Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is online?

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 146 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:59 pm

+3
HPCrazy
underslayer
Ccron10
7 posters

8/23/11 Earthquake Discussion thread

Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

8/23/11 Earthquake Discussion thread Empty 8/23/11 Earthquake Discussion thread

Post  Ccron10 Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:38 pm

Supposedly a half an hour ago we all experienced a 5.9 magnitude earthquake originating in Virginia. Let's discuss.
    underslayer
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

8/23/11 Earthquake Discussion thread Empty Re: 8/23/11 Earthquake Discussion thread

Post  underslayer Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:50 pm

I felt it in lingelstown. Wonder it hershey closed their rides to inspect them.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

8/23/11 Earthquake Discussion thread Empty Re: 8/23/11 Earthquake Discussion thread

Post  HPCrazy Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:59 pm

From what some of the Project 2012 people have discussed on Facebook, both Busch Gardens and Kings Dominion closed down their rides. Hershey remained running as normal.
    Fanatic
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:04 pm

I was actually sitting in front of my computer when I felt the shaking. It lasted about 20 seconds, but it completely threw me out of 'balance'.
    I was sitting in a swivel chair, so I figured it was my chair just rocking back and forth from something loose. When I saw my table and some fixtures shaking, I knew it must be some sort of earthquake or an aftershock of one.
    Went outside, made a phone call to corroborate the whole thing, and then I went online to check it out...

If anyone watched the news coverage of the whole thing..even 5 minutes of the story on CNN or something - you would think that we were hit by a magnitude 9. The newscasters inflate the situation a whole lot with all different talk sessions and segments. It's kind of funny after watching it for a while. Wink It's not a joking matter in any way, but I guess there wasn't much else for the news to talk about.. (although it is better than listening to some of the more pointless stories that seem to be mainstream nowadays)
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:14 pm

Nothing shut down in the park. I know it was quickly confirmed that everything was in normal operation. I wouldn't think any rides would break down as a result of a little bit of shaking - maybe a ride like Flying Falcon or Ferris Wheel, but that's about it.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:36 pm

I'm glad nothing was shut down at Hershey. I know Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens were affected but did re-open their attractions after inspection. I was concerned about Kings Dominion because Mineral isn't too far from Doswell/Ashland.

Same thing happened here Fanatic. I thought maybe a tractor or truck went by at first (we usually get a lot of those coming by here) because normally the windows will rattle with something during such a situation. Soonafter, I saw that a lot of my FB friends were confirming that it was an earthquake and I immediately put on Fox News to see what was going on. My mom's aunt lives in a high-rise (eighth floor) in downtown York and she also felt the shaking as well.
    chrisps
    Little Phantom Level
    Little Phantom Level

Post  chrisps Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:28 am

I felt the 5.9 earthquake today before 3pm today I was sleeping my familes sofa at the time of the earthquake the windows and the floor shock for about 20 secounds it was felt all over the area in are area today. I do not have any damage but it scared me becuse I did not know what it was at the time that it happend today. I thought that a truck or a big plan went over my families house. I did not think that it was an earthquake at the time that it happened today. The local news said that we might have small earthquakes all of this week at any time in the week. I am glad that there is no bad damage in the area from this earthquake today but there was some damage in parts of the south from the earthquake today but not real big damage. I hope that nothing was damaged at Hershey park when the earthquake happened before 3pm today. I have a question about Hershey park did the park have to close because of today's earthquake? my friend was at Hershey at the time of the earthquake buying tickets for a Hershey bears game that is going to happen in October of this year.
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:52 am

^As far as what I've heard, the park stayed open today.

For me, I decided to come home from my first college class of the day and get lunch, study, check my email, then head back over for my evening classes. I just finished studying and turned on my laptop and since my roommate went to classes, the apartment was quiet. Before 2pm, my room started viberating, but since I live right next to 422, I thought it was just a tractor trailor going by. After 5 seconds of my room shaking, watching my small flat screen TV shaking, and the cord to my desktop lamp swaying, I realized that this was one of those famous, but small Central Pa earthquakes. I was really starting to get nervous at this point and was totally expecting to see cracks start appearing on my ceiling.
    After sitting still on my chair for 15 to 20 more seconds, the shaking and viberating stopped and I opened up my blinds to see what was going on outside... there was nobody. Shocked
    BrandonStrouphauer
    BrandonStrouphauer
    Great Bear Level
    Great Bear Level

Post  BrandonStrouphauer Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:28 pm

I felt the shaking for sure here in Lebanon . And yes, Kings Dominion, Busch Gardens, Six Flags Great Adventure, and Six Flags America closed their rides to do quick inspections. Hersheypark and Dorney Park rides remained open. And, same with me, I thought it was just a tractor trailer going by, it happens all the time with route 72 right at my house(-__-) but, it was more consistent shaking and vibrations. It was certainly a different experience.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 5:21 am