looks like the coaster will be featuring a new paintjob as well.
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:30 am

Screamscape:
    (6/14/11) I’ve been told that Dorney has begin work on their 2012 coaster project, the relocated Invertigo coaster from California. It seems that they are hoping to get most, if not all of the ride up and ready to go by this fall. This doesn’t mean they will open it by this fall of course… only that they’re hoping to get the construction work out of the way before the cold winter. As for the coaster itself, I’m told they are leaning towards some kind of animal themed name.
    Animal themed? I think that with the color they made it that it would be hard to do.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:44 am

Remember, this is Cedar Fair that we're talking about. Wink
    CoasterBGW
    CoasterBGW
    Sky Rocket Level
    Sky Rocket Level

Post  CoasterBGW Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:43 am

Possible name? Cedar Fair filed for a trademark on the name of "Stinger" on June 6th. http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=85338766
    XtreamThrill
    Trailblazer Level
    Trailblazer Level

Post  XtreamThrill Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:00 pm

i think Dorney should build a new wooden roller coaster. Thunderhawk just doesn't cut it anymore. im not saying tear down Thunderhawk but build something like another Hercules. that was an amazing ride despite wacking your knees off the cars.
    JunkiesForFame
    Trailblazer Level
    Trailblazer Level

Post  JunkiesForFame Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:17 pm

In regards to the smoothness of the ride, i though that Invertigo at Kings Island was so much better than the regular boomerangs. It was surprisingly smooth to my brother and I. It was somewhat intense but i found it to be an enjoyable ride. It may not be as big as Hershey's 2012 project but at least it is something.
    BrandonStrouphauer
    BrandonStrouphauer
    Great Bear Level
    Great Bear Level

Post  BrandonStrouphauer Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:55 pm

Dorney Parks New coaster for 2012 name is likely going to be. "STINGER?". PERFECT name for an inverted Vekoma Boomerang coaster! -__-
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:40 pm

Belo777 wrote:Dorney Parks New coaster for 2012 name is likely going to be. "STINGER?". PERFECT name for an inverted Vekoma Boomerang coaster! -__-

This has been mentioned already... Neutral
    BrandonStrouphauer
    BrandonStrouphauer
    Great Bear Level
    Great Bear Level

Post  BrandonStrouphauer Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:45 pm

Ccron10 wrote:
    Belo777 wrote:Dorney Parks New coaster for 2012 name is likely going to be. "STINGER?". PERFECT name for an inverted Vekoma Boomerang coaster! -__-

Lol, IK, I was pointing out that the name describes the ride VERY well. Stinger, stinging your head. -_-
    Park Connoisseur
    Park Connoisseur
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  Park Connoisseur Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:30 am

Belo777 wrote:
    Ccron10 wrote:

Lol, IK, I was pointing out that the name describes the ride VERY well. Stinger, stinging your head. -_-

Actually, the Vekoma inverted boomerangs and their giant inverted boomerangs are very well-engineered. They are very smooth. I think you guys will be surprised by how fun it is when you ride it.
    CoasterBGW
    CoasterBGW
    Sky Rocket Level
    Sky Rocket Level

Post  CoasterBGW Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:08 am

New attraction announcement, 10:30am, tomorrow morning just beyond Possessed at the construction site. Park guests are invited to join us.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:37 pm

"We're proud to announce another 'hand-me-down' attraction that was no longer needed at another Cedar Fair park..."

Come on Cedar Fair, when's that rumored GCI supposed to come to the park?
    BrandonStrouphauer
    BrandonStrouphauer
    Great Bear Level
    Great Bear Level

Post  BrandonStrouphauer Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:48 pm

HPCrazy wrote:"We're proud to announce another 'hand-me-down' attraction that was no longer needed at another Cedar Fair park..."

Come on Cedar Fair, when's that rumored GCI supposed to come to the park?

GCI at Dorney? Yea, I agree. not really a "new" ride, just a new park it's at and maybe fresh paint. The hand-me-downs are getting annoying(just like all the Six Flags parks, but, their situation was a tad different from CFs)
    CoasterBGW
    CoasterBGW
    Sky Rocket Level
    Sky Rocket Level

Post  CoasterBGW Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:41 am

It's officially Stinger

Dorney Park: New for 2012: Stinger & Dinosaurs Alive X2_805161b

Credit to NewsPlusNotes: http://twitter.com/#!/NewsPlusNotes/status/108911860266450944
    CoasterBGW
    CoasterBGW
    Sky Rocket Level
    Sky Rocket Level

Post  CoasterBGW Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:38 pm

Official Information:

Dorney Park: New for 2012: Stinger & Dinosaurs Alive Stinger

Feel your heart pump with adrenaline after experiencing this scorpion's sting! Sit back and find yourself dangling from the scorpion tail seated face-to-face with your friends as you each sit witness to the others terror. You'll scream your face off as you are lifted up a 138-foot lift hill and then released to soar at speeds reaching 55 miles per hour through three inversions both forward and then backward.

Year Opened: 2012
    Height: 132'
    Length: 1,014'
    Speed: 55 mph
    Manufacturer: Vekoma Rides Manufacturing B.V. - Netherlands
    Material: Steel
    Capacity: 840 per hour

Webcam:
    Dorney Park: New for 2012: Stinger & Dinosaurs Alive Stinger
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:41 pm

Oh no.... Sad
    http://southwhitehall.patch.com/articles/dorney-park-discloses-plan-for-dinosaur-park#c
    Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom is planning to step back into the Jurassic Age, literally, with the addition of a different type of attraction for the 2012 season: Dinosaurs Alive!

The attraction will include a series of stationary and automated dinosaur figures -- some 37 in all.

Most of the prehistoric figures will be less than 16 feet in height, but the plan also includes two 35- to 40-foot dinosaurs. They will be viewed by patrons traveling through a themed walking path approximately 2,100 feet long in a 3.3-acre wooded area behind and to the west of Steel Force.

The plan was disclosed Wednesday at a meeting of the South Whitehall commissioners, who earlier in the evening approved amendments to the township’s zoning ordinance that standardized zoning throughout the park. The amendment allows parent company Cedar Fair to replace amusements and add additional rides in excess of 85 feet in height without having to get approval from the township.

The commissioners also approved an amendment giving the park a go-ahead to expand its current parking area into a 6.75-acre parcel of land west of Lincoln Avenue. The plot was purchased from Lehigh County earlier this year for $2.75 million.

“The area where Dinosaurs Alive! is planned lends itself very well to this type of attraction,” said Jason McClure, vice president and general manager of Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom.

“It’s a different kind of attraction for us,” he said. “Currently, schools don’t allow students to attend an amusement park on a school day unless there’s some educational value to the trip. With its educational component, Dinosaurs Alive! will give us a whole new dimension. It will give us another little niche as an attraction to schools and camps.”

Plans are to begin construction on the walkway this fall, with completion of the attraction before the park's re-opening next spring.

Kings Island in Ohio, which is also owned by Dorney's parent company Cedar Fair, is home to a Dinosaurs Alive! park. It features 60 life-sized dinosaurs in a 12.5-acre forest setting, according to its website.
    *facepalm* Looks like the location in which they planning on building this is between Revolution and Steel Force (the area where we keep dreaming of a GCI to be built).
    Park Connoisseur
    Park Connoisseur
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  Park Connoisseur Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:58 pm

Ccron10 wrote:Oh no.... Sad

*facepalm* Looks like the location in which they planning on building this is between Revolution and Steel Force (the area where we keep dreaming of a GCI to be built).

I don't understand your concern.

This attraction is going in a small portion of the wooded area "behind and to the west" of Steel Force. Look at the area on Google Maps. There is a ton of room back there.

If anything, a simple park expansion like this bodes well for continued park expansion in that area, which I'm sure will include a new wooden coaster at some point soon, maybe even as soon as 2013. Keep in mind that Stinger didn't really cost them much for 2012.
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:35 pm

Dorney Park has posted a couple of new photos on their Facebook page today showing off some of the ride area for Stinger:
    https://www.facebook.com/dorneypark?ref=ts#!/media/set/?set=a.10150456406001788.427052.107234641787&type=3

Dorney Park: New for 2012: Stinger & Dinosaurs Alive 418591_10150630940511788_107234641787_11879391_800586070_n

Dorney Park: New for 2012: Stinger & Dinosaurs Alive 401328_10150630940966788_107234641787_11879392_2084989297_n

Dorney Park: New for 2012: Stinger & Dinosaurs Alive 405515_10150630941361788_107234641787_11879393_1283950283_n

Dorney Park: New for 2012: Stinger & Dinosaurs Alive 422332_10150630942291788_107234641787_11879396_2041989676_n

Dorney Park: New for 2012: Stinger & Dinosaurs Alive 429406_10150630945406788_107234641787_11879403_612833274_n

Looks like all they need to do now is pop on the trains and start the test-runs.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:57 pm

It looks painful. Yay Vekoma.
    andyroo1998
    andyroo1998
    Kozmo's Kurves level
    Kozmo's Kurves level

Post  andyroo1998 Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:28 am

Can't wait to ride it. Not to be a bummer but I realy wish they would build a bigger coaster because the last two coasters haven't been that big(stinger Possesed). But still can't wait to ride it Very Happy
    Park Connoisseur
    Park Connoisseur
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  Park Connoisseur Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:01 pm

gb980109 wrote:It looks painful. Yay Vekoma.

I've said this before, but just wait until you ride this ride. If it rides anything like it's duplicates, I think everyone will enjoy it.

These rides (as well as the Giant Inverted Boomerangs) are very well-engineered. They are very smooth, and very fun. One of the neat parts about this ride is the reverse seating that allows you to watch others in your group ride it. Plus, if you are sitting "backwards" it's neat to ride a boomerang in reverse order. This is especially the case in the back seat - it becomes a front seat on the other side.

As much as I want to see Dorney Park add something custom (and wooden), I like this addition to the park's line-up. It's a fun ride, and it will further disperse the coaster-riding crowd.
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:01 pm

Park Connoisseur wrote:
    gb980109 wrote:It looks painful. Yay Vekoma.

I've said this before, but just wait until you ride this ride. If it rides anything like it's duplicates, I think everyone will enjoy it.

These rides (as well as the Giant Inverted Boomerangs) are very well-engineered. They are very smooth, and very fun. One of the neat parts about this ride is the reverse seating that allows you to watch others in your group ride it. Plus, if you are sitting "backwards" it's neat to ride a boomerang in reverse order. This is especially the case in the back seat - it becomes a front seat on the other side.

As much as I want to see Dorney Park add something custom (and wooden), I like this addition to the park's line-up. It's a fun ride, and it will further disperse the coaster-riding crowd.
    I guess so, but after hearing about the Deja'Vu's at the numerous Six Flags parks and the instances on the other suspended boomerangs, it does make me question the reliabliity. While I'm sure it will give a unique ride, there has to be a reason why only several models were built and as of 2012, only two others will exist (KI's, which is still in it's original location and Triops, which was moved from Sommerland Syd and is being built at a park in France.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:46 am