Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is online?

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 146 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:59 pm

+23
HersheyBoy
SupremeScream
AMGTKK14
Fanatic
andyroo1998
vw87tech
billybobjoebob
HPfangirl4life
BrandonStrouphauer
coasteral
The Storm Runner
technocolor
Ccron10
gb980109
Fooz
pushingbuttons
warhawk911
CoasterBGW
bboynfuel
Kozmo 1
Park Connoisseur
ChiefRedskin89
HPCrazy
27 posters

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread

HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread Empty Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread

Post  HPCrazy Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:14 am

Now that we know the name, it's time to put "Attraction 2012" by the wayside. Now's the time to begin on expressing our thoughts and opinions on Hersheypark's newest roller coaster.

Looks like we made it into the York Dispatch:

http://www.yorkdispatch.com/news/ci_18600962

Since a sixth-grade class trip to Hersheypark, where he rode the Comet roller coaster 10 times in a row, Spring Grove resident Matthew Meckley has become a roller coaster connoisseur.

Some don't go fast enough and some aren't tall enough, he said. But the 28-year-old Keystone Thrills roller coaster club member is impatiently waiting for Hersheypark's newest - which features floorless seats - to open in 2012.

Hersheypark officials shared Skyrush with park guests Tuesday afternoon. The roller coaster will be the 12th in the park, as well as the fastest, longest and tallest.

Meckley and other Keystone Thrills members discovered the park would unveil a new roller coaster about a month ago after checking the park's new

Matt Meckley of Spring Grove watches a video of 'Skyrush' the new HersheyPark roller coaster. (Bil Bowden)trademark license requests. They attended the park Tuesday, eager to hear more details.
    The $25 million roller coaster will leave the station at 26 feet per second and crest at 200 feet. The train will plunge down an 85-degree descent traveling around curves and dips at 75 mph. The 3,600-foot track will be a 63-second ride.

"I'm excited about the height of this thing," he said. "It's amazing. I like the thrill of (roller coasters)."

Trains will seat four riders per row, with the two outer seats being winged and floorless to give riders a 270-degree panoramic view of the park. The trains, which will also have magnetic braking to stop at a speed proportionate to the weight of the train, are the first of their kind in the country, said Kent Bachmann, director of design and engineering at Hersheypark.

"What we were missing is a megacoaster," he said. "Each time they go, they'll remember something different (about the ride)."

The roller coaster will allow the entire family - from grandparents to grandchildren - to enjoy the rush. Keeping the ride family-friendly was important to designers, Bachmann said.

Construction is under way on the site formerly known as Sunken Gardens. Bachmann anticipates test rides will begin in April and the ride will open for the public in May 2012.

Fahrenheit, a vertical-lift inverted loop roller coaster, is the most recent addition at the park. It debuted in 2008.

Aidan Moore, 11, of Newberry Township, called Fahrenheit his favorite, but is looking forward to Skyrush's debut.

"I think it looks really high and exciting," he said. "I'm kind of nervous about how fast it is and then how steep it is."

ChiefRedskin89
    ChiefRedskin89
    Talon: Grip of Fear Level

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread Empty Re: Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread

Post  ChiefRedskin89 Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:58 pm

First of all congrats on making the York Dispatch!

On to Skyrush. The name I didn't like at first but with the slogans and logos they've picked I'm very satisfied! The colors to me are about as good as it gets. I havn't seen it in person yet but I think it will look very magestic. I just hope that it stays goldenrod not pale yellow(take notes from Storm Runner).
    Park Connoisseur
    Park Connoisseur
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread Empty Re: Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread

Post  Park Connoisseur Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:10 pm

There are other sites that I frequent, and I found a post that I pretty much agree with - almost completely - regarding Skyrush.

Like this guy, I'm exited to ride this roller coaster, and I'm glad that Hershey is adding another steel coaster. But, I felt the announcement was a bit anticlimactic, maybe because I knew of most of the details for some time.

I hope this ride delivers "in person".

Anyway, the post...

URC Thread wrote:Preface to my post: I am very much looking forward to riding this thing next spring. It looks like a fun experience.

But, again, I am left underwhelmed by the details of the ride, more than I was by the "rumored" information.

It's saving grace may be the...

> Model Mega/hyper coaster with winged seating

> Seat Details
    > Cantilever geometry
    > Four seats per car (two floored, two floorless)
    > Floorless outer seats are winged
    > Outer seats offer a 270-degree panoramic view

I don't know what a 270 degree panoramic view is. It sounds made up. Otherwise, I'm excited for these trains. No mention so far of the restraints. Here's hoping for lap-bars, like the B&M staggered-seating trains. Fingers crossed.

> Structure Steel track
    > Maximum Height 200 feet

What happened to the requested height of 212.2? That's what the park submitted for this ride. Why is it 12 feet shorter? Why is no one talking about this short-coming?

Track Length 3600 ft

Are you kidding me? That's it? All I heard all along was that this would be the longest ride in the park. Well, it is... by 100 feet. This is PATHETIC, in my opinion, and it's got me all fired up again about Hershey's decision making.

> Elements

> 50-degree ascent

Sounds good.

> 85-degree descent

Sounds GREAT!

> Four high-speed/high-banked curves

Sounds good.

> Five airtime hills

Sounds good - I thought there'd be more.

> Lift Speed 26 feet per second

Sounds good, I'm thinking cable lift, though no mention was made of this either.

> Maximum Speed 75 mph (+/-)

Sounds good, but it's just a smidge faster than Storm Runner, which is listed on RCDB as 75 mph. I thought it was 72.

Why hasn't the height of the first drop been released? Too short to market? Fromt he looks of the construction site, I'm thinking less than 190. Still good, but not what I was expecting.

> CAPACITY AND RIDE TIME
    > Number of Trains 2
    > Capacity per Train 32 riders

I was hoping for three trains. But 32 riders at a time is not bad. Especially when you factor in...

> Approximate Ride Time 63 seconds
    > Theoretical Ride Capacity 1,350 riders per hour

Wow. Just wow. Pathetic ride time. I would hope that this is the time from the top of the lift to the brakes, but I doubt it. It seems as if that is the estimated time from dispatch to station brakes.

We already know that 26 seconds is lift, leaving 37 seconds for the rest of the ride.

The brakes are where I suspected them to be. So, take off another 20+ seconds for brakes, return to station.

> COST
    > Projected Cost $25 million (estimated)

... a major portion of which is the excavation and construction. This ride looks to be a $10-15 million ride on a flat piece of land.

Again, I can't wait to ride it. For now, I'm just disappointed, again, in another too short roller coaster from Hersheypark.

I'm sorry, but aside from the extensive marketing campaign (whose parts don't seem to add up) this all has the feel of "going through the motions" from Hersheypark. It feels kinda' half-@$$ed to me, almost like they committed to an announcement date, but ran out of time to put everything together.

The announcement looked silly. The new image of the layout (yellow one) is very poorly done, and doesn't match up with the video or the aerial blueprint image.

The video is downright pathetic too. It looks like a 10 year-old did it on RCT. I hope more info is coming.

There is really nothing impressive about this ride for me. I think most people are underwhelmed by the announcement, but don't want to say so.

I do like the logo, though.

Link to URC Hersheypark/Skyrush Thread (with some differing opinions):

http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/forums/cgi/forum1.cgi?read=216844

In addition, I don't know what all the fuss is about, with riders picking seats. They should have 8 stalls, like Great Bear, and riders load where they want in the row. Groups of 4 ride together and decide which seat they want. It's not complicated, and there is no need to complicate it further with a funky queue like some parks have done with the B&M staggered trains.

In addition, have a single rider line to fill in the holes.

**Edit**

He fixed his math on the lift time. It's actually 10 seconds of lift time, leaving 53 seconds for the rest of the ride (brakes, and return to station included).

Last edited by Park Connoisseur on Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:25 pm

I can pretty much say that this coaster will have a singles rider line.

Edit:

I now present our first construction video update since the announcement:

Kozmo 1
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  Kozmo 1 Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:25 pm

Dissapointed too....another half a coaster for Hershey. With the crowds they draw and the money they make, they should have put in at least a full length (mile +) hyper, or really a giga...they could have been the first park to out-do Millenium Force. But instead we get another letdown. I really think the last thing HP did that I really liked was LR.

And please no single rider quee! I hate how people make a mochary of the single rider line at HEC and wish they'd do away with that one too. Unless they can somehow enforce it so it's actualy of use to legitimate single riders such as parents with small children or self-about enthusiasts, NOT teenagers/young people trying to skip the line.
    bboynfuel
    Trailblazer Level
    Trailblazer Level

Post  bboynfuel Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:48 pm

I'm thinking that the ride is 200 feet tall because there will be a lightning rod placed at the top that will be 12.2 feet tall. That's where the 212.2 variance comes in to play.
    CoasterBGW
    CoasterBGW
    Sky Rocket Level
    Sky Rocket Level

Post  CoasterBGW Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:27 pm

bboynfuel wrote:I'm thinking that the ride is 200 feet tall because there will be a lightning rod placed at the top that will be 12.2 feet tall. That's where the 212.2 variance comes in to play.

According to Derry Township code these structures are exempt as long as they are not more than 50% of the permitted height:

Belfries
    Chimneys
    Cupolas
    Domes
    Flagpoles
    Antennas, other than satellite antennas (see § 225-183) and communications antennas (see § 225-104)
    Skylights
    Spires
    Tanks
    Penthouses for housing mechanical equipment
    Windmills
    Sirens or alarms
    Utility poles, masts or towers
    warhawk911
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  warhawk911 Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:05 pm

Greetings! I'm new here but I just wanted to say that I cannot wait for this ride next year. I feel bad for those in the Hollow Ride Group who are going to have to put up with the throngs of people who will be riding this over Memorial Day weekend. Looking forward to all the updates from KT Smile
    pushingbuttons
    pushingbuttons
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  pushingbuttons Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:23 pm

HPCrazy wrote:I can pretty much say that this coaster will have a singles rider line.

I can guarantee you that this ride will not have a single riders line. It's the dumbest thing ever and in some cases is actually longer than the normal line. It was a mistake giving Fahrenheit a single riders line.

Fooz
    Trailblazer Level
    Trailblazer Level

Post  Fooz Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:33 am

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread Skyrush_art

I made this to help visualize the ride (at least the colors are somewhat correct).
    warhawk911
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  warhawk911 Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:19 am

Fooz wrote:Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread Skyrush_art

I made this to help visalize the ride (at least the colors are somewhat correct).

Nice pic Fooz.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:27 am

Love the pic. That's probably pretty close to what we'll actually see. It will be really stunning once we see it in person.
    ChiefRedskin89
    ChiefRedskin89

Post  ChiefRedskin89 Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:44 am

Awsome rendition I'm starting to like these colors more and more! You don't mind if I use this to show my general public friends what this ride will generally look like in the area do you?
    Fooz
    Trailblazer Level
    Trailblazer Level

Post  Fooz Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:28 pm

No problem go ahead.
    Park Connoisseur
    Park Connoisseur
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  Park Connoisseur Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:59 pm

pushingbuttons wrote:
    HPCrazy wrote:I can pretty much say that this coaster will have a singles rider line.

I can guarantee you that this ride will not have a single riders line. It's the dumbest thing ever and in some cases is actually longer than the normal line. It was a mistake giving Fahrenheit a single riders line.

I don't understand why a single rider line is problematic. It's only problematic if it's not operated properly. Otherwise, it's a great way to move people through a line and make sure trains are full.

If there are problems with Fahrenheit's single rider line, I don't think it's a good example of how such a line works at Hersheypark, and they should not base the decision to have one on Skyrush on Fahrenheit's operation.

Fahrenheit has small trains with rows of two. Skyrush has longer, "quirky" trains and pretty much has rows of four. It's the ideal situation for a single rider line. I sincerely hope that Hersheypark opts for a single rider line for Skyrush.

In fact, I wish the park had a single rider line on Great Bear and especially for Storm Runner.
    warhawk911
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  warhawk911 Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:16 pm

Waiting in the Comet que line is going to be even more noisey than it currently is when Skyrush opens.
    warhawk911
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  warhawk911 Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:17 pm

Park Connoisseur wrote:I don't understand why a single rider line is problematic. It's only problematic if it's not operated properly. Otherwise, it's a great way to move people through a line and make sure trains are full.

If there are problems with Fahrenheit's single rider line, I don't think it's a good example of how such a line works at Hersheypark, and they should not base the decision to have one on Skyrush on Fahrenheit's operation.

Fahrenheit has small trains with rows of two. Skyrush has longer, "quirky" trains and pretty much has rows of four. It's the ideal situation for a single rider line. I sincerely hope that Hersheypark opts for a single rider line for Skyrush.

In fact, I wish the park had a single rider line on Great Bear and especially for Storm Runner.

Indeed. Reeses Extreme Cup Challenge has a Single Rider line and that line is run smoothly even though some groups don't read and wind up in it then get annoyed when the bouncer tells them to get in the other line if they want to ride together. Very Happy
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:29 pm

Park Connoisseur wrote:I don't understand why a single rider line is problematic. It's only problematic if it's not operated properly. Otherwise, it's a great way to move people through a line and make sure trains are full.

Personally, I think Fahrenheit is a better example of a ride that should have a single rider line. Because there are fewer seats on a Fahrenheit train, that raises the value of each seat. Therefore, having one empty seat on Fahrenheit has a greater impact than one empty seat on Great Bear.

With that said, I don't have a problem with the park incorporating more single rider lines onto the rides. The problem is that the most of the coasters do not have the room to incorporate a line for that purpose; the room exists to build more queues, but I think a better purpose would be the rumored fast pass (see the Screamscape update from 2-17-11).
    warhawk911
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  warhawk911 Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:48 pm

gb980109 wrote:With that said, I don't have a problem with the park incorporating more single rider lines onto the rides. The problem is that the most of the coasters do not have the room to incorporate a line for that purpose; the room exists to build more queues, but I think a better purpose would be the rumored fast pass

I read that and I am curious as to how this is going to be done. With the new coaster, it is going to be needed but will be interesting. Can't wait for them to experiment with this, especially if they continue to expand the park.
    CoasterBGW
    CoasterBGW
    Sky Rocket Level
    Sky Rocket Level

Post  CoasterBGW Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:55 pm

It looks like they have a single rider / fast pass line in the plans:
    Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread Paths10

1 - appears to be the entrance from he queue area
    2 or 3 - one is the exit and the other is for some use...
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:52 pm

CoasterBGW wrote:1 - appears to be the entrance from he queue area
    1 appears to be the exit to me. It looks like you walk down the stairs, then once you get to the ground, you walk underneath the stairs to the GTP booth. I'm thinking 2 is the main queue and 3 is the single/fast pass/whatever queue, from the looks of it.
    warhawk911
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  warhawk911 Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:55 pm

gb980109 wrote:
    CoasterBGW wrote:1 - appears to be the entrance from he queue area
    1 appears to be the exit to me. It looks like you walk down the stairs, then once you get to the ground, you walk underneath the stairs to the GTP booth. I'm thinking 2 is the main queue and 3 is the single/fast pass/whatever queue, from the looks of it.

So there is going to be a picture? I mean...I figured there would be but always good to know one's instincts are correct.
    CoasterBGW
    CoasterBGW
    Sky Rocket Level
    Sky Rocket Level

Post  CoasterBGW Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:56 pm

Yes, that building in the middle right is the "Get the Picture" building.
    warhawk911
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  warhawk911 Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:59 pm

CoasterBGW wrote:Yes, that building in the middle right is the "Get the Picture" building.

Now I can get my picture and post it on facebook and send a copy of it to my parents in IL! LOL.
    Park Connoisseur
    Park Connoisseur
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  Park Connoisseur Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:16 pm

gb980109 wrote: Personally, I think Fahrenheit is a better example of a ride that should have a single rider line. Because there are fewer seats on a Fahrenheit train, that raises the value of each seat. Therefore, having one empty seat on Fahrenheit has a greater impact than one empty seat on Great Bear.

Oh, I'm not saying that Fahrenheit should not have single rider line (SRL). I was just disagreeing with the orignal poster who implied that because Fahrenheit's SRL is a mess, that Skyrush shouldn't have one. I think every major roller coaster should have one if the park is willing to properly train their ride ops on how to effectively use it.

I said that if the SRL doesn't work on Fahrenheit, that that shouldn't keep Hersheypark from having one on Skyrush. If a SRL doesn't work on a ride, it has nothing to do with the ride, just the people operating it. It either requires a proactive staff that cares about filling the train, or a separate line attendent.

gb980109 wrote:With that said, I don't have a problem with the park incorporating more single rider lines onto the rides. The problem is that the most of the coasters do not have the room to incorporate a line for that purpose; the room exists to build more queues, but I think a better purpose would be the rumored fast pass (see the Screamscape update from 2-17-11).

I for one hope the Hersheypark does not adopt a 'fast pass' system. The only one that I ever saw that I liked was Cedar Point's a few years back where it was free for everyone in the park, but you only got two exit passes all day. They stamped your hand, which told you at what hour you could come ride the ride and enter through the exit. They only allowed so many fast lane riders per hour.

I don't like the idea of making customers, who have already paid a good amout to get into the park, feel like second class citizens to those who can afford to pay more to skip the lines. Nothing is more annoying for me than to have waited for my turn to ride something and then have to wait an extra cycle because somebody paid extra to skip the line.

Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised to see such a system at Hersheypark within the next few years.

If they do, I hope they take a cue from the parks who rope off a certain car or row on the coaster train for such passes. Those who have the passes may not ride in the front or back of the train. If there are no "fast pass" users for a particular ride cycle, the attendants simply allow "normal" riders to sit in those seats.
    warhawk911
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  warhawk911 Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:27 pm

Park Connoisseur wrote:I don't like the idea of making customers, who have already paid a good amout to get into the park, feel like second class citizens to those who can afford to pay more to skip the lines. Nothing is more annoying for me than to have waited for my turn to ride something and then have to wait an extra cycle because somebody paid extra to skip the line.

Hershey already has a program that you pay money to utilize. It is called Sweet Access but you have to put down a lot of money AND being staying at the Camp Grounds, Hershey Lodge, or the Hotel Hershey. This program drives all ride operators nuts. I should know....I used to work in rides.
    ChiefRedskin89
    ChiefRedskin89

Post  ChiefRedskin89 Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:58 pm

I personnaly love the single rider line on RXCC! Me and my borther don't mind who we sit with and only want to compete with each other so we can ride more because of this line. It was also really fun when a bunch of rowdy teens got really cocky and annoying but then lost to two 8 yr olds, their mom, and me. Laughing I ended up having 185,000 that round!

Also with the fast pass system I really don't think it should be implimented. It makes it more expensive and makes the actuall line move even slower! Disney's works very well in my opinion but I don't think their's would work very well in Hersheypark. Fastpasses just make the line more stagnant and honstly I don't think Hersheypark's attendance would be enough to justify one. Other then Fahrenheit and the Boardwalk I usually have no problems with the lines and Fahrenheit's is so long because of its god awful capacity, something Skyrush doesn't have. Very Happy

Last edited by ChiefRedskin89 on Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
    warhawk911
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  warhawk911 Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:01 am

ChiefRedskin89 wrote:I personnaly love the single rider line on RXCC! Me and my borther don't mind who we sit with and only want to compete with each other so we can ride more because of this line. It was also really fun when a bunch of rowdy teens got really cocky and annoying but then lost to two 8 yr olds, their mom, and me. Laughing I ended up having 185,000 that round!

HAHAHA!!!! I love beating people when I'm by myself in the back car. I take care of their garbage. I mean...come on people! Hit the same target twice. Don't leave those orange ones around for me to hammer at. I'll cream ya every time!

And yes...the single rider line is fantastic. My wife and I utilize it all the time.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:00 am

Park Connoisseur wrote:I don't like the idea of making customers, who have already paid a good amout to get into the park, feel like second class citizens to those who can afford to pay more to skip the lines. Nothing is more annoying for me than to have waited for my turn to ride something and then have to wait an extra cycle because somebody paid extra to skip the line.
    Well, I believe most every other major amusement park in the region, with a notable exception, has a fast pass. The exception is the Cedar Fair parks - Kings Dominion and Dorney Park, though Cedar Point has a VIP system like Hershey's Sweet Access.

I think the best way implement a fast pass is to use a mid-line attendant who can merge the two lines together. As an example, having a mid-line attendant at Great Bear would allow let's say 3 trains worth of people into the station. So they count 96 people and stop the line. If you got a group of four in the fast pass line, you let them in and the other 92 people from the main line.

I really don't take much issue with the fast pass otherwise. I have no problem going into Great Adventure or Kennywood and someone bypassing me because they paid the money for it. To me, that's part of the deal of going to a park.
    Park Connoisseur
    Park Connoisseur
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  Park Connoisseur Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:12 pm

From the 'Attraction 2012' thread...

Ccron10 wrote:
    Q: What was the segnifigence of the spider fibers and white dwarf particles?
    A:They were toying with the idea of constallations and at the time, they haven't figured out a name yet so they added it into the game just in case ...it went down that road. Interestingly, one of us thought the name Draco would be a good name for the ride and it was close to being picked, but it fell through at the last minute. As for the spider fiber, they asked themselves, "what would an advanced institution like RIT develop?" So they added it into the game as one of their fictional inventions.

Q: What was the winged creature that flew above the rain forest?
    A: This was a clue paying homeage to the winged trains.

I find this interesting. Was Draco the name/theme for this ride, until someone on this site called it early? It seems likely due to the fact that an all early clues dealt with space, and one referred to a winged creature. Too bad, because I like Draco much better than Skyrush.

Let's face it, with Great Bear and Comet, a 'space' name like Draco makes more sense. Perhaps Hersheypark decided against that name since it was "outed" early. Maybe they thought someone leaked the name, and changed it as a result.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:56 pm

Park Connoisseur wrote:I find this interesting. Was Draco the name/theme for this ride, until someone on this site called it early? It seems likely due to the fact that an all early clues dealt with space, and one referred to a winged creature. Too bad, because I like Draco much better than Skyrush.

Let's face it, with Great Bear and Comet, a 'space' name like Draco makes more sense. Perhaps Hersheypark decided against that name since it was "outed" early. Maybe they thought someone leaked the name, and changed it as a result.
    No, the Draco name was a direct result of a suggestion on this site. It wasn't considered any earlier than that. So, it wasn't "outed." it was just that it didn't make it across the finish line, unlike Skyrush, which is a name that when I first heard it I didn't really like, but it's really grown on me and I like it at this point. It's a very clean, marketable name.

But I agree. Draco would've been a great name. Going with a constellation theme would have made a lot of sense. With that said, I still like the Skyrush name. But it does make me think that perhaps Hersheypark's theme is that there is no theme, akin to the plot of Seinfeld being that it's a show about nothing.
    warhawk911
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  warhawk911 Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:41 am

I'm going to be driving around the area later this morning and I'm going to take a gander along Park BLVD to see what I can see from the roadway.

Edit: Just got back from HP and I do have some photos Will try to upload them later today if I can get them off of my phone.

Edit 2: I'm going to have to send it over to my wifes cell and email them to myself if I am going to post them here.
    Park Connoisseur
    Park Connoisseur
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  Park Connoisseur Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:21 pm

gb980109 wrote: No, the Draco name was a direct result of a suggestion on this site. It wasn't considered any earlier than that. So, it wasn't "outed." it was just that it didn't make it across the finish line, unlike Skyrush, which is a name that when I first heard it I didn't really like, but it's really grown on me and I like it at this point. It's a very clean, marketable name.

But that's not what the summerized answer in the interview suggests. It suggests that a space "theme" was in play early.

I have no insider information as you may have, (as you sound as if you work for the park), but it definitely reads like space and winged creatures (i.e. Draco) was the road this ride was taking until something changed. I wish they would have stayed that course.

gb980109 wrote: But I agree. Draco would've been a great name. Going with a constellation theme would have made a lot of sense. With that said, I still like the Skyrush name. But it does make me think that perhaps Hersheypark's theme is that there is no theme, akin to the plot of Seinfeld being that it's a show about nothing.

Skyrush does seem more marketable than Draco. But Draco is a much cooler, meaner name. I don't think Skyrush has grown on me, as much as I've just accepted it as this ride's name, as uninspired as it may be.

I wouldn't say Hersheypark is without theme. They do have western section with western-themed rides. They also have a mine-themed section with mine-themed rides. They have a Rhineland and Tudor Square too (areas that they seem to be stripping the charm/theme from). And of course the water park is themed to the "local" shore points.

Another space-named ride wouldn't have hurt. They could have focused it more on the dragon aspect of Draco, if they wanted to avoid over-doing the space thing.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:33 am

Park Connoisseur wrote:I wouldn't say Hersheypark is without theme. They do have western section with western-themed rides. They also have a mine-themed section with mine-themed rides. They have a Rhineland and Tudor Square too (areas that they seem to be stripping the charm/theme from). And of course the water park is themed to the "local" shore points.
    Pioneer Frontier has mostly lost it's western theme. Conestoga, Chute-Out, Rodeo are gone, and the rides that have replaced them are Howler, Fahrenheit and cabanas. Midway America's theme was lost years ago, and now the old music has been replaced. Minetown only has one mine-themed ride - Coal Cracker. The Boardwalk is the best themed. Founder's Circle was really well themed in 2005, but that was stripped down a bit. Rhineland and Tudor Square are aging.

My point I was going for though was that the names of rides don't often fit any particular theme. Great Bear went into Minetown and didn't get a mine-themed name. Fahrenheit is not a western themed name and Storm Runner is a long stretch (as is Steel Stampede and Renegade if either of those were voted as the name). Lightning Racer fits as a classic midway name with Wildcat. Roller Soaker, which was in Midway America, clearly doesn't (although that was a naming contest). It's a better fit now that it's in the Boardwalk.
    warhawk911
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  warhawk911 Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:29 am

I haven't pulled the pictures from my phone yet but after what I saw yesterday, there is a lot of water in the construction site due to the heavy rains we received the last couple of days. This may not delay the construction project all that much but they need to clear the water out before resuming if I am not mistaken. At least the hill side looked clear enough that they may continue to work in that area but the ground is going to be very very wet.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:41 am

gb980109 wrote:Pioneer Frontier has mostly lost it's western theme. Conestoga, Chute-Out, Rodeo are gone, and the rides that have replaced them are Howler, Fahrenheit and cabanas. Midway America's theme was lost years ago, and now the old music has been replaced. Minetown only has one mine-themed ride - Coal Cracker. The Boardwalk is the best themed. Founder's Circle was really well themed in 2005, but that was stripped down a bit. Rhineland and Tudor Square are aging.

I'd say that Frontier still has a bit of western theming going on. It may not be like it was in the 80's/90's, but at least it's not entirely lost (at least they play country western music out there). Almost the same with Midway except with the music. I was upset when the big band music was dropped because they were still playing it out there during STITP and even on opening day. I don't know what you're referring to with Founder's Circle having some of its theming stripped....it looks pretty much like it did in 2005 to me. Minetown needs an update, it pretty much hasn't changed since 1990 except when Great Bear and Frog Hopper were added. Tudor and Rhineland could look worse but with the recent renovation/addition of Hersheypark Place and Hospitality Services and the renovations/newer paintjobs of the exteriors of Chocolate House, Kosher Mart/Skyride station and newer signage everywhere throughout those two areas, at least they were able to keep them both refreshed instead of having them completely look antiquated and back in the 70's.
    warhawk911
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  warhawk911 Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:28 am

Can we take theming to another thread? I mean....I drove on Park Blvd after dropping wifey off at work and there were a lot of workers showing up to get back to work! I couldn't tell how much water there was inside but it looks like they are ready for some more hard work.

Shift work...hard work....9 to 5 blue collar work and baseball cap....Very Happy

I just hope that the rains hold off so they can actually get more done today.
    Park Connoisseur
    Park Connoisseur
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  Park Connoisseur Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:46 am

I apologize for quoting another website again, but this perspective was too interesting to pass up, and is certainly pertinent to the discussion here.

Speaking of I-305, KD paid $25 million for it. 305 feet tall, over 5,000 feet long.

Cedar Point paid $25 million for Millennium Force. 310 feet tall, over 6,500 feet long.

Hersheypark is paying $25 million for Skyrush. 200 feet tall and 3,600 feet long.

What's wrong with this picture?

The difference is the location, and it kinda' gives you an idea of how much it's costing Hersheypark to move a creek, excavate, and build this ride where they've chosen to build it.

Decisions to build things where they have in the past (cough-waterpark-cough) have added millions to this ride's pricetag, and probably played a part in this ride's less than inspiring statistics.

I hope this ride's location adds that much more to the ride experience.

In retrospect, it would have been better to build Fahrenheit where Skyrush will sit (as it has a compact footprint), and build a long majestic megacoaster starting at Fahrenheit's current location.

Valid points all around, I think.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:29 pm

warhawk911 wrote:Can we take theming to another thread? I mean....I drove on Park Blvd after dropping wifey off at work and there were a lot of workers showing up to get back to work! I couldn't tell how much water there was inside but it looks like they are ready for some more hard work.

Shift work...hard work....9 to 5 blue collar work and baseball cap....Very Happy

I was just thinking the same thing. I'm going to begin a topic for that kind of discussion right now. Wink
    warhawk911
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  warhawk911 Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:35 pm

Park Connoisseur wrote:I apologize for quoting another website again, but this perspective was too interesting to pass up, and is certainly pertinent to the discussion here.

In retrospect, it would have been better to build Fahrenheit where Skyrush will sit (as it has a compact footprint), and build a long majestic megacoaster starting at Fahrenheit's current location.

This part I'm not so sure about. Fahrenheit I think is in a great spot, especially right outside Boardwalk. Skyrush is probably in a great location because of the other rides its going to interact with. Storm Runner does not interact with three great rides. Skyrush will interact with at least Looper and Comet and according to the announcement, it is supposed to interact with Bear as well.
    warhawk911
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  warhawk911 Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:36 pm

HPCrazy wrote:
    warhawk911 wrote:Can we take theming to another thread? I mean....I drove on Park Blvd after dropping wifey off at work and there were a lot of workers showing up to get back to work! I couldn't tell how much water there was inside but it looks like they are ready for some more hard work.

I was just thinking the same thing. I'm going to begin a topic for that kind of discussion right now. Wink

HAHA!!! Thanks...maybe I'll join in that discussion. I used to work there and yea...I'll save it for the other thread.
    Park Connoisseur
    Park Connoisseur
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  Park Connoisseur Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:35 pm

warhawk911 wrote:
    Skyrush is probably in a great location because of the other rides its going to interact with. Skyrush will interact with at least Looper and Comet and according to the announcement, it is supposed to interact with Bear as well.

If by "interact" they mean cross over as you climb the lift, and cross over as you hit the brakes, then yes, Skyrush will interact with Comet. More appropriately, Comet interacts with Skyrush.

It will pass by Looper as it begins its lift, but I wouldn't call that "interacting". And there is no interaction with Great Bear at all. Those are just empty marketing words, just like "270 degree panoramic view".
    warhawk911
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  warhawk911 Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:12 pm

Park Connoisseur wrote: Those are just empty marketing words, just like "270 degree panoramic view".

So you are saying that it won't be a 270 degree panoramic view? Question affraid
    Park Connoisseur
    Park Connoisseur
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  Park Connoisseur Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:17 pm

warhawk911 wrote:
    So you are saying that it won't be a 270 degree panoramic view? Question affraid

No, I'm just saying that it doesn't make sense.

It sounds like an invented term that Hersheypark needed to better market the ride.
    warhawk911
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  warhawk911 Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:23 pm

Park Connoisseur wrote:
    warhawk911 wrote:

No, I'm just saying that it doesn't make sense.

It sounds like an invented term that Hersheypark needed to better market the ride.

I don't think that is true based on what I've seen so far.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:15 pm

Park Connoisseur wrote:I apologize for quoting another website again, but this perspective was too interesting to pass up, and is certainly pertinent to the discussion here.

Speaking of I-305, KD paid $25 million for it. 305 feet tall, over 5,000 feet long.

Cedar Point paid $25 million for Millennium Force. 310 feet tall, over 6,500 feet long.

Hersheypark is paying $25 million for Skyrush. 200 feet tall and 3,600 feet long.

What's wrong with this picture?

The difference is the location, and it kinda' gives you an idea of how much it's costing Hersheypark to move a creek, excavate, and build this ride where they've chosen to build it.

Decisions to build things where they have in the past (cough-waterpark-cough) have added millions to this ride's pricetag, and probably played a part in this ride's less than inspiring statistics.

I hope this ride's location adds that much more to the ride experience.

Fahrenheit couldn't go where Skyrush is. That's not a valid point whatsoever. In regards to the waterpark, from what I've heard is that the current location of the Boardwalk was not the first choice and that the township blocked the first choice. I suspect whoever wrote that thinks that the park can do whatever it wants where ever it wants, and that's the farthest thing from the truth.
    warhawk911
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  warhawk911 Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:18 pm

gb980109 wrote: Fahrenheit couldn't go where Skyrush is. That's not a valid point whatsoever. In regards to the waterpark, from what I've heard is that the current location of the Boardwalk was not the first choice and that the township blocked the first choice. I suspect whoever wrote that thinks that the park can do whatever it wants where ever it wants, and that's the farthest thing from the truth.

That last part is especially true considering what they had to do just to get approval for Skyrush. Variances and exemptions? If the Park could do whatever it wants, then it wouldn't need approval from the local authorities.
    Park Connoisseur
    Park Connoisseur
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  Park Connoisseur Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:36 pm

gb980109 wrote: Fahrenheit couldn't go where Skyrush is. That's not a valid point whatsoever.

Well, obviously Fahrenheit, as it is configured now, could not go on the Skyrush site. I didn't read it that way. I read "Fahrenheit could go there" as that coaster, the one Hersheypark wanted to build with a beyond vertical drop and inversions. Clearly the layout would have had to have been a little different to place the ride there. But it could certainly have been done.

gb980109 wrote: In regards to the waterpark, from what I've heard is that the current location of the Boardwalk was not the first choice and that the township blocked the first choice.

This is false, and it seems to be a bad rumor that is floating around employees of Hersheypark, and people who know employees at Hersheypark. I've heard it on many occasions, and it simply is not true.

From what I've always understood, other locations were considered for the water park, but the township had nothing to do with the decision to place it where it currently sits.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:40 pm

Park Connoisseur wrote:This is false, and it seems to be a bad rumor that is floating around employees of Hersheypark, and people who know employees at Hersheypark. I've heard it on many occasions, and it simply is not true.

From what I've always understood, other locations were considered for the water park, but the township had nothing to do with the decision to place it where it currently sits.
    That's something I've heard from township people. For what it's worth, there have been about 1 million places the waterpark was considered for.
    warhawk911
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  warhawk911 Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:17 pm

Just to update you all....291 days and counting Very Happy

I will be taking pictures with my digital camera tomorrow. Will upload when I get home Smile

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 3:04 am