Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is online?

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 146 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:59 pm

+4
coasteral
hpinsane
Fanatic
HPCrazy
8 posters

My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now)

HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now) Empty My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now)

Post  HPCrazy Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:49 pm

I finally got some images of the completed drawing I was working on over this past spring and summer and that I was also updating you guys too. Many thanks to Flying Phils Photos, Bing aerial and satelite imagery, as well as my own photos from the past few seasons. After I show you these photos, I have a little surprise in store, so keep your eyes open!

Sorry about the yellowishness quality of the pics. I edited them in Picture It but stupid Photobucket wasn't uploading the edited images after I saved them. They are pretty clear though, just the yellowish tint is the annoyance on here.

**EDIT** Looks like the images appeared correct after all.

HERSHEYPARK 2009 - complete aerial done entirely in pencil by me:

My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now) DSC06569
    The space at the top will be left blank at the moment as I may add the HP logo there to help balance things out.

My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now) DSC06566

My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now) DSC06571
    Entrance area

My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now) DSC06572
    Founder's Circle

My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now) DSC06567
    Comet Hollow and Minetown

My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now) DSC06574
    Minetown and ZooAmerica

My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now) DSC06573
    Pioneer Frontier

My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now) DSC06570
    The Boardwalk

My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now) DSC06568
    Midway and the Boardwalk

I also plan to do a Candylane overlay of this drawing sometime after I go this weekend. The overlay will be done on tracing paper with the open sections of the park only drawn. Stay tuned for the surprise!
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now) Empty Re: My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now)

Post  HPCrazy Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:57 pm

Now for the surprise! I found one of my very first attempts of ever drawing Hersheypark back in 1997. These photos show the whole thing updated for 1998 because I have Great Bear drawn into it. I'm sure you can see a big change between the two drawings, but I'll let the images speak for themselves.

HERSHEYPARK 1997 - One of my first attempts at drawing the whole park, drawing was dated 1997, but these images have 1998 updates on them.

My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now) DSC06559
    Park overview

My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now) DSC06565
    Stadium

My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now) DSC06564
    Entrance area

My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now) DSC06561
    Carrousel Circle

My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now) DSC06560
    Minetown, Music Box and Comet Hollow

My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now) DSC06563
    Pioneer Frontier

My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now) DSC06562
    Midway

I found several more drawings of the park that I've done around here, but I wanted to share the current (most recent that I'm working on) along with one of the first attempts I've ever done. Let me know what you all think.
    Fanatic
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now) Empty Re: My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now)

Post  Fanatic Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:46 pm

Really, I'm speechless. Those are amazing! Great detail, even on the earlier one. You should consider submitting it as a park map. Definitely beats the computer-generated one that HP has. Exclamation
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:45 pm

Most of the people over at Theme Park Review (including the coaster celeb Robb Alvey himself) have told me the same thing. I'd love to submit it over to Hersheypark for them to see it but I don't know what would happen there.
    Fanatic
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:19 pm

Maybe you'll get some money in for it, but maybe they'll rip you off on the other end, too. Anyway, keep on doing what you do because the pictures are awesome! Very Happy
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:13 pm

Well I did email them the images today, I don't expect that much to happen. We'll just wait and see it.
    hpinsane
    hpinsane
    Hydra: The Revenge Level

Post  hpinsane Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:39 pm

Have you heard back about this, and is there anyway you can upload higher resolution images? Maybe even onto Wikimedia Commons?
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:53 pm

What's Wikimedia Commons? Never been there, at least I don't think I was. Wink

Nope, haven't heard anything back yet. I don't know what would be going on.
    hpinsane
    hpinsane

Post  hpinsane Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:40 am

This is Wikimedia Commons: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Commons is a wiki for uploading pictures and other images. If you needed upload large high resolution images, you can upload them there after you create a user name and login.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:22 pm

Thanks for informing me about it. I'll check it out when I have a chance. Smile
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:42 pm

Well it's almost Christmas and that means it's time to reveal my tissue layover of my Hersheypark drawing - Christmas Candylane edition:

My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now) DSC06833-1

Here's an overview of what I've done. As you can see, I simply traced over the open areas of the park, added some decorations here and there, as well as the N.O.E.L. light show. Rides that only operate during the event are shown.

My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now) DSC06834-1

The entrance area. I've added little decorations in there, something that you would see if you visited the park at Christmas.

My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now) DSC06835-1

As you can see, there's no Comet or Great Bear.

My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now) DSC06836-1

Comet Hollow, along with the N.O.E.L. light show, the Kissmas Tree, and one of the Fun Slides they set up under Great Bear's barrel roll.

My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now) DSC06837-1

Santa Clause Lane, the Santa-themed overlay to the back of the park during Christmas.

My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now) DSC06838-1

The Twilight Express, as well as Santa's Stables.

I hope you enjoy the pics. Let me know what you think. Smile
    Fanatic
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:35 pm

That's very cool looking. Especially without some of the major rides, it looks great!
    coasteral

Post  coasteral Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:42 pm

this is a very cool drawing. I remember what it looked like in 2004 when we first met each other. Very Happy Its amazing that you have kept up with it all these years. I would like to know when you started this drawing Smile
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:28 pm

I hope there will be enough changes done in 2011 that will result in me changing this around. The Lemon Drop Shop doesn't really do it justice. We'll see.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now) Empty My (vintage) drawing of Hersheypark!

Post  HPCrazy Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:49 pm

I came up with an idea of re-transforming my drawing of Hersheypark. A lot of you may recall the thread over at TPR where I've been showcasing it in its entirety of how the park looks today in its current form. I've been thinking of how a lot of us may like to see how the park looked in the 1980's so I sat down and gave this some thought. I would like to do a vintage 1989 version of the drawing showcasing of what the park looked like during that season.

Here is what the drawing looks like right now:

My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now) 100_1824

What I plan on doing is tracing the park over to where it stopped then (Western Chute Out and Canyon River Rapids) leaving areas where former rides were blank. After this stage is done, I'll draw in the removed/relocated rides and structures in those areas, followed by the final stage which would be to retrace it via carbon copy paper onto a sheet of paper that would roughly fit that area of the park onto it. But before I can begin this project, I need your help. I'm creating a list of all the changes I can think of regarding how things were in 1989. Feel free to edit this list and let me know if I'm wrong anywhere:

RHINELAND:
    -Sky Ride
    -Small kiosk inside the main entrance that is no longer there.

CARROUSEL CIRCLE:
    -Giant Wheel
    -Tilt-A-Whirl (old location)
    -Starlight Arcade
    -Carrousel Cone
    -Old shade arbors
    -Small kiosk that was located between the Craftbarn and Dutch Fudge shop. The Get the Picture booth resides a few feet from where this kiosk existed.

MUSIC BOX WAY
    -Old Music Box Theatre
    -Starship America (old location)
    -Earthmovers
    -No Milkmen stage (can someone help me out as to what was in this area around this time)
    -Cyclops

COMET HOLLOW
    -Rotor
    -Whack-A-Mole stand looked different, more like how the game stands out in Music Box/Midway look like now
    -No Great Bear...weeping willow trees that used to reside along the creek
    -Mini Golf Course that used to reside where Great Bear's barrel roll and S-turn are now
    -Comet's old exit

TOWER PLAZA
    -Name of whole area changed to Minetown in the 90's but was still referred to Tower Plaza I believe prior to that
    -Himalaya
    -Coal Shaker (does anyone know where I can find a pic of the ride building)
    -Old Penny Arcade/Minetown Restaurant
    -Sky Ride
    -Coal Cracker's old exit and on-ride photo booth

PIONEER FRONTIER
    -No Sidewinder (what was here before it was built? My thoughts were a catering area?)
    -No Storm Runner (area was off limits to the public)
    -Rodeo
    -Canyon River Rapids
    -Western Chute Out
    -Wells Cargo
    -Conestoga
    -No Food Court (although all the buildings were there, several housed kiddie rides, food and other things I believe)

If anyone can help me out via photos or sites that have photos from around this time period, your help would be greatly appreciated! I do have some photos that were donated to the old HPCrazy site that I've kept and I'll use those as reference. I'd like to see this project become a success and need all the help I can get! Wink

Last edited by HPCrazy on Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:06 pm

Check out the vintage photo collection inside the photo gallery. I think there are a few that you're talking about.
    http://keystonethrills.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=7789135
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:36 pm

Yeah, I think a lot of those were originally donated to me for the old Tripod HPCrazy site (also donated to HPSlappy). They just remained and became a part of the new site which evolved into Keystone Thrills. I do have some other ones that were also donated to me which feature Minetown in 1996/97 which features the old Skyride station at that end, as well as the old Coal Cracker exit/on-ride photo booth.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:32 pm

I've started to work on step one (the tracing process) which will include tracing all of the park that existed in 1989, leaving out spaces where defunct rides/structures stood or were relocated. There will be no detail with this step, just basically a simple line drawing to give me some help perspective and proportion-wise for when I go to add the final version to the paper. Will include a pic of step one once completed to give you an idea on what I'm informing you about.
    ChiefRedskin89
    ChiefRedskin89
    Talon: Grip of Fear Level

Post  ChiefRedskin89 Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:36 pm

I'm almost positive I've said this before but that drawling is absolutly amazing! That must have taken forever and it looks great.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:50 pm

Thanks! What I'm working on now will be a vintage version of the same drawing but will be of the 1989 season. I'm doing all the research I can to make this thing as realistic as current drawing. I'll be informing you all as each step is completed leading up to the final stage of the project.
    Fanatic
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:40 pm

You truly are talented in this. I enjoyed your current drawing, but this might be even better! I always wanted to see a detailed vintage map of HP (I have an old brochure from back then but the pictures aren't even 2d - lol), and now you're making one! Wink And I know it will come out detailed as ever.
    Looking forward to it! Very Happy
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:57 am

I have most of the south side of the park traced. Thank goodness for my S.O.S. and Images of America books because without those, I would be lost with how Minetown looked pre-1990. There is no timetable with this project, I'm just working on it as I have the time to do so.
    Fanatic
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:39 pm

I wouldn't put a time on the project, either. It's going to take time anyway, and it's better you don't rush it for a deadline.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:05 pm

Just to let you know that the tracing stage is done. This phase will look inaccurate with empty spots for removed/relocated rides, removed structures, etc. I'll try to get a pic up soon. Wink
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:05 pm

Wanted to bump this topic and show you guys some of the recent work done to my drawing.

My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now) 100_2514
    Park overview

My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now) 100_2516
    Close-up of Skyrush construction site.

ChiefRedskin89
    ChiefRedskin89

Post  ChiefRedskin89 Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:11 pm

All I can say is wow! Very well done! Will you add Skyrush when it opens?
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:24 pm

Yes, Skyrush, the new path and renovated Comet Hollow will all be featured. If Looper returns to its original tan paint scheme, that could be a problem though.
    warhawk911
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  warhawk911 Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:00 pm

That is indeed nice work!
    Fanatic
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:49 pm

Very nice work once again! I see you touched it up quite well.

On another note, how large exactly are your drawings?
    tedgarb
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  tedgarb Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:14 pm

Holy C*** these are amazing. You really have a talent for this.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:56 pm

Here are some better images of my drawing:

My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now) Dsc00010

Entrance area

My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now) Dsc00011

Comet Hollow before the remodeling, as well as the Skyrush construction area.

My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now) Dsc00012

Food court, Sidewinder and Storm Runner

My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now) Dsc00013

Fahrenheit, The Boardwalk - The Shore, Intercoastal Waterway and Roller Soaker.

My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now) Dsc00014

Midway, The Boardwalk - Coastline Plunge and East Coast Waterworks

My completed drawing of Hersheypark (for now) Dsc00015

Midway and Lightning Racer
    Fanatic
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:17 pm

The attention to detail is phenomenal!
    The rooftop features and windows make your map extremely well drawn.
    I also really like the angles you have drawn the rides on, as they give a full and detailed view. Smile
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:12 pm

Thanks Fanatic. Smile

I've now motivated myself to work on more of the parking lot portion. Right now I currently have the Giant Center completed as well as the surrounding parking lots about half complete. Expect some photos of these areas once I'm finished with them.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:31 pm