Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 146 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:59 pm

+4
technocolor
Ccron10
HPCrazy
vw87tech
8 posters

old Hershey Park photos

vw87tech
    vw87tech
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

old Hershey Park photos Empty old Hershey Park photos

Post  vw87tech Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:57 pm

alright guys i cant figure how to post them up on here so I put them on my facebook page.
    this link will bring you right to it and you dont need a facebook account. Each photo is captioned, some have questions about different things. If you have any comments or can help me in finding out any info on them, that would be great. feel free to use the photos for whatever you want as well.
    thanks,
    Patrick

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150203452587504.295878.521082503&l=4c02e64c48
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

old Hershey Park photos Empty Re: old Hershey Park photos

Post  HPCrazy Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:17 pm

I just love those photos! Anything that is vintage Hersheypark is awesome! Thanks for sharing!
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:11 am

There's my answer on how Comet's queue used to look like before the games building was added. Looks like it would hold the same amount of people as today since it looks longer than it is now wide.

Also looks like the old Mini Golf course used to be a food stand at one point.

Like the house on where Sidewinder is now. Smile
    technocolor
    technocolor
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  technocolor Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:41 am

I've found some pictures from hershey in the 80's too: http://matt.meckley.tripod.com/hersheypark_in_the_1980%27s.htm
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:59 am

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6884046&id=521082503

This one is the Hershey Press Building. Looks like the picture is taken either from the chocolate factory parking lot or the Monorail.
    CoasterBGW
    CoasterBGW
    Sky Rocket Level
    Sky Rocket Level

Post  CoasterBGW Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:17 pm

I have been meaning to go through my grandpa's old slides... maybe a rainy day project.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:01 pm

CoasterBGW wrote:I have been meaning to go through my grandpa's old slides... maybe a rainy day project.
    That would be cool. I believe the rarest pictures of the park are of the Minetown area. I once tried looking for better pictures of the area where Flying Falcon and the kiddie rides are, pictures of the old penny arcade, and pictures of Coal Cracker that's more than just the drop, and searches online yield only one or two pictures of the old Himalaya and Coal Shaker. Nothing that gives a good perspective on what the surrounding area looks like.

My favorite picture of the set is the one of Coal Cracker and Turnpike from Kissing Tower in the late 70s. I would love more pictures like that of the surrounding Minetown (though it wasn't Minetown until 1990) area from the 60s, 70s and 80s. And, for that matter, pictures of the old entrance of the park. There aren't many of those either.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:29 pm

I also agree with you. Until I really started becoming fascinated with the history of the park, I used to think that Minetown was "Minetown" when the park was redeveloped in the early 1970's. I also originally thought that Flying Falcon was around since that time. My first trip there was around 1986, but I wouldn't remember that area back there too well. For some reason, I do remember the Sky Ride though.
    coasteral
    Hydra: The Revenge Level

Post  coasteral Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:27 pm

Its weird to think that Midway America was just a field at one point. Just absoulutly amazing!!!!! Very Happy
    vw87tech
    vw87tech
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  vw87tech Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:23 pm

Thanks for all the info guys. those are my oldest pictures. still have some newer stuff to put up some day.
    I agree that house where sidewinder is strange. I never noticed it before.

i agree minetown pictures are rare but I think early christmas in hershey are even rarer.
    i ll keep looking and scanning
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:27 pm

What do you consider the "newer" pics? Are they in the 80's or early to mid 90's? I can't wait to see them!
    HPfangirl4life
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  HPfangirl4life Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:36 pm

I don't think I have any pictures of the area, but the Himalaya and Coal Shaker were two of my favorite adult rides as a kid. I was very upset the year I went there after the Shaker was removed.

I'm wondering if I might have Candylane pictures from when I was really young...Candylane and I are the same age Smile
    vw87tech
    vw87tech
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  vw87tech Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:41 pm

exactly late 80s to mid 90s.
    might be awhile thou
    going on vacation in about a week.
    5 nights in Lancaster. and of course july 11 will be spent in the park.

I must have some more candylane pictures..right now all I have is the mini train. I ll always remember it under the giant wheel at christmas time
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:44 am

HPfangirl4life wrote:I don't think I have any pictures of the area, but the Himalaya and Coal Shaker were two of my favorite adult rides as a kid. I was very upset the year I went there after the Shaker was removed.

I'm wondering if I might have Candylane pictures from when I was really young...Candylane and I are the same age Smile

I thought Candylane started in 1983, the year I was born. I thought you were a year older than I am. Wink
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:53 am

HPCrazy wrote:
    HPfangirl4life wrote:I don't think I have any pictures of the area, but the Himalaya and Coal Shaker were two of my favorite adult rides as a kid. I was very upset the year I went there after the Shaker was removed.

I thought Candylane started in 1983, the year I was born. I thought you were a year older than I am. Wink
    I thought it was 83 too. I never got the chance to ride Shaker or Himalaya. I only visited the park for the first time in 1995 which was the year after my family moved into the area.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:22 am

I was just thinking on Leah's post about Candylane as well as vw87tech's pic of the miniature train set up under the GW and it just reminded me of my very first visit to Candylane in 1989. Me and two of my cousins rode that thing twice. I have some pics somewhere (including a group pic of all of us in Chocolate World in front of one of those huge elf displays they used to set up), just will have to find and scan them.

The only time I was ever there pre-Minetown was around 1986, like I mentioned before. I do remember the Sky Ride but not the Coal Shaker and Himalaya. Like I also said, I originally thought Flying Falcon was around since the early 70's until I began researching and studying the history of the park. According to the Sweetness of Success, I think Music Box Way was officially named in the early 90's even though the Music Box Theatre was always there. Prior to that, I don't think there ever was an official name to that area. I have an old 93 map (the oldest one that I have) that has Music Box on it.
    vw87tech
    vw87tech
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  vw87tech Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:30 pm

ive got a map, i believe from 1990 with just music box theater. it does have minetown. some notes: it has flying falcon, very large i guess since it was the new ride for 90 very , cyclops,skyride, rotor, mini golf, electric car game and Kapitian Kids Kove. it also has the tower trolley car in minetown any one have any info on it???
    i will one day get the map on here. if anyone has any qustions about anything in the park in that time period I ll be happy to take a look at the map.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:19 am

I remember Trolley Car being in Minetown until 1997. It was moved out to Midway for 98 when Great Bear was built. I also didn't realize that Kaptain Kid's Kove was still around in 1990. Was it removed in 91 for Trailblazer Catering?
    coasteral

Post  coasteral Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:13 pm

The only thing I remember is in the late 90s we use to go to Hershey Park and the Giant wheel was always there. I cant remember the year it was taken down. I can remember them taking it apart and making way for that weird coaster. That coaster was cancled though, and they put starship america and ballon flight.
    I also remember when all Midway was just the ferris wheel and the wildcat and acouple of other rides. No boardwalk though. Sad Surprised
    vw87tech
    vw87tech
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  vw87tech Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:42 pm

What was the trolley car? was it a restaurant or something? Kapitians kid kove must of been gone by 91. i dont remember any of it. I dont think my parents liked that thing or something. i would love to see some photos of kids kove.
    i think the giant wheel taken down right after the 2004 summer season. I never forget going to the 2004 candy cane lane and seeing it gone. I was nearly in tears and asking all the employees where it was... and they said gone.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:06 pm

The Trolley Car is your basic snack stand that resembles a trolley car. It's now located by the Midway kiddie rides and right across from the restrooms/changing rooms for Midway/Boardwalk.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 4:16 pm