Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is online?

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 146 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:59 pm

+23
HersheyBoy
SupremeScream
AMGTKK14
Fanatic
andyroo1998
vw87tech
billybobjoebob
HPfangirl4life
BrandonStrouphauer
coasteral
The Storm Runner
technocolor
Ccron10
gb980109
Fooz
pushingbuttons
warhawk911
CoasterBGW
bboynfuel
Kozmo 1
Park Connoisseur
ChiefRedskin89
HPCrazy
27 posters

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread

billybobjoebob
    Little Phantom Level
    Little Phantom Level

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread

Post  billybobjoebob Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:14 pm

oh yeah that would make sense!
    billybobjoebob
    Little Phantom Level
    Little Phantom Level

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread

Post  billybobjoebob Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:32 pm

This is getting really boring Sleep When is something going to happen, it seems like they're moving at the pace of a freakin snail Exclamation Question
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:49 am

billybobjoebob wrote:This is getting really boring Sleep When is something going to happen, it seems like they're moving at the pace of a freakin snail Exclamation Question
    That's why you need to have a life outside of watching a coaster being built and just be happy that they're building one.
    Also, please cut down on the usage of smiles.
    BrandonStrouphauer
    BrandonStrouphauer
    Great Bear Level
    Great Bear Level

Post  BrandonStrouphauer Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:19 pm

billybobjoebob wrote:This is getting really boring Sleep When is something going to happen, it seems like they're moving at the pace of a freakin snail Exclamation Question

I agree with Chris.. And, I don't consider them moving like a snail.. you think nothing's happening? Um.... Construction workers are working everyday.. Also, probably as i am typing this response, "something" is happening at the construction site. Sure.. no steel up yet.. but, is steelwork the only thing you consider "Something?" I guess footers, utilities, and digging don't count?
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:13 pm

If you're following the updates that Chris has been recently putting up, you'll see that there is progress but it takes time. I also agree with Chris in that there is "life" outside of building a coaster. Just give them a chance, you will be pleased with the result.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:59 am

While this may not have to do with Skyrush, I thought I may post it here for anyone who may not have seen it. For those of you who remember the old train sign that used to sit at the park's old entrance from the 1970's through 2002, I'm glad to mention that (according to Chris on our Facebook group) it's now returned and sitting at the parking lot exit (intersection before the traffic light). Expect photos from some of our members coming soon!

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread - Page 3 N5406511
    billybobjoebob
    Little Phantom Level
    Little Phantom Level

Post  billybobjoebob Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:08 pm

Ccron10 wrote:
    That's why you need to have a life outside of watching a coaster being built and just be happy that they're building one.
    Also, please cut down on the usage of smiles.

First of all, i do have a wonderful life that i enjoy outside of watching a roller coaster being built, and i am very happy that they're building one. and i will cut down on all the smiles. as far as my comment, i should have been more clear. what i meant was not that nothing is happening. i meant to say that i wish something different will happen soon, which i think will.

Also, does anyone think there will be any new headchoppers on the latter out and back section of comet due to skyrush's track/supports?
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:55 pm

New concept artwork courtesy of Hersheypark:

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread - Page 3 Adrvhu11

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread - Page 3 Adru6710
    BrandonStrouphauer
    BrandonStrouphauer
    Great Bear Level
    Great Bear Level

Post  BrandonStrouphauer Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:23 pm

Those pictures are GREAT! I'm wondering of those pictures are part of what will be a better and more realistic POV of Skyrush. I hope Kathy and Kent continue to post pictures like those two. Maybe of the second half/the rest of Skyrush and not focus mainly on the lift? :p I'm sure we'll get some more pictures like this of the rest of Skyrush. BUT.. Anyways.. it's GREAT to see HP starting to do more realistic stuff like this vs all NoLimits. Also, just think.. going up Comet hill will be teasing, as Skyrush's hill will be right at your face, heck. The entire ride of Comet will be teasing now having this thrill machine over top of you and next to you the entire ride. ONE last thing... Has anyone thought about this.. Will Skyrush give added thrill to Comet by giving Comet some "head and arm chopper" effects? Very Happy
    AMGTKK14
    Trailblazer Level
    Trailblazer Level

Post  AMGTKK14 Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:17 pm

Parts of a crane have appeared next to the Skyrush track. Vertical construction shouldn't be too far away.
    BrandonStrouphauer
    BrandonStrouphauer
    Great Bear Level
    Great Bear Level

Post  BrandonStrouphauer Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:40 pm

AMGTKK14 wrote:Parts of a crane have appeared next to the Skyrush track. Vertical construction shouldn't be too far away.

This is too exciting to hear! Razz I'm going to guess they will do the lift structure first. IMO. but, Idk. Very Happy
    billybobjoebob
    Little Phantom Level
    Little Phantom Level

Post  billybobjoebob Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:55 pm

Belo777 wrote:ONE last thing... Has anyone thought about this.. Will Skyrush give added thrill to Comet by giving Comet some "head and arm chopper" effects? Very Happy

I definately think there will be head chopper[s] during the second out and back portion affraid
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:13 pm

Recently posted by Harrison L. Michelson at the Project 2012 Facebook Group:

Two things to post...
    1) I think it's safe to say vertical construction has begun - if only because the second lift footer has part of the support structure built directly into it.

2) The restraint of Skyrush will not be an OTSR, it will be a lap bar.
    BrandonStrouphauer
    BrandonStrouphauer
    Great Bear Level
    Great Bear Level

Post  BrandonStrouphauer Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:16 pm

HPCrazy wrote:Recently posted by Harrison L. Michelson at the Project 2012 Facebook Group:

Two things to post...
    1) I think it's safe to say vertical construction has begun - if only because the second lift footer has part of the support structure built directly into it.

2) The restraint of Skyrush will not be an OTSR, it will be a lap bar.

-----
    To add to Matt's post, Chris is going to try to get an update tonight to see if he can confirm that Skyrush has indeed, gone VERTICAL! Very Happy (I have a feeling we might remember this day. :p )
    BrandonStrouphauer
    BrandonStrouphauer
    Great Bear Level
    Great Bear Level

Post  BrandonStrouphauer Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:52 pm

We have received confirmation from Roy, Skyrush has GONE VERTICAL!! 10 feet of lift supports up so far.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:27 pm

Skyrush has now gone vertical! Photos courtesy of Harrison Michelson:

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread - Page 3 37772411

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread - Page 3 30300410
    billybobjoebob
    Little Phantom Level
    Little Phantom Level

Post  billybobjoebob Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:36 pm

Will they use temp supports for the lift like they did for i305? And if so, i'm guessing one right in front of and right behind comet?
    andyroo1998
    andyroo1998
    Kozmo's Kurves level
    Kozmo's Kurves level

Post  andyroo1998 Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:43 pm

"I cant for whats going to happen in the next couple of weeks. Im sure wants hershey park opens for Christmas there will be more updates. I all so have two questions.im sure this is a little early but does any buddy no if theres going to a web cam pictures and a website for skyrush like there was for fahrenheit. And last does anybody no if there will be exclusive ride time on sky rush like there is at six flags Question" Question
    BrandonStrouphauer
    BrandonStrouphauer
    Great Bear Level
    Great Bear Level

Post  BrandonStrouphauer Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:08 pm

andyroo1998 wrote:"I cant for whats going to happen in the next couple of weeks. Im sure wants hershey park opens for Christmas there will be more updates. I all so have two questions.im sure this is a little early but does any buddy no if theres going to a web cam pictures and a website for skyrush like there was for fahrenheit. And last does anybody no if there will be exclusive ride time on sky rush like there is at six flags Question" Question

The Park did say there will be a webcam in a few weeks. And, there is a Skyrush "website"(More like a webpage) on the HP website.
    BrandonStrouphauer
    BrandonStrouphauer
    Great Bear Level
    Great Bear Level

Post  BrandonStrouphauer Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:10 pm

"Just at the Skyrush construction fence. Engineering BFF Steve said columns MIGHT go up next week. Woo hoo!"

~From Kathy's Twitter page~

[url=Just at the Skyrush construction fence. Engineering BFF Steve said columns MIGHT go up next week. Woo hoo! ]Just at the Skyrush construction fence. Engineering BFF Steve said columns MIGHT go up next week. Woo hoo! [/url]
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:45 am

I'll be there next Sunday for the Keystone Thrills Christmas meet-up so I plan on getting lots of pics for another blog update.
    andyroo1998
    andyroo1998
    Kozmo's Kurves level
    Kozmo's Kurves level

Post  andyroo1998 Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:19 pm

Belo777 wrote:
    andyroo1998 wrote:"I cant for whats going to happen in the next couple of weeks. Im sure wants hershey park opens for Christmas there will be more updates. I all so have two questions.im sure this is a little early but does any buddy no if theres going to a web cam pictures and a website for skyrush like there was for fahrenheit. And last does anybody no if there will be exclusive ride time on sky rush like there is at six flags Question" Question

The Park did say there will be a webcam in a few weeks. And, there is a Skyrush "website"(More like a webpage) on the HP website.
    were did you see that
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:52 pm

andyroo1998 wrote:
    Belo777 wrote:

were did you see that
    I forget where, but I do remember hearing something from a few people about it.
    As for ERT, I really have no idea.
    andyroo1998
    andyroo1998
    Kozmo's Kurves level
    Kozmo's Kurves level

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread - Page 3 Empty skyrush

Post  andyroo1998 Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:09 pm

So im really confused. Is skyrush going to be the first winged coaster in the usa because they said it was going to be but with wild eagle and the one at six flags or are they different models. Question
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:28 pm

andyroo1998 wrote:So im really confused. Is skyrush going to be the first winged coaster in the usa because they said it was going to be but with wild eagle and the one at six flags or are they different models. Question
    Wild Eagle is a Wing Rider; Wild Eagle will be the first to open in the United States (Dollywood announced March, Six Flags: Great America announced May). Skyrush is a Wing coaster, the first of it's kind.
    billybobjoebob
    Little Phantom Level
    Little Phantom Level

Post  billybobjoebob Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:56 am

Sooooo...what is the latest news as far as restraints? were lap bars ever confirmed? and will they use temp supports when constructing the lift?
    coasteral
    Hydra: The Revenge Level

Post  coasteral Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:02 am

Wow!!! This ride looks like its going to be good. Whats the latest on the new ride?? Very Happy
    BrandonStrouphauer
    BrandonStrouphauer
    Great Bear Level
    Great Bear Level

Post  BrandonStrouphauer Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:28 pm

From Hersheypark regarding the Skyrush WebCam.... " Hi Brandon, the camera is up and is collecting images, we're just working with our IT folks to get it integrated into the website...so the short answer is ....SOON!"

Also, some pictures posted on Facebook of Skyrush construction....

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread - Page 3 309752_10150475159570930_500510929_10998361_784781024_n
    ~From Harrison M

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread - Page 3 312280_10150474256615930_500510929_10995153_122547898_n
    ~From Harrison M

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread - Page 3 392088_10150474253570930_500510929_10995144_146883319_n
    ~From Harrison M

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread - Page 3 391748_10150474237530930_500510929_10995066_10855025_n
    ~From Harrison M

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread - Page 3 379818_10150473927690930_500510929_10993547_282859626_n
    ~From Harrison M

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread - Page 3 384443_10150473923920930_500510929_10993532_932890138_n
    ~From Harrison M

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread - Page 3 382599_229319147134813_100001701896693_572587_1853329032_n
    ~From Cody R

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread - Page 3 320858_229318560468205_100001701896693_572580_1108442001_n
    ~From Cody R (Gotta love this first curve.. :0 )

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread - Page 3 311715_292276657473146_100000724421732_987748_1103314564_n
    ~Taken by Brandon S(Me)

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread - Page 3 310253_292276490806496_100000724421732_987747_1252750883_n
    ~Taken by Brandon S(Me)

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread - Page 3 305781_10150372407032231_540657230_8662337_1152375925_n
    ~Taken by Matt M

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread - Page 3 380243_230351590364902_100001701896693_575466_1587283381_n
    ~Taken by Cody R

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread - Page 3 319920_10150372407382231_540657230_8662340_773022115_n
    ~Taken by Matt M

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread - Page 3 319543_10150372407472231_540657230_8662341_2002436692_n
    ~Taken by Matt M

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread - Page 3 388889_10150372407717231_540657230_8662344_1143011452_n
    ~Taken by Matt M

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread - Page 3 376229_10150372408912231_540657230_8662355_1585094490_n
    ~Taken by Matt M

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread - Page 3 391673_10150372409032231_540657230_8662356_825457519_n
    ~Taken by Matt M

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread - Page 3 385258_10150372409347231_540657230_8662360_288160059_n
    ~Taken by Matt M

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread - Page 3 388235_10150372414772231_540657230_8662426_938488504_n
    ~Taken by Matt M

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread - Page 3 381969_10150372408537231_540657230_8662350_1641219270_n
    ~Taken by Matt M

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread - Page 3 316092_10150372409432231_540657230_8662361_849073423_n
    ~Taken by Matt M

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread - Page 3 387538_10150372406592231_540657230_8662333_1994518357_n
    ~Taken by Matt M

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread - Page 3 391994_230348143698580_100001701896693_575451_1412444984_n
    ~Taken by Cody R

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread - Page 3 309722_230348163698578_100001701896693_575452_1573350693_n
    ~Taken by Cody R

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread - Page 3 391661_230348197031908_100001701896693_575453_1482115714_n
    ~Taken by Cody R

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread - Page 3 308185_230348280365233_100001701896693_575457_1876454680_n
    ~Taken by Cody R

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread - Page 3 390925_230348313698563_100001701896693_575459_630514114_n
    ~Taken by Cody R

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread - Page 3 391243_10150372413747231_540657230_8662415_1907683605_n
    And, i'll leave you with this, from the Keystone Thrills Christmas Candylane meet-up 2011! Very Happy
    ~Taken by David M
    pushingbuttons
    pushingbuttons
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  pushingbuttons Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:02 pm

billybobjoebob wrote:Sooooo...what is the latest news as far as restraints? were lap bars ever confirmed? and will they use temp supports when constructing the lift?

They will be a lap bar that comes over the shoulder, but will not feature a shoulder restraint. It will be like an over the shoulder clam shell.
    billybobjoebob
    Little Phantom Level
    Little Phantom Level

Post  billybobjoebob Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:33 am

ok, so sort of like bluefire?
    BrandonStrouphauer
    BrandonStrouphauer
    Great Bear Level
    Great Bear Level

Post  BrandonStrouphauer Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:03 pm

Question time... We all know a new path is being constructed from Rhineland to Comet Hollow... My question(One iv'e asked many people, since the announcement)is, what themed area of the park will this path be considered, will it be part of Rhineland, and part of Hollow, or, will a new themed area be created? Thoughts?
    pushingbuttons
    pushingbuttons
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  pushingbuttons Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:58 pm

billybobjoebob wrote:ok, so sort of like bluefire?

kind of but not exactly
    BrandonStrouphauer
    BrandonStrouphauer
    Great Bear Level
    Great Bear Level

Post  BrandonStrouphauer Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:47 pm

See all 57 images of Skyrush construction taken by me today here, [url= https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.300461156654696.78637.100000724421732&type=1&l=db784b9630] https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.300461156654696.78637.100000724421732&type=1&l=db784b9630[/url]

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread - Page 3 Pict0410
    SupremeScream
    SupremeScream
    Trailblazer Level
    Trailblazer Level

Post  SupremeScream Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:27 pm

Belo777 wrote:See all 57 images of Skyrush construction taken by me today here...

Could you upload those to the blog too, for us non-facebook-folk. Thanks!
    billybobjoebob
    Little Phantom Level
    Little Phantom Level

Post  billybobjoebob Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:09 pm

everyone is comparing this to I305, and undoubtedly it is very comparable, however when it comes to that overbank/transition, I am strongly reminded of Maverick!
    HersheyBoy
    HersheyBoy
    Trailblazer Level
    Trailblazer Level

Post  HersheyBoy Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:16 pm

I was just in Hersheypark yesterday and I was wondering: with this new path, will the path to get to the comet entrance and the swings be removed for Skyrush?

Is it just me or does this ride seem to be ruining the quaintness of the original Hersheypark?
    BrandonStrouphauer
    BrandonStrouphauer
    Great Bear Level
    Great Bear Level

Post  BrandonStrouphauer Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:38 pm

HersheyBoy wrote:I was just in Hersheypark yesterday and I was wondering: with this new path, will the path to get to the comet entrance and the swings be removed for Skyrush?

Is it just me or does this ride seem to be ruining the quaintness of the original Hersheypark?

That path is staying. And, no, I think Skyrush is proving Hersheypark's quality even more so. Bringing back and paying tribute to an abandoned area.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:38 am

HersheyBoy wrote:Is it just me or does this ride seem to be ruining the quaintness of the original Hersheypark?
    It depends on what you mean by original Hersheypark...whether that's Hershey Park prior to 1970, or the 1970s, 1980s Hersheypark. I think the answer is that the quaintness that was in Hersheypark of the 70s and 80s is still there in some form, with the entrance of the park. But, Great Bear was pretty disruptive in Comet Hollow and Minetown. Storm Runner, Fahrenheit dominate Pioneer Frontier. The Music Box Theater takes up a pretty sizable chunk of the park now these days. I think the park evolved away from that quaint, smaller park a number of years ago, but there's still some feeling of that left.

With that said, in this day and age they need to compete. And, they need a 200 foot tall coaster. Storm Runner will be 8 next year, so it's time for a new height king. But, while putting in this new coaster, they're opening up an area of the park that hasn't been used since 1972, which is a call back to the old days of the Sunken Gardens, with the electric fountain shows and all that. And despite Comet Hollow having a new domineering coaster, I think the Hollow will look great. It's going to have more trees and plants in that area than it has since had Great Bear came in 1998. It's going to look fresh instead of worn. The Sunken Gardens area will be an area to check out a really cool coaster, while reflecting on the history of the park.

It's something worth noting, also, that where the new path will run, it will be the first time since 1909 that a path ran through there. The old Miniature Railroad took up that path's spot in 1910, and ran through there until it's removal. Once it left, the path was never restored, because there was a path on the opposite side of the creek. So for the first time in 103 years, there will be a path on that side of the creek.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:50 am

gb980109 after reading your post, you maybe able to help me with something. Besides as was mentioned in the press release, you also just mentioned that the Sunken Gardens weren't closed until after 1972. I know this was also the year Carrousel Circle opened. Do you remember the park temporarily dead-ending where the current Hershey statue now resides, until Rhineland/Tudor were built? How about the temporary entrance that was used in 1971/72? Do you also remember that as well?

Getting back on topic, I think Comet Hollow will really look nice once all of this renovation is completed. Does anyone know if SDL will still be receiving new paint besides the new trains? No big deal if not, just curious. This area hasn't really had any major update since Great Bear went in and prior to that, it still looked pretty similar, except for the trees that lined the creek where Bear now runs. Something else I've been trying to figure out was the hill between Comet/Skyview. I've heard that's being completely regraded. I guess they'll have to relevel the walkway on either end to make that fit.
    Kozmo 1
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  Kozmo 1 Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:10 pm

HPCrazy wrote:gb980109 after reading your post, you maybe able to help me with something. Besides as was mentioned in the press release, you also just mentioned that the Sunken Gardens weren't closed until after 1972. I know this was also the year Carrousel Circle opened. Do you remember the park temporarily dead-ending where the current Hershey statue now resides, until Rhineland/Tudor were built? How about the temporary entrance that was used in 1971/72? Do you also remember that as well?

Getting back on topic, I think Comet Hollow will really look nice once all of this renovation is completed. Does anyone know if SDL will still be receiving new paint besides the new trains? No big deal if not, just curious. This area hasn't really had any major update since Great Bear went in and prior to that, it still looked pretty similar, except for the trees that lined the creek where Bear now runs. Something else I've been trying to figure out was the hill between Comet/Skyview. I've heard that's being completely regraded. I guess they'll have to relevel the walkway on either end to make that fit.

I asked on HP's facebook about the repaint and they replied no, just new trains.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:46 am

HPCrazy wrote:gb980109 after reading your post, you maybe able to help me with something. Besides as was mentioned in the press release, you also just mentioned that the Sunken Gardens weren't closed until after 1972. I know this was also the year Carrousel Circle opened. Do you remember the park temporarily dead-ending where the current Hershey statue now resides, until Rhineland/Tudor were built? How about the temporary entrance that was used in 1971/72? Do you also remember that as well?
    Yeah, as I recall, Carrousel Circle opened in 1972, but Rhineland/Tudor Square did not until 1973. Unfortunately, aside from the entrance of the park being near Lobby 1 of Hersheypark Arena, I don't know much about that. For that matter, I've never seen a picture of that entrance, nor what the front of Carrousel Circle looked like in 1972.

What I do know of the transition was that Hershey Park became Hersheypark in 1970 and the pinwheel logo came in 1971 along with the move of the entrance.

HPCrazy wrote:Getting back on topic, I think Comet Hollow will really look nice once all of this renovation is completed. Does anyone know if SDL will still be receiving new paint besides the new trains? No big deal if not, just curious. This area hasn't really had any major update since Great Bear went in and prior to that, it still looked pretty similar, except for the trees that lined the creek where Bear now runs. Something else I've been trying to figure out was the hill between Comet/Skyview. I've heard that's being completely regraded. I guess they'll have to relevel the walkway on either end to make that fit.
    I don't think the Comet hill is getting that much of a regrade. It might be an easier slope down and not as steep though. As for Looper, it is getting more blue paint, not a restoration to its original colors.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:55 am

gb980109 wrote:Yeah, as I recall, Carrousel Circle opened in 1972, but Rhineland/Tudor Square did not until 1973. Unfortunately, aside from the entrance of the park being near Lobby 1 of Hersheypark Arena, I don't know much about that. For that matter, I've never seen a picture of that entrance, nor what the front of Carrousel Circle looked like in 1972.

Yes, that's it. I wish I knew more about it though or whether or not there are pics floating around out there (I can't believe that no one has any somewhere). Do you remember on how that entrance was set up? I was told that the monorail was still seperately priced until 1973. I know the original ramp is still there but is now gated off. If you can find anything else regarding all of this, I'd really appreciate it!

gb980109 wrote:What I do know of the transition was that Hershey Park became Hersheypark in 1970 and the pinwheel logo came in 1971 along with the move of the entrance.

So the Sunken Gardens and Electric Fountain pretty much still existed the first year of Carrousel Circle? I'm guessing you could enter it from where the Hershey fountain is now, am I correct?

gb980109 wrote:As for Looper, it is getting more blue paint, not a restoration to its original colors.

Again, no big deal about the paint or anything, I know there was talk about it, but I'm fine with the current blue. Wink
    coasteral

Post  coasteral Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:25 am

As long as the weather keeps up like this, they will get this coaster done in no time. Razz
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:43 am

HPCrazy wrote:Yes, that's it. I wish I knew more about it though or whether or not there are pics floating around out there (I can't believe that no one has any somewhere). Do you remember on how that entrance was set up? I was told that the monorail was still seperately priced until 1973. I know the original ramp is still there but is now gated off. If you can find anything else regarding all of this, I'd really appreciate it!
    I only know that the entrance was there. I don't know how it was set up though. I assume it was temporary looking. I do believe you're right about the Monorail being a separate charge until 1973. And the original entrance walkway is still there; maintenance uses it for quicker access to the platform now.

HPCrazy wrote:So the Sunken Gardens and Electric Fountain pretty much still existed the first year of Carrousel Circle? I'm guessing you could enter it from where the Hershey fountain is now, am I correct?
    Yeah, that was there for the 1972 season. I would assume that disrepair is what caused them to close off the area. I did a little more reading last night, and one thing I found was that Rhineland was built in two phases. The first phase was immediately outside Carrousel Circle, which opened in 1972, and the rest that connected to Tudor Square opened in 1973. I'm figuring that it didn't go far enough to connect with the Sunken Gardens, so the only way to get to there then would have been via Comet Hollow on the path on the far side of the creek.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:05 pm

I never knew that about Rhineland. Where did you find this? I thought that Carrousel Circle just dead-ended where the statue is now and that Rhineland/Tudor may have been part of the Sunken Gardens. So basically are we looking at The Right Stuff shop, Famous Famiglia Pizza and the old Skyride building being constructed in 1972? Wherever you found this info, could you send me some links? I'd like to dig further into this and investigate some more.
    jray95
    Trailblazer Level
    Trailblazer Level

Post  jray95 Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:56 pm

Just saw on FB the webcam is up and running.

http://www.hersheypark.com/skyrush_2012/index.php

We're going to Candylane for a few days the last week in Dec. Looking forward to it!
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:06 pm

Welcome to the forums and thanks for posting that link. I managed to get it up on our Facebook group as well.
    andyroo1998
    andyroo1998
    Kozmo's Kurves level
    Kozmo's Kurves level

Post  andyroo1998 Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:53 am

jray95 wrote:Just saw on FB the webcam is up and running.

http://www.hersheypark.com/skyrush_2012/index.php

We're going to Candylane for a few days the last week in Dec. Looking forward to it!
    whats up with the webcam it seems that its been the same ever since it came up and the lift support is about 50 feet smaller.
    http://www.hersheypark.com/skyrush_2012/images/camera_image.jpg
    Park Connoisseur
    Park Connoisseur
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  Park Connoisseur Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:06 pm

billybobjoebob wrote:everyone is comparing this to I305, and undoubtedly it is very comparable, however when it comes to that overbank/transition, I am strongly reminded of Maverick!

I don't understand where the Intimidator 305 comparison comes from either. It's weird.

Structurally, the lifts appear to be the same, though the "base track", if you will, is very different. Really, the only thing these two rides have in common is the double-spined track and the fact that they are both Intamin rides.

The layouts have nothing in common. I-305 stays low to the ground, while Skyrush seems to have more hills. I-305 is all about speed and quick transitions, while Skyrush looks to emphasize negative G's. Intimidator is sprawled out, while Skyrush is very compact.

Additionally, neither ride has an "overbanked turn" as I've heard mentioned.

Skyrush and Comet Hollow Renovation - Official discussion thread - Page 3 C31t0990005bamq638t0t6

I don't mean to be overly technical or anal retentive, but pictured above is an overbanked turn, and I'm trying hard to think of another one in existence, but I can't. Millennium Force has three of them. Neither I-305 nor Skyrush has this element.

There looks to be a spot on Skyrush that twists the train past 90 degrees, but there is no turn associated with it. The element looks to be between two turns, much like that odd Storm Runner bank at the end. I-305 doesn't "overbank" at all.

I'm sure Skyrush will give a very unique ride. And once people ride it, the I-305 comparisons will stop.
    billybobjoebob
    Little Phantom Level
    Little Phantom Level

Post  billybobjoebob Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:03 am

stengel dive:

a hill with heavy banking at the crest before diving back to the ground

i think this is the term we're looking for instead of overbank.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:25 am