Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 146 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:59 pm

3 posters

Hersheypark: Little Comet/Mini Comet

Kozmo 1
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Hersheypark: Little Comet/Mini Comet Empty Hersheypark: Little Comet/Mini Comet

Post  Kozmo 1 Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:56 pm

Does anyone here have any information other than what RCDB has on Hershey's old kiddie coaster? I've never seen a photo and don't see it on any of the park maps that I have, and I have one from 1973...accourding to RCDB it should have existed in 73'.

Anyone have photos? Or even memories of the ride? Location in the park, color scheme etc?
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Hersheypark: Little Comet/Mini Comet Empty Re: Hersheypark: Little Comet/Mini Comet

Post  gb980109 Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:37 pm

Kozmo 1 wrote:Does anyone here have any information other than what RCDB has on Hershey's old kiddie coaster? I've never seen a photo and don't see it on any of the park maps that I have, and I have one from 1973...accourding to RCDB it should have existed in 73'.

Anyone have photos? Or even memories of the ride? Location in the park, color scheme etc?
    I haven't seen a map from 1974, however a map from 1975 (https://i.servimg.com/u/f43/16/33/45/59/hershe11.jpg) has it. It's called Mini-Comet. It's located near the high bridge crossover into Minetown. My guess is that it's where the game is in Comet Hollow across from the Comet station where the old Turnpike tunnel is. By 1977, it moved to Minetown somewhere approximately where the entrance to ZooAmerica is.
    Kozmo 1
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Hersheypark: Little Comet/Mini Comet Empty Re: Hersheypark: Little Comet/Mini Comet

Post  Kozmo 1 Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:37 pm

gb980109 wrote:
    Kozmo 1 wrote:Does anyone here have any information other than what RCDB has on Hershey's old kiddie coaster? I've never seen a photo and don't see it on any of the park maps that I have, and I have one from 1973...accourding to RCDB it should have existed in 73'.

I haven't seen a map from 1974, however a map from 1975 (https://i.servimg.com/u/f43/16/33/45/59/hershe11.jpg) has it. It's called Mini-Comet. It's located near the high bridge crossover into Minetown. My guess is that it's where the game is in Comet Hollow across from the Comet station where the old Turnpike tunnel is. By 1977, it moved to Minetown somewhere approximately where the entrance to ZooAmerica is.

Thank you for posting that Smile I like that map, never seen that one Smile I wonder if RCDB is off then on the year installed, as it would now look like it wasn't at the park until at least 74/75 unless it was in storage in 73 for some reason.

Another question, what is the old Turnpike tunnel your refering to? Is that still in the park? Do you mean the little tollgate/traffic light looking structure at the lower entrance to the Ampheature? I always thought it looked like something that may have been a remnant of the old Turnpike.

I also never knew the Hymalya use to be in Comet Hollow.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:49 pm

I think the tunnel is under the monorail bridge on which a path used to go through it. That path was removed when Storm Runner was put in, but the tunnel is still there..
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:12 am

Yeah, the tunnel is still there, but unused because of Storm Runner blocking the way. The tollgate structure at the Amphitheater is relatively new. They added that theming in the last few years, I'd think as a nod to the old Turnpike.
    Kozmo 1
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  Kozmo 1 Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:00 am

gb980109 wrote:Yeah, the tunnel is still there, but unused because of Storm Runner blocking the way. The tollgate structure at the Amphitheater is relatively new. They added that theming in the last few years, I'd think as a nod to the old Turnpike.

Thanks, didn't know the toll booth thing was new...don't go down that path all that often I guess.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:22 pm

I think the lower toll booth entrance was put in around 2008. I don't remember seeing it in 2007, but I remember that it was there for STITP 2008.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:29 am