Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is online?

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 146 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:59 pm

+12
billybobjoebob
Kozmo 1
HersheyBoy
technocolor
HPfangirl4life
vw87tech
gb980109
Park Connoisseur
ChiefRedskin89
HPCrazy
warhawk911
Ccron10
16 posters

Hersheypark: Sooperdooperlooper Renovation Thread

Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Hersheypark: Sooperdooperlooper Renovation Thread Empty Hersheypark: Sooperdooperlooper Renovation Thread

Post  Ccron10 Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:02 am

Appearently at East Coast Bash yesterday someone from maintenance has mentioned that Sooperdooperlooper will be getting some new trains made by Gerstlauer, magnetic brakes, a new lift, and a new color scheme:

From eddie200330 at TPR:
    We learned an interesting thing during our maintenance shop tour at ECB. sdL is getting new trains for next year. They are being made by Gerstlauer. The head guy wouldn't say whether or not they would be lap bar only, he kinda smirked and avoided the question. Also the rides dept. told us during our lunch that they spent a lot of time in VA with I305 getting a feel for Skyrush.....how cool is that.

I personally didn't see this coming. I did hear some talk of it being changed back to the original whaite color. But I hope this is true.

By the way...
    Hersheypark: Sooperdooperlooper Renovation Thread Coaster_parts_001
    Train #3 still lives... just in pieces. This photo was taken by someone's friend at TPR.

Last edited by Ccron10 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
    warhawk911
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Hersheypark: Sooperdooperlooper Renovation Thread Empty Re: Hersheypark: Sooperdooperlooper Renovation Thread

Post  warhawk911 Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:25 am

Sweet! About friggin time.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Hersheypark: Sooperdooperlooper Renovation Thread Empty Re: Hersheypark: Sooperdooperlooper Renovation Thread

Post  HPCrazy Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:25 am

Perhaps that pretty much confirms that it will go back to its original scheme after all. Maybe the new trains will have the original orange color to them. I seriously don't think they need them though as the current trains are comfortable and seem to run well. I just hope they're not pulling another Magic Mountain on us and bless us with OTSR's.
    ChiefRedskin89
    ChiefRedskin89
    Talon: Grip of Fear Level

Post  ChiefRedskin89 Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:01 am

If Soooperdooperlooper get OTSRs I'll get really angry! There is absolutly no need for them and it would severly take away from the fun of the ride!

Also Gerstlauer doesn't seem like a very viable canidate for new trains. As far as I know don't they only have short, one car trains (Eurofighter/X-Car), junior, and wooden?

Opposed to most I really don't think they should go back to the original colors. I just think two white coaster and a yellow is just too much bright track. Also as nostagic as it is I think the original trains were just ugly!
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:12 am

ChiefRedskin89 wrote:If Soooperdooperlooper get OTSRs I'll get really angry! There is absolutly no need for them and it would severly take away from the fun of the ride!

I agree with you. It's exactly why I hear people complain about Revolution and not sooperdooperLooper. Ours may be the shortest of the two but our trains are just simply the best. OTSR's will kill the ride.
    ChiefRedskin89
    ChiefRedskin89

Post  ChiefRedskin89 Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:29 pm

Never in my life have I heard about a complaint about SDL and I think this will bring it on. Please Hersheypark if you are reading this do not add OTSR's.

On another note is this confirmed or just rumor? The trains may have just needed routine repairs.
    Park Connoisseur
    Park Connoisseur
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  Park Connoisseur Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:09 pm

ChiefRedskin89 wrote:If Soooperdooperlooper get OTSRs I'll get really angry! There is absolutly no need for them and it would severly take away from the fun of the ride!

Also Gerstlauer doesn't seem like a very viable canidate for new trains. As far as I know don't they only have short, one car trains (Eurofighter/X-Car), junior, and wooden?

Opposed to most I really don't think they should go back to the original colors. I just think two white coaster and a yellow is just too much bright track. Also as nostagic as it is I think the original trains were just ugly!

I have heard for a while now that Looper was getting new trains soon. It looks like next year will be the year.

'Mixed feelings' would be the phrase I'd use to best describe how I feel about it. Aside from the Comet, Looper is my favorite ride in the park. I'm disappointed to know that it will have a different feel to it next year. It's rare to find a ride still running how Anton Schwarzkopf intended it. Sadly, with new trains, that will not be the case in 2012.

I do like the old Schwarzkopf trains, and Looper's seem to be in good working order. I commend Hersheypark for that, as the ride will be 35 years old next season.

But, things don't last forever, and I'm sure parts for those trains are getter harder, and more expensive to come by. I'd rather they get new trains than get rid of the ride. For all we know, these new trains could add to the ride experience.

Gerstlauer makes a decent train, and from what I've heard, they will feature lapbar restraints. I have not heard that it will come with magnet brakes, though it wouldn't surprise me with the new trains. Magnetic brakes mean less wear and tear, which means less maintenance. And let's face it, magnetic brakes seem to be standard on any new steel coaster nowadays. Many manufacturers don't even make rides with fin brakes.

I have not heard of a new paint job. We'll just wait and see. I'd welcome the change back to white and orange.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:41 pm

I would think the new trains would have magnetic brakes. The existing brakes work fine, yes, but they're horrible for wear and tear on the ride. Plus, they make for a rather hard stop. Especially when the ride ran three trains and would occasionally stop in reduction because the first train in the station was taking much longer than the usual to load.

And I don't see them using OTRS. That seems completely unnecessary.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:39 pm

I hope you're right about the OTSR's gb980109. They would just kill the ride.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:16 pm

HPCrazy wrote:I hope you're right about the OTSR's gb980109. They would just kill the ride.
    It would kill the ride. But, there's no reason for OTSRs. There's only one loop - and the loop will keep you from falling out thanks to physics. Otherwise the ride coasts around (no pun intended) at what...35mph? I chalk all this OTSR talk to chatter. I really don't see getting OTSR trains for Looper.
    warhawk911
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  warhawk911 Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:12 pm

gb980109 wrote:
    HPCrazy wrote:I hope you're right about the OTSR's gb980109. They would just kill the ride.
    It would kill the ride. But, there's no reason for OTSRs. There's only one loop - and the loop will keep you from falling out thanks to physics. Otherwise the ride coasts around (no pun intended) at what...35mph? I chalk all this OTSR talk to chatter. I really don't see getting OTSR trains for Looper.

Yea it would keep you in your seat. Maintenance has done it before and they even told us one time that they loaded it with Ice Cubes and I think only 1 or two fell out.
    vw87tech
    vw87tech
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  vw87tech Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:22 am

when was the orange/white changed to the bluish/purple.
    i am thinking around 1990? anyone know?
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:39 am

1990, I believe. Possibly 1989.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:36 am

I'm pretty sure it was 1989 when the transition was made. The two old maps that Kim gave to me were from 1988 and 1990. The 1988 one indicates that it was still tan and the 1990 one indicates that it was blue by that time.
    HPfangirl4life
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  HPfangirl4life Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:21 am

I only see one change with respect to the restraints. Seatbelts, ala Comet's addition of them in 2003 (?). That would be redundant to me since those lapbars slam against your body anyway, but maybe not so much for the little kids. I haven't been skinny in a long time, so I can't remember how close they've come to squishing me like they do now.

Uncertain about a color change for track/cars. There might be too much blue in the area after Skyrush goes in. Though I think white will be too much since Comet is there. Guess we will just wait and see next spring. It's pretty exciting that Comet Hollow is getting so much attention for 2012. It's always been my favorite area of the park Very Happy
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:00 am

The Looper's original paint scheme was never white. Compare a pic of the Looper from the 70's/80's with Revolution at Magic Mountain...you will definitely notice the difference. We always had the tan structure and orange track/trains prior to the blue scheme. Revolution was always the straight white color and still is today. Tan and white are different colors and I highly doubt that they will affect things that much. In fact, I think that Looper blends in with the Bear too much and that tan would make it stick out more. I think if Comet would be more of an off-white color or something similar to Thunderhawk at Dorney or if Looper would have Revolution's paint scheme, then I would think that it would be an issue. I agree with you in regards to when Skyrush goes vertical and we also have to remember that Bear's supports are also a light blue. So yes, there definitely would be too much blue in the area.
    HPfangirl4life
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  HPfangirl4life Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:05 pm

I apologize. I don't know why I keep saying "white." I did see it mentioned that it was tan, instead of white. Tan would be alright. Boring, but unique. I can't remember, no matter how hard I try, it ever being anything other than blue. And I have vivid memories of going to Hershey in 1988 (even had season passes from 1993 to 1998). So I should have seen it tan colored. Though I didn't ride SDL until 1997. I was terrified of going upside down (that is soo laughable now!). Maybe I tried to block out even what it looked like in my memory because I was so afraid of it back then?
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:25 pm

That's okay, just making sure we're on the same wavelength. I'm in the same boat as you as far as memories go from the 80's. My only summer visit that I can remember would have been when I was a toddler back in 1986. For some reason I do remember riding the Skyride and also remember the Earthmovers being my favorite ride at the time. The only other time I would've been there during that period would have been 1989 for Candylane and that's it. By that time though, Looper would've already been painted blue.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:41 pm

HPCrazy wrote:I'm pretty sure it was 1989 when the transition was made. The two old maps that Kim gave to me were from 1988 and 1990. The 1988 one indicates that it was still tan and the 1990 one indicates that it was blue by that time.
    I recently saw an 89 map, and I thought it was still orange, but I'm not sure one way or the other. I thought it was 90 before, so I'm sticking with that for now.

Also, in these pictures from your old Tripod site...
    Hersheypark: Sooperdooperlooper Renovation Thread 23%20-%20Hersheypark%20Sooperdooperlooper%20-%209-20-1986
    Hersheypark: Sooperdooperlooper Renovation Thread 23%20-%20Hersheypark%20Spring%20Creek%20-%208-28-1988

Looper looks white to me. I've also always heard it called the "orange-and-white scheme."
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:18 pm

There was an aerial image from the 1989 Antique Auto Show looking out towards the park and you could clearly see that Looper was blue. In the 1988 image of the show (same view looking out towards the park) it was tan. If I can find those pics, I'll post them up.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:35 pm

HPCrazy wrote:There was an aerial image from the 1989 Antique Auto Show looking out towards the park and you could clearly see that Looper was blue. In the 1988 image of the show (same view looking out towards the park) it was tan. If I can find those pics, I'll post them up.
    Okay, makes sense to me. I'd love to see the pics if you can find them! (Also, the two pictures I posted above, top is from 86, bottom from 88.)
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:03 pm

I found those aerials. If you look closely, you can spot the Looper in the background. The 88 image shows it as tan while the 89 image shows it as blue.

1988:

Hersheypark: Sooperdooperlooper Renovation Thread 198811

1989:

Hersheypark: Sooperdooperlooper Renovation Thread 198911

This pretty much makes it clear that 1989 was the first year that it was painted blue.

I also take back about the ride being strictly tan. After looking at a photo from around the late 70's, I think the middle of the track was white along with orange running rails. The structure itself looked like it was tan though.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:25 pm

Those are cool pictures to see and obviously confirms the 89 repaint.

Can you post some of the Looper pics from the 70s?
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:27 pm

This one I found over in Shane's Amusement Attic on Theme Park Review:

Hersheypark: Sooperdooperlooper Renovation Thread Sooper10

I think it was taken either the late 70's or early 80's.
    technocolor
    technocolor
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  technocolor Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:31 pm

This may be off topic but I was told that Roller Soaker was only to last 10 years...next year is 10 years could we see its removal in the future???
    warhawk911
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  warhawk911 Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:32 pm

technocolor wrote:This may be off topic but I was told that Roller Soaker was only to last 10 years...next year is 10 years could we see its removal in the future???

I heard that as well and I do believe that it is off topic
    HersheyBoy
    HersheyBoy
    Trailblazer Level
    Trailblazer Level

Post  HersheyBoy Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:46 am

Ccron10 wrote:Appearently at East Coast Bash yesterday someone from maintenance has mentioned that Sooperdooperlooper will be getting some new trains made by Gerstlauer, magnetic brakes, a new lift, and a new color scheme:

What do you suppose the "new lift" is? I'm just curious!!!!! Also I would LOVE to see the original colors for next year!
    Kozmo 1
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  Kozmo 1 Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:38 pm

I hope this is not true at all. The SDL is one of my favorite rides at Hershey and think it's running and looking great as is.

I think the Swarzkopf looping trains are the nicest coaster trains ever designed and are VERY comfortable too. Please no seatbelts or OTSR's or ugly new trains.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:46 am

Kozmo 1 wrote:I hope this is not true at all. The SDL is one of my favorite rides at Hershey and think it's running and looking great as is.

I think the Swarzkopf looping trains are the nicest coaster trains ever designed and are VERY comfortable too. Please no seatbelts or OTSR's or ugly new trains.
    Looper doesn't run great at all. "Well enough," is a better way to put it. The ride needs new trains - to have magnetic brakes. It's easier to get new trains than to refit the old ones. As for the "new lift," I think that's meaning a new chain and sensor system. I wouldn't be surprised if Looper got a new computer, too.
    warhawk911
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  warhawk911 Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:17 am

gb980109 wrote:
    Kozmo 1 wrote:I hope this is not true at all. The SDL is one of my favorite rides at Hershey and think it's running and looking great as is.

Looper doesn't run great at all. "Well enough," is a better way to put it. The ride needs new trains - to have magnetic brakes. It's easier to get new trains than to refit the old ones. As for the "new lift," I think that's meaning a new chain and sensor system. I wouldn't be surprised if Looper got a new computer, too.

They most definitely might get a new computer if they are getting magnetic brakes. That piece of junk is in dire need of updating.
    Kozmo 1
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  Kozmo 1 Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:42 am

I will just miss the classic Swarzkopf trains, but at least it doesn't sound like the ride will be removed anytime soon.

I guess Shwarzkopf isn't even making trains anymore? I know Weiland was still doing trains and parts back when Laser got it's new trains. But I guess not if they're going with another company altogether for this.

I hope someone will be takeing alot of Looper pics to commemorate how it looked before the overhaul.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:04 pm

Kozmo 1 wrote:I will just miss the classic Swarzkopf trains, but at least it doesn't sound like the ride will be removed anytime soon.

I guess Shwarzkopf isn't even making trains anymore? I know Weiland was still doing trains and parts back when Laser got it's new trains. But I guess not if they're going with another company altogether for this.

I hope someone will be takeing alot of Looper pics to commemorate how it looked before the overhaul.
    Schwarzkopf doesn't exist anymore. Intamin owns most, if not all, of Schwarzkopf's patents. Gerstlauer, however, is essentially a descendant of Schwarzkopf, because Hubert Gerstlauer worked for Schwartzkopf before starting his own company, and bought a number of production facilities from Schwartzkopf as they were going under.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:07 pm

gb980109 wrote:Schwarzkopf doesn't exist anymore. Intamin owns most, if not all, of Schwarzkopf's patents. Gerstlauer, however, is essentially a descendant of Schwarzkopf, because Hubert Gerstlauer worked for Schwartzkopf before starting his own company, and bought a number of production facilities from Schwartzkopf as they were going under.

So what you're basically saying is that we'll be receiving a newer version of the existing trains?
    Kozmo 1
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  Kozmo 1 Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:17 pm

HPCrazy wrote:
    gb980109 wrote:Schwarzkopf doesn't exist anymore. Intamin owns most, if not all, of Schwarzkopf's patents. Gerstlauer, however, is essentially a descendant of Schwarzkopf, because Hubert Gerstlauer worked for Schwartzkopf before starting his own company, and bought a number of production facilities from Schwartzkopf as they were going under.

So what you're basically saying is that we'll be receiving a newer version of the existing trains?

I hope this is the case Smile Love those trains!
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:49 pm

HPCrazy wrote:

I don't know if I'd go that far in saying that. Gerstlauer's rides haven't exactly been a Scchwartzkopf part 2 operation, so to speak. They seem to be focusing on 4-wide, 2 row cars or 2-wide, 2 row spinning cars for the coasters they build.

I'd imagine the new trains would be similar to the old trains, but, I don't know what that means for the kind of lap bar...whether it would be like Trailblazer and Looper currently, or one bar that goes across both seats (or the rather unlikely OTSRs).
    billybobjoebob
    Little Phantom Level
    Little Phantom Level

Post  billybobjoebob Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:41 pm

is it possible that Gerstlauer is somehow "refurbishing" the already existing trains?
    billybobjoebob
    Little Phantom Level
    Little Phantom Level

Post  billybobjoebob Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:44 pm

HersheyBoy wrote:
    Ccron10 wrote:Appearently at East Coast Bash yesterday someone from maintenance has mentioned that Sooperdooperlooper will be getting some new trains made by Gerstlauer, magnetic brakes, a new lift, and a new color scheme:

What do you suppose the "new lift" is? I'm just curious!!!!! Also I would LOVE to see the original colors for next year!

i personally think that new lift probably just means a new chain, but then again that is my personal opinion
    rcoaster
    Trailblazer Level
    Trailblazer Level

Post  rcoaster Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:39 pm

Would be interesting how Gerstlauer does the train in comparison to how Zierer did it for Teststrecke (formerly Dorney Park's Lazer).
    BrandonStrouphauer
    BrandonStrouphauer
    Great Bear Level
    Great Bear Level

Post  BrandonStrouphauer Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:50 pm

I heard Great Bear is also scheduled for new paint for 2012. And, Looper should be getting new magnetic brakes, new trains(as mentioned before), new lift chain(as mentioned before), and new paint(as mentioned before) I'm not sure that magnetic brakes was mentioned, but, SDL should be gettin em(from what I hear) Very Happy
    woozybear
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  woozybear Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:40 pm

I for one will be very happy when SDL gets new brakes. My daughter and I were on it the other day and the brake just before the station was grabbing very hard, and sent both of us flying into the lapbar. She loves to ride SDL, but may not for a while after this.

HPfangirl4life
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  HPfangirl4life Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:20 am

woozybear wrote:I for one will be very happy when SDL gets new brakes. My daughter and I were on it the other day and the brake just before the station was grabbing very hard, and sent both of us flying into the lapbar. She loves to ride SDL, but may not for a while after this.

Those brakes have pretty much always grabbed hard. Some times have definitely been worse than others. Ever since my first ride on SDL (12 - 13 years ago Shocked ) I brace my arms on the grab bar on the back of the seat in front of me and plant my feet so I can shove my body as far away from the lap bar as possible. I do this as soon as the train rises from the helix. Those brakes are too painful any other way. A new magnetic brake system would be much appreciated!
    CoasterBGW
    CoasterBGW
    Sky Rocket Level
    Sky Rocket Level

Post  CoasterBGW Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:41 am

New trains are essentially official... and they will feature lapbars! Why? becuase Gerstlauer loves lapbars!

Watch the video here:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE1rMIYzngA&t=53s
    Kozmo 1
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  Kozmo 1 Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:18 am

CoasterBGW wrote:New trains are essentially official... and they will feature lapbars! Why? becuase Gerstlauer loves lapbars!

Watch the video here:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE1rMIYzngA&t=53s

Thanks for the update! Great to hear lapbars and no OTSRs. I hope their are no seatbelts either...one thing I always love about Looper is the capacity...hope it stays the same.

I wonder what the trains will look like though and if the ride itself is actualy chaning colors and to what colors?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:47 am