Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is online?

In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 146 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:59 pm

+9
Fanatic
CoasterEricHP
JunkiesForFame
pushingbuttons
FlyersFan
ChiefRedskin89
HPCrazy
HPfangirl4life
gardener14
13 posters

Rita's stand within Hersheypark

gardener14
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Rita's stand within Hersheypark Empty Rita's stand within Hersheypark

Post  gardener14 Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:07 am

I've seen it mentioned a few times that there is a new Rita's stand within Hersheypark. It's often mentioned with a tone of enthusiasm, but I have no idea what Rita's is all about. We don't have them where I live. Is it ice cream or slush of sorts? Could someone please explain what they sell at the stand and where it is located. I looked at their website, but is the one in HP just like a real Rita's store outside of the park with the same selection? I have no idea what frozen custard is.
    HPfangirl4life
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Rita's stand within Hersheypark Empty Re: Rita's stand within Hersheypark

Post  HPfangirl4life Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:57 am

Rita's is a (mostly) very finely crushed flavored ice. It clumps or is thicker than a typical slushy. The flavor also doesn't thin out or get watery when it melts. Custard is like a mix of ice cream and whipped cream. Easily compared to frozen yogurt - don't know if you remember TCBY from the 90s.

As for how the stand compares to those outside of HP: prices are pretty good. They aren't nearly as expensive as other things in the park. The selection is ok...their most popular flavors are included. But that list doesn't seem to change like the chain stores do everyday. Did anyone else notice if they do?

Hope this answers your questions Smile

EDIT: Forgot to tell you where it is. The stand is right at the Boardwalk banner entrance on the left side. If you head back there or to Midway, look where you enter for the lazy river and you will see it. Rita's is a bright red big stand.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:32 am

Here's a pic I took on opening day:

Rita's stand within Hersheypark Ritas
    ChiefRedskin89
    ChiefRedskin89
    Talon: Grip of Fear Level

Post  ChiefRedskin89 Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:04 am

I'm sure if you try it out you will like it, the chain is rediculously sucsessful because everyone can find something they like. I would sugest the Swedish Fish Gelati(mix of ice and custard) everyone I talk to thinks it is amazing.
    HPfangirl4life
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  HPfangirl4life Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:31 am

ChiefRedskin89 wrote:I'm sure if you try it out you will like it, the chain is rediculously sucsessful because everyone can find something they like. I would sugest the Swedish Fish Gelati(mix of ice and custard) everyone I talk to thinks it is amazing.

He is right. I had that this past weekend. However, do not expect this flavor at Hershey. They have the more traditional flavors...Cherry, Rootbeer, Lemonade and Mint Chocolate Chip (I think that one is a flavor, but can't remember). They don't have this year's flavors...Swedish Fish and Pear. At least not that I've seen.

Hard to believe that there is not a Rita's stand located near you. They are popping up everywhere. There is one near where I work (which is only 30 minutes east of Hershey). And they have one in Palmyra, about 15 minutes from the Park.
    FlyersFan
    FlyersFan
    Hydra: The Revenge Level
    Hydra: The Revenge Level

Post  FlyersFan Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:35 am

A gelati is the way to go for sure. I always like the rootbeer one. The prices aren't bad either. They are rather close to the prices of rita's outside of the park which is nice.
    ChiefRedskin89
    ChiefRedskin89

Post  ChiefRedskin89 Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:58 am

Thats amazing that it's near the prices outside the park! I really thought it would be through the roof like dippin' dots. Also are you sure they won't have Swedish Fish? This is the second summer they've had that flavor and its pretty popular, anyway I'll go to choice B;lemonade.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:16 pm

There are at least two Rita's here in York. It's been awhile since I've been to either of them.
    pushingbuttons
    pushingbuttons
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  pushingbuttons Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:24 pm

They are correct. They do not have Swedish Fish. I was very disappointed as well Crying or Very sad
    On the bright side I was talking to my one friend who works at a Rita's outside the park and they are raising their prices so the prices inside the park are only like 25 cents more than normal! Very Happy
    JunkiesForFame
    Trailblazer Level
    Trailblazer Level

Post  JunkiesForFame Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:53 pm

HPfangirl4life wrote:Rita's is a (mostly) very finely crushed flavored ice. It clumps or is thicker than a typical slushy. The flavor also doesn't thin out or get watery when it melts. Custard is like a mix of ice cream and whipped cream. Easily compared to frozen yogurt - don't know if you remember TCBY from the 90s.

My parents actually own a rita's and i work there. Custard has nothing to do with whipped cream or frozen yogurt. Custard is just like soft serve but it is much richer and creamier than regular ice cream because it has a much higher butterfat content. The ice isn't even crushed. It's actually just the flavor, frozen together with sugar and water.

But i live down in Maryland so i don't know anything about the one in Hershey. I always thought they should put one in though.
    CoasterEricHP
    CoasterEricHP
    Black Diamond Level
    Black Diamond Level

Post  CoasterEricHP Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:11 pm

^What Rita's do you work at? I'm actually a manager at the one that just opened in Lakeland, FL. At least until I get a decent job in a theme park.. I'm sure the Rita's in Hersheypark is a huge hit!
    JunkiesForFame
    Trailblazer Level
    Trailblazer Level

Post  JunkiesForFame Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:13 pm

It's in Laurel, Maryland. I'll probably manage there too by next year.

Last edited by JunkiesForFame on Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)
    gardener14
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  gardener14 Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:16 pm

Thanks everyone for the responses, but I noticed the sign in the photo says "ice custard happiness." Does the Rita's stand in HP sell different products like their website describes...cream ice, gelati, frozen custard, Italian Ice, etc.?

I looked up Rita's website, and they have only one location here in Massachusetts. That's why I've never heard of it. Chains like TCBY, Carvel, Cold Stone Creamery, and Baskin Robbins come and go, but they don't last long around here. Here in central New England we have lots of old fashioned, family owned, independent ice cream stands that have mostly been around for decades. They generally make their own product. New Englanders eat more ice cream than any other part of the country, and we like the old fashioned home made stuff.

I'm looking forward to checking out the Rita's at HP, but I really lolve the Turkey Hill soft serve. I hope they still have that in the park.
    Fanatic
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:31 pm

That stand in the park is definitely more attractive to the eye than any that I have been to. It fits pretty well with the scenery there, too. I haven't been to a Rita's in about 2 years, but I come across one every so often when I travel out.
    I would believe they sell as much as they can of what the website advertises. I'm not 100% sure, but someone else who has been to the stand can probably answer your question better.
    Now if only there was a Dairy Queen that isn't troublesome to get to. Wink
    CoasterEricHP
    CoasterEricHP
    Black Diamond Level
    Black Diamond Level

Post  CoasterEricHP Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:53 pm

I had a friend take a picture of the prices (since the owner at my Rita's has the territory for Legoland) and it looks like the stand at Hershey offers the Italian Ice and Custard. So you can get ice, custard, or Gelati (Ice and Custard layered). I don't think they offer Misto's or Blendini's because they require more time to make.

woozybear
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  woozybear Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:53 am

My kids convinced me to try the stand at HP a couple weeks ago. They offer ice, custard and gelati. As stated before, the prices are very reasonable. I was thinking they would be outrageous like everything else, and was plesantly surprised when they were not.
    technocolor
    technocolor
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  technocolor Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:22 am

i have a TCBY and a Rita's really close to my house and they both taste delicious! I cant wait to try them at HP
    The Storm Runner
    The Storm Runner
    Contributor
    Contributor

Post  The Storm Runner Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:29 pm

Mango all the way!!! Best flavor there is, in my opinion. Every single person I know (with the exception of a couple of you) agrees.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:58 pm

The Storm Runner wrote:Mango all the way!!! Best flavor there is, in my opinion. Every single person I know (with the exception of a couple of you) agrees.
    Swedish Fish is pretty tasty! But Mango is the winner.

Swedish Fish:Bizarro :: Mango:Nitro.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:02 pm

Is Mango one of the flavors in the HP Rita's stand? I never bothered stopping to see what they had there.
    The Storm Runner
    The Storm Runner
    Contributor
    Contributor

Post  The Storm Runner Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:16 am

Mango is pretty much sold at every Rita's everywhere on every day of operation, including Hersheypark's.
    Fanatic
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:02 pm

I go for the classic Raspberry or Cherry sometimes. When I feel a little daring, I get the Pineapple or Pina Colada. I don't know if the one at HP has the latter, but I'm always willing to try whatever different flavors they might have.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:06 am