Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is online?

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 146 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:59 pm

+60
EastSideSweeper
gci2011
QueerRudie
sanremored
HappyEisentrout
jlinbu
michaelcollier1
cmc0823
HPfanatic
L.R.fan5859
Park Connoisseur
Dmy11
philliez92
chris921
oriolesmagic
freakylick
Mr Talley
technocolor
rcoaster
Knowit4000
thom25
Jeter1186
warfelg
coasternerd
ts4unc
cgouse122
coasteral
PiperArcher
Fruitegable
leapthedips
Coast
kumbafire
ahecht
BrandonStrouphauer
intaminfan08
SupremeScream
PSUPrincess22
CoasterBGW
knowit*
MilleniumDork
coastercrazy
Bigcoaster95
HPfangirl4life
underslayer
tedgarb
The Storm Runner
pushingbuttons
Magnum PA
ViperGTS500
njcoast
rascalflatts
AdrenalineJunkie
FlyersFan
gb980109
Fanatic
CoasterEricHP
ChiefRedskin89
Ccron10
HPCrazy
64 posters

Hersheypark: Attraction 2012 Rumor and News Discussion

gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Hersheypark: Attraction 2012 Rumor and News Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Hersheypark: Attraction 2012 Rumor and News Discussion

Post  gb980109 Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:13 am

Hey, I got down to the park today and took a few pictures. They're nothing great because it's a camera phone, but it's better than nothing. Here's the link: https://keystonethrills.forumotion.com/t247-2012-update#3468

CoasterEricHP wrote:I also think the queue needs to take up some of SDL's extended queue... not really a reason for that anymore.. sadly..
    SDL is still one of the most ridden rides in the park on a yearly basis.

Also, the extended queue was eliminated several years ago.
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Hersheypark: Attraction 2012 Rumor and News Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Hersheypark: Attraction 2012 Rumor and News Discussion

Post  Ccron10 Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:01 am

gb980109, your update has been added to the New Keystone Thrills Update Blog.
    http://keystonethrills.wordpress.com/

It's starting to look like an actual construction site. Smile

I'm suprised no one mentioned the idea of having the storage track being under the station (hint: Cheetah Hunt).
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:19 am

That's awesome to see! Thanks!

I don't see there being storage track underneath the station because of the experience with Roller Soaker. From what I understand, the maintenance guys really don't like that.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:37 am

Great update gb980109! I'm happy to see more contributing to our photo updating of the project. Smile
    Magnum PA
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  Magnum PA Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:17 pm

gb980109 wrote:The Tilt-a-Whirl, the restrooms and the games are all getting moved for the new ride. I do know how much space there is down there.

I figured as much. It seems, as was mentioned above, that Whack-a-Mole is being moved too.

gb980109 wrote:Fahrenheit is a cookie cutter ride. The park wasn't shortchanging capacity for space - that was Intamin's fault for designing the coaster in such fashion. As for Storm Runner, where did they shortchange capacity? Runner trains have more seats than Dragster and Kingda Ka trains. The only way you could have more seats on Storm Runner is having more trains, like Kingda Ka having 4 or Dragster's 3. But there's no room for that and it's really not necessary to have 3 Runner trains when it's only a 180 foot top hat.

What? So much is wrong with that paragraph.

Cookie cutter would mean the ride, or very similar rides, have been built in other locations. What exactly does Fahrenheit have that is cookie cutter? The vertical lift? Nope - a first for Intamin. 97 degree first drop? Nope - steepest ever. Norwegian loop? No - only one of those. Has that layout, or a similar layout, been done before? No, the ride is original and unique to Hersheypark. Just because it's situated on a relatively flat plot of land and is compact does not mean it is not a custom ride.

Intamin's fault? Really? How it works is Hershey comes to a manufaturer and says something like "We want a coaster that does (blank) and we want it in this location. What can you do for us?" Sure Intamin was involved with designing a vertical, space saving lift (requiring short trains for weight issues), and a short station (that allows for fewer trains). But Hershey is ultimately responsible, as they have the ultimate final say on what design they want and what manufacturer they go with.

It was the same case with Storm Runner. Absolutely it should have more than two trains. But, the station is too short (because of space constraints). Train length has little to do with it. Ka can operate four trains due to its station/dispatch design. Dragster runs six, not three, because of its station and dual load/unload/dispatch/station design.

It's also funny that you mention that there was no room for that on Storm Runner. That's what I was talking about.

gb980109 wrote:Minetown had plenty of space; enough to build what is still the biggest steel coaster station in the park. Yes, it's a lynch pin turn around the station, but that was easy part. The way harder part was the Creek. That was premium land down there. They ate up half of the Comet Hollow midway and the old miniature golf course. Minetown simply had more room than you think.

I don't follow what you're saying here. We're talking about room for a B&M station. Minetown had seemingly no space in 1997, certainly not enough room for a B&M inverted coaster. But the park removed attractions, paths, water ways (flume), and made space for a station. If Hersheypark wants to squeeze a non-traditional B&M station in a tight spot again, what's to stop them?

gb980109 wrote:As I've said, I don't see a B&M station fitting down there. The space just isn't there. With Intamin, they have their storage in back of the station - Fahrenheit. Fahrenheit's station could easily fit in that area, no problem.

That's fine if you can't envision a B&M station in Comet Hollow. I said the same thing in 1997, and the park made it happen. Even though we are all speculating at this point, it seems silly to me to eliminate B&M because their "traditional" station would not fit in the current space - a space that is sure to change.
    tedgarb
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  tedgarb Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:08 pm

Question about fahrenheit: Wasn't it originally ordered by another park, not Hersheypark? Or am I losing my mind?
    rascalflatts
    Black Diamond Level
    Black Diamond Level

Post  rascalflatts Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:35 pm

Dude, necessity is the mother of invention. Why did Intamin use a cable lift instead of a chain on Millennium Force? Because the lift had to be steeper than usual due to space constraints, and Cedar Point did not want to have the same problems they had with Magnum XL-200's lift chain, which was so heavy and difficult to maintain. Intamin chose to do the dual -track stations for Storm Runner and Kingdom Ka because it would be the only way to keep the ride's capacity up. Storm Runner's station is only big enough for two trains, and look, it's within twenty feet of Trailblazer's track. B&M also use multiple stations for some of the flyers because they take a long time to load. Most of Hershey's rollercoasters are not cookiecutter. Wild mouse is the only one with a pre-set track layout, while Trailblazer and the woodies are not one-of-a-kind, but they are custom designed to fit the area. Same with SR, what presumably happened was Hershey saw Cedar Point get the Dragster in 2003, so they asked the same company to build an accellerator coaster. However, since a 120-mph, 400+ footer was not feasible, they built a toned-down version that was able to weave around Trailblazer and the monorail by fitting the topography of Pioneer Frontier. Intamin probably would not have started the idea of launching coasters with inversions if there wasn't a particular need for it in Hershey. Great Bear is one of B&M's more unusual inverters because it was so close to the SooperDooperLooper, and they built it with more of an out-and-back layout and naturally following the terrain. Ever been to Dorney Park? Take a look at Hydra, not your everyday floorless coaster, being low to the ground without a vertical loop or an ordinary layout.

My bottom line is, B&M can and presumably would build an unusual station if they had to save space. I don't get why everybody assumes that all B&M coaters need to be similar to other B&Ms.
    CoasterEricHP
    CoasterEricHP
    Black Diamond Level
    Black Diamond Level

Post  CoasterEricHP Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:14 pm

Right.. and if they move the Whack A Mole game they could extend a station out farther into the Midway.

I agree that they can smash a station into that area, but how do they route the return track through that area? On the Comet's station roof?
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:28 am

Magnum PA wrote:What? So much is wrong with that paragraph.

Cookie cutter would mean the ride, or very similar rides, have been built in other locations. What exactly does Fahrenheit have that is cookie cutter? The vertical lift? Nope - a first for Intamin. 97 degree first drop? Nope - steepest ever. Norwegian loop? No - only one of those. Has that layout, or a similar layout, been done before? No, the ride is original and unique to Hersheypark. Just because it's situated on a relatively flat plot of land and is compact does not mean it is not a custom ride.

Intamin's fault? Really? How it works is Hershey comes to a manufaturer and says something like "We want a coaster that does (blank) and we want it in this location. What can you do for us?" Sure Intamin was involved with designing a vertical, space saving lift (requiring short trains for weight issues), and a short station (that allows for fewer trains). But Hershey is ultimately responsible, as they have the ultimate final say on what design they want and what manufacturer they go with.
    Intamin advertises it on their website as a "vertical lift coaster" (Intamin's Vertical Lift) and it's an exact duplicate of Fahrenheit. Not only that, but Intamin says they designed the ride because parks are facing space constraints and Intamin came to Hershey (not the other way around) with this design for a ride. Fahrenheit is unique to Hersheypark because it's the first; eventually another park will build a vertical lift coaster.

Magnum PA wrote:It was the same case with Storm Runner. Absolutely it should have more than two trains. But, the station is too short (because of space constraints). Train length has little to do with it. Ka can operate four trains due to its station/dispatch design. Dragster runs six, not three, because of its station and dual load/unload/dispatch/station design.

It's also funny that you mention that there was no room for that on Storm Runner. That's what I was talking about.
    Yeah, I mis-thought about Dragster. But honestly, if you think capacity for Storm Runner was shortchanged, it's not. Geographically the park didn't have the room for a longer station. It involved removing another roller coaster, and the park wasn't going to do that - they wanted Storm Runner to be the tenth coaster in the current collection.

And by the way, Storm Runner is unique to Hersheypark. You will not find another launch coaster with inversions like it.

Magnum PA wrote:I don't follow what you're saying here. We're talking about room for a B&M station. Minetown had seemingly no space in 1997, certainly not enough room for a B&M inverted coaster. But the park removed attractions, paths, water ways (flume), and made space for a station. If Hersheypark wants to squeeze a non-traditional B&M station in a tight spot again, what's to stop them?
    Actually, the park removed 0 attractions in Minetown. It was the Kissing Tower catering area, the former Sky Ride station (it was a catering area that didn't make a lot of money as well). Views of the Coal Cracker were obstructed, yes, but the station ate up a chunk of the unnecessary lake space they had. Relatively little path was removed as well. The bulk of the space taken up was in Comet Hollow like I said - half a midway and the miniature golf.

Magnum PA wrote:That's fine if you can't envision a B&M station in Comet Hollow. I said the same thing in 1997, and the park made it happen. Even though we are all speculating at this point, it seems silly to me to eliminate B&M because their "traditional" station would not fit in the current space - a space that is sure to change.
    That space isn't going to change all that much. It's so much more boxed in than any other space they've had to work with, including Great Bear. On one side you have Great Bear, on the other Comet, and on the other Looper. Removing Whack-A-Mole opens up a little bit more space, but the old Auto Skooter building which is a food stand isn't getting taken out and there needs to be room for the midway.

If you think space or the lack there of is a silly issue, consider this instead. When B&M built Great Bear, there were rumors that there was a deal for a second B&M (which I happen to believe is still true). And since Great Bear, Hershey has gotten two Intamins - B&M's obvious competitor. What does that say about the relationship the park and B&M has? Apparently one not as good as the relationship the park has with Intamin.

CoasterEricHP wrote:I agree that they can smash a station into that area, but how do they route the return track through that area? On the Comet's station roof?
    Perhaps above its entrance queue.

Last edited by gb980109 on Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:33 am

This is EXACTLY what Kent Bachman said when I job shadowed at the park a year or two ago. The park goes to the manufacturer and tells them what they want and the manufacturer gets back with them with what they're able to do and if everything works out, then they work together on the design. They usually get quotes from several different companies and figure out which one is the best.

Question about fahrenheit: Wasn't it originally ordered by another park, not Hersheypark? Or am I losing my mind?
    There may have been another park who wanted a vertical lift system on their coaster, but the same exact layout? Unlikely. If HERCo owned another big park other than Hershey and wanted to build it there, then maybe. When you look at the ride closely, it technically isn't as cookiecutter of a ride as you think it is. I think it drops in elevation when it get's closer to the cobra roll.

Intamin chose to do the dual -track stations for Storm Runner and Kingdom Ka because it would be the only way to keep the ride's capacity up.
    Again, Hershey chose to do that. Intamin only provided to possibility of adding that option.

Intamin probably would not have started the idea of launching coasters with inversions if there wasn't a particular need for it in Hershey.
    I highly doubt that. It's not that hard for another park to possibly think about building an accelerator coaster and add something as simple as a loop or zero-g-roll to it.

I agree that they can smash a station into that area, but how do they route the return track through that area? On the Comet's station roof?
    Yep. I could maybe see the brake run maybe slopping at an angle parallel to the final hill and brake run for Comet and maybe turn over it's station. Then the main block brake, transfer, and station could run behind where the games building is now. Then they can take out Whack-A-Mole and move the main midway over there allowing room for space for a station. Taking out the restroom would allow room for a queue area. This gives me the urge to make up a picture of what I'm talking about.

EDIT:
    Intamin advertises it on their website as a "vertical lift coaster" (http://www.intaminworldwide.com/amusement/RollerCoasters/Vertical+Lift+Coaster/tabid/138/ProductNumber/Vertical+Lift+Coaster/language/de-DE/Default.aspx) and it's an exact duplicate of Fahrenheit. Not only that, but Intamin says they designed the ride because parks are facing space constraints and Intamin came to Hershey (not the other way around) with this design for a ride. Fahrenheit is unique to Hersheypark because it's the first; eventually another park will build a vertical lift coaster.
    Why they have Fahrenheit down is because they are only using it as an example for this coaster model, not as a package like their Zac-Spin, which can be built reguardless of the terrain. It's no different than why they have Maverick's layout listed for their Blitz Coasters when they've built iSpeed.
    Also, it says nowhere on that page that it was built specifically for Hersheypark. Keep in mind that they are not the only park in the world that suffers from space issues.

Let me elaborate on my storage track-under-the-station idea because it's not like Roller Soaker's, which is basically an elevator from the main track to the service center under it. I could see how it would be a headache if the elevator constant suffered breakdowns.
    What I was thinking was having a transfer track over to an adjacent track and having it slope to ground level where it enters the service center.

Last edited by Ccron10 on Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:38 am

Ccron10 wrote:This is EXACTLY what Kent Bachman said when I job shadowed at the park a year or two ago. The park goes to the manufacturer and tells them what they want and the manufacturer gets back with them with what they're able to do and if everything works out, then they work together on the design. They usually get quotes from several different companies and figure out which one is the best.
    Yes, there is no question about that (as is the case with the 2012 project - there were several companies in the mix for the ride). Fahrenheit was a different circumstance.
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:53 am

gb980109 wrote:
    Ccron10 wrote:This is EXACTLY what Kent Bachman said when I job shadowed at the park a year or two ago. The park goes to the manufacturer and tells them what they want and the manufacturer gets back with them with what they're able to do and if everything works out, then they work together on the design. They usually get quotes from several different companies and figure out which one is the best.
    Yes, there is no question about that (as is the case with the 2012 project - there were several companies in the mix for the ride). Fahrenheit was a different circumstance.
    Fahrenheit wasn't anything different from Storm Runner. Hershey went to Intamin with this one. I know because they said they looked at several other companies to see what they could do and eventually settled with Intamin. It is absolutely no difference and I am sure of this.
    pushingbuttons
    pushingbuttons
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  pushingbuttons Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:59 am

Ccron10 wrote:
    Let me elaborate on my storage track-under-the-station idea because it's not like Roller Soaker's, which is basically an elevator from the main track to the service center under it. I could see how it would be a headache if the elevator constant suffered breakdowns.
    What I was thinking was having a transfer track over to an adjacent track and having it slope to ground level where it enters the service center.

If you do this you also have to think of how you are going to get it out of storage. With a slope to ground level you would need a winch of some sort to get it out and somewhere to put the train while the track piece is switching. Soaker isn't basically an elevator, it IS an elevator. Underneath storage for an entire train wouldn't work at all in my mind.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:01 am

I wouldn't say they would remove the Whack-A-Mole game but more simply just "move" it. They're most likely tearing out those other game booths for the 2012 project. When Fahrenheit was built, a couple game booths were shuffled around, this probably wouldn't be any different. As far at B&M goes, I know there was a contract for two B&M's. I remember in 2002, everyone "knew" we were getting a B&M stand-up. We got Roller Soaker instead. Then B&M popped up again in 2003 and we ended up getting Storm Runner. If this happens to be an Intamin, I really hope it's the style of I-305 (which I have already mentioned numerous times) but I agree with the majority here that we really need another B&M. Also I think this was discussed before, but would B&M be capable of making a longer station in that space? I know Intamin could plop down a station similar to Millennium Force's design, but aren't a majority of B&M's stations wider? Again, it could be custom built I would assume?
    CoasterEricHP
    CoasterEricHP
    Black Diamond Level
    Black Diamond Level

Post  CoasterEricHP Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:50 pm

After looking a little closer at Bing Maps there is actually a decent sized plot of land where the Tilt-A-Whirl and the Restrooms take up. I don't really see too much of a space issue. Do you guys ever get tired of me posting pictures? If so let me know Smile Here's a new one..

Hersheypark: Attraction 2012 Rumor and News Discussion - Page 2 Statio10

The yellow is where there could be a station and the queue could be back along the creek under SDL's brake run and also back in the corner next to the Comet. I put in where they might be able to have a maintenance bay. The red track is pretty large compared to Great Bear so there may be more room that pictured for the bay.

The return run is actually easier than I figured it would be. Just a quick hop over the Comet's exit (where there is a marker right?) and then the brake run takes the place of the games.

The only issue I see from this angle is clearance for a lift hill. It would be much much easier to go through the Comet and down that side of the creek for a lift hill as opposed to hopping over the SDL, Great Bear, and Comet. I pictured both in this photo.

gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:56 pm

Ccron10 wrote: Also, it says nowhere on that page that it was built specifically for Hersheypark. Keep in mind that they are not the only park in the world that suffers from space issues.
    That's exactly my point. Intamin designed the ride for any park with space issues, not just Hersheypark.

I'm going to let the Fahrenheit issue be. It'd just turn into a back-and-forth I was told this and I was told that and it's never going to end.

I would be very disappointed if the new ride has the old Intamin design instead of the I-305 design.

That's exactly how I picture the break run.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:56 pm

Good observations CoasterEricHP! I didn't realize how much space there was where both the Tilt-A-Whirl and restrooms are currently located. There would also be plenty of room for a midway down there other than Whack-A-Mole being removed/relocated, along with Tilt-A-Whirl, plus new restrooms being constructed elsewhere.

The only issue with part of your drawing is how they would get a lift hill in between Comet and the creek heading out towards Creekside. I'm guessing the only way that could be done by shaving off length of the lift is to install a cable lift. Designing it like I-305 wouldn't be an issue with supports. Probably the most logical way would be to bend the track over the bottom of Comet's first drop and start a lift hill from there and have it do two runs around the creek in that area before hitting its dogleg. Bending the track over Comet's station doesn't appear to be as much of an issue either as long as they don't run this through the Comet's structure. That area probably is related to the marking(s) by Comet's exit.

If they were to have the lift going towards Park Blvd, it would have to feature a curved 200-foot drop and how would that be possible with a ride of this height?

Your drawing is probably one of the most logical ways to build this thing.
    HPfangirl4life
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  HPfangirl4life Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:17 pm

Just realized from the last picture rendering of possible layout:

While I am extremely excited for a new coaster at HP, I am slightly saddened by the realization that it is going to mar the beautiful vision of our 65 (66 next year) year old woodie. They better blow our minds with this new coaster.
    FlyersFan
    FlyersFan
    Hydra: The Revenge Level

Post  FlyersFan Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:00 pm

I somehow think they have taken the view of the comet into consideration and don't believe they will completely destroy the view of the most historic coaster currently in the park. Having said that the view is going to change but I think overall it will be worth it.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:31 pm

HPfangirl4life wrote:Just realized from the last picture rendering of possible layout:

While I am extremely excited for a new coaster at HP, I am slightly saddened by the realization that it is going to mar the beautiful vision of our 65 (66 next year) year old woodie. They better blow our minds with this new coaster.

I think the better view of Comet is when you're walking into the park through Founders Circle and you see the Comet behind the Carrousel.
    Fanatic
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:36 pm

^ This is true. I like seeing Comet rise behind the flats in Founder's Circle, as well as watching the turnaround portion near the gates.

I like the rendering you made, and if the coaster follows through with a design at least a little bit like that, it will look interesting nonetheless. There's definitely going to be a lot of speeding trains running throughout Comet Hollow, what with 4 coasters in the vicinity. So I guess the swing will be the only flat left in Comet Hollow, surrounded by the coaster tracks.
    Does anyone think the swing will be moved/replaced? Or maybe they might add on some flats in the next few years? Also, is it official that the whack-a-mole game station will be moved?
    ChiefRedskin89
    ChiefRedskin89
    Talon: Grip of Fear Level

Post  ChiefRedskin89 Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:36 pm

The wack-a-mole almost has to be removed if it is something like that rendering. It would open up the path to a normal width.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:40 pm

Fanatic wrote:Does anyone think the swing will be moved/replaced? Or maybe they might add on some flats in the next few years? Also, is it official that the whack-a-mole game station will be moved?
    I don't think Wave Swinger is going to be replaced any time soon. The Whack-A-Mole move is more of a shifting and I don't think it will be in much of a different position than what it is now.
    Fanatic
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:04 pm

Perhaps it can be moved to where some of the other game stalls are on the northern end of Comet Hollow.
    rascalflatts
    Black Diamond Level
    Black Diamond Level

Post  rascalflatts Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:13 pm

Maybe it's also possible that the station and maintainence shed could be on the other side of Comet, with the queue area starting in the Hollow and going under Comet before approaching the station. I'm surprised that the station will be in place of Tilt-a-whirl.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:10 pm

That can't be happening because the station markings are where Tilt-A-Whirl currently sits. If you look at the ground, you'll see that.
    Magnum PA
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  Magnum PA Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:12 pm

gb980109 wrote:
    Ccron10 wrote: Also, it says nowhere on that page that it was built specifically for Hersheypark. Keep in mind that they are not the only park in the world that suffers from space issues.
    That's exactly my point. Intamin designed the ride for any park with space issues, not just Hersheypark.

Again, that is not correct. Only twice has Intamin built the same ride in two locations. Once was when Six Flags purchased two hypers from them - one for Darien Lake and the other for Six Flags America - but even those are mirror images, not exact replicas. The other case is their 10 inversion coaster, one of which is in England, the other in China.

They do have other looping coasters that have similar layouts and sequence of inversions. But then again, so do many B&M looping coaster, whether it's inverted or sit-down. You wouldn't call B&M's coasters cookie cutters, would you? (except for the Batmen)

Fahrenheit was a ride that was custom-made for Hersheypark, based on the footprint the park gave them. Anything else you may have heard is incorrect. Just because Intamin's website has a picture of Fahrenheit and lists it as a "Vertical Lift Coaster" does not mean that another park would get a carbon copy of Fahrenheit if they wanted a coaster with a vertical lift. They would get the lift and most likely their own custom ride, unless they wanted a carbon copy of Fahrenheit.
    Magnum PA
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  Magnum PA Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:34 am

CoasterEricHP wrote:

Hersheypark: Attraction 2012 Rumor and News Discussion - Page 2 Statio10

The return run is actually easier than I figured it would be. Just a quick hop over the Comet's exit (where there is a marker right?) and then the brake run takes the place of the games.

The only issue I see from this angle is clearance for a lift hill. It would be much much easier to go through the Comet and down that side of the creek for a lift hill as opposed to hopping over the SDL, Great Bear, and Comet. I pictured both in this photo.

This rendering, I think, has an pretty close apprioximation of what the end of this ride will look like. There was a stake in the middle of Comet's exit and there was one or two down below in the queue. Technically, the brake run could go above the existing game buildings, leaving those in tact. I can't help but think the park doesn't want to strip Comet Hallow of all its games. Those are money makers. Some of them have to stay, while others are simply relocated.

I went by the site today. I parked in the parking garage off of Chocolate Ave, crossed the enclosed bridge and walked along Park Blvd. I noticed a few things.

1) This thing is going to have a ton of footers. If you look closely, there are stakes everywhere, and the pond's bed has yet to be plotted out. There are supposedly 32 more footers going in the water.

2) As Eric mentioned, there is plenty of room for a station/transfer/queue in the Tilt-a-Whirl/bathroom/games corner of Comet Hollow. It will be interesting to see how it all looks next year.

3) I think I'm ready to bet money that the lift hill will head on an angle toward Park Blvd, possibly heading over the base of Comet's first and second drops, without interfering with Great Bear or Looper at all. Kinda' what Eric has in his rendering.

If you look at the stakes, they all have orange ties at the top, except for a few of them that form a straight line, on that angle, heading almost from the fence toward the presumed station area of the new ride. Those stakes have pink and blue ties, and I wouldn't think that is coincidental. Considering the different color and the fact that they are in a straight line, I think that's the lift we're looking at there.

So, if the ride reaches 212 feet from the top of the hill, along the fence (at the terrain's high point), we're looking at one of two things in terms of the first drop. Either it's going to be shorter than the height of the lift if it drops to the ground, or it's going to be in the 250' range if it turns to drop toward the water.

Of course, if the top of the lift measures 212' from the terrain's low point in Comet Hollow, then we could be looking at a shorter drop all together, which would be a disappointment.

Last edited by Magnum PA on Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
    ChiefRedskin89
    ChiefRedskin89

Post  ChiefRedskin89 Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:38 am

I hoping they go down Storm Runners path with the long drop down toword the creek but short drops aren't all that bad. If it drops shorter then where it started that just means that is has to speed up duing some point in the ride, weather it be gradual or a huge second drop like Phantom's Revenge @ Dorney.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:53 am

They could still utilize a cable lift if they would place it at an angle, along with I-305 style track and supports. Although we still shouldn't rule out B&M because I thought Dive Machines bend at the top before dropping (which would need to happen if dropping into the creek)? A good example would be Griffon at Busch Gardens in VA.
    rascalflatts
    Black Diamond Level
    Black Diamond Level

Post  rascalflatts Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:20 pm

It still baffles me as to how they will fit another coaster in Comet Hollow. Do any of you guys think people will notice Comet behind the structure for attraction 2012? Will they notice Sooperdooperlooper? I sure hope they move the games somewhere else.
    FlyersFan
    FlyersFan

Post  FlyersFan Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:41 pm

rascalflatts wrote:It still baffles me as to how they will fit another coaster in Comet Hollow. Do any of you guys think people will notice Comet behind the structure for attraction 2012? Will they notice Sooperdooperlooper? I sure hope they move the games somewhere else.

As someone said before and I agree with the better view of Comet is when you're walking into the park through Founders Circle and you see the Comet behind the Carrousel. You will still notice the comet. As for the Sooperdooperlooper yea you will still notice it because to me the focal point for that ride is when you cross the bridge and the loop is right there in front of you. I do think the lines for the looper and comet will be reduced because of the focus on the new ride. Then again I can't remember the last time I personally stood in line waiting for the looper.
    Bigcoaster95
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  Bigcoaster95 Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:24 pm

@cheifredskin89 you do realize phantoms revenge isn't at Dorney, it's at Kennywood.
    ChiefRedskin89
    ChiefRedskin89

Post  ChiefRedskin89 Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:15 am

^Yeah that was a total slip of the mind. When you have all those parks and coasters jumbled in your head you spit the wrong ones out sometime.
    rascalflatts
    Black Diamond Level
    Black Diamond Level

Post  rascalflatts Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:08 pm

No problem, Chief Redskin, you're not alone. I once confused Mantis with Raptor when at Cedar Point. When I was at my summer camp and we were at Six Flags New England and had ridden the majority of the coasters, someone said she wanted to go on Nitro, to which I replied "Nitro is at a different Six Flags." Then another day, when my friends asked me which were my favorite rides at Great Adventure, I answered "Nitro and Bizarro." They agreed, saying "none of them have flips." Then I was puzzled because I explicitly knew Bizarro has seven inversions, but I then realized they were thinking of Bizarro at SFNE.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:07 pm

After reading CoasterEricHP and Magnum PA's recent posts, here's what I came up with:

Hersheypark: Attraction 2012 Rumor and News Discussion - Page 2 Ride_p10

I never thought that the lift could be positioned at an angle but after reading Magnum PA's post, I think it could be done if a cable lift is utilized. I illustrated that design with the shorter lift length which would represent a cable lift. Also, if the lift happens to be constructed in this manner, the most logical way would be to put in an overbanked turn near the ground following the first drop, similar to I-305. I'm sure they might mess and level with the land on that hillside to accommodate the ride as well.

I'm also thinking that the ride exit would be on the midway side of the station (similar to Fahrenheit) and the queue would be in the old Paddleboat area (already discussed here numerous times). The other path could either be a second option for a ride exit or a singles line. Let's also keep in mind that the current restrooms would also probably have to be removed to allow for construction, so I considered that into my current idea of what the ride area would look like. Whether or not this happens is to be known as of this time but the immediate area would eventually need some kind of restroom facility somewhere.

Something else I also wanted to point out was is it possible that all that black pipe could maybe have something to do with footer castings in the creek? Maybe this could be happening once they're done digging in the creek bed.
    rascalflatts
    Black Diamond Level
    Black Diamond Level

Post  rascalflatts Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:34 pm

I was orginally thinking this ride would stretch out towards Founders Circle, then navigate back near Rhineland to return to the station. If it were only in the creek, the ride would feel a bit monotonous and short.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:30 pm

I think that hpinsane stated somewhere that those markings that first appeared alongside Founder's Circle at the beginning of last season are no longer being used.
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:21 pm

Looks good, but you are forgetting that there are also stakes wrapping around that far turn for Comet. But other than that and if the track was moved over closer to Comet's lift hill for the station, then it would look like it would make sense.
    ChiefRedskin89
    ChiefRedskin89

Post  ChiefRedskin89 Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:58 pm

As much of an awsome ride this seems to be I really don't think that will be the layout. If you imagine that in Comet Hollow that will just look hidious, something Hershey will hopefully keep in mind. That picture puts a big transfer track right over Comet's queue line. If this happens to be the layout it would look like a weak Roller Coaster Tycoon park that some kid forgot about the brakes when building the station and just put it in where it would fit. My suggestions arn't very strong but I just thought of something that might actually work.

Do you think there is any possiblility that it could go the opposite way he has it drawn? A lift hill over a queue is much more plasible then a brake run or transfer track. The brake run could be beside comet on unused ground or on the opposite side of the creek for that matter. The drop could either curve which really wouldn't be good because it kills airtime or there could just be a turn before the main drop and have it either drop under Comet or pull up before hitting it.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:12 pm

HPCrazy wrote:I never thought that the lift could be positioned at an angle but after reading Magnum PA's post, I think it could be done if a cable lift is utilized. I illustrated that design with the shorter lift length which would represent a cable lift. Also, if the lift happens to be constructed in this manner, the most logical way would be to put in an overbanked turn near the ground following the first drop, similar to I-305. I'm sure they might mess and level with the land on that hillside to accommodate the ride as well.

I'm also thinking that the ride exit would be on the midway side of the station (similar to Fahrenheit) and the queue would be in the old Paddleboat area (already discussed here numerous times). The other path could either be a second option for a ride exit or a singles line. Let's also keep in mind that the current restrooms would also probably have to be removed to allow for construction, so I considered that into my current idea of what the ride area would look like. Whether or not this happens is to be known as of this time but the immediate area would eventually need some kind of restroom facility somewhere.

Something else I also wanted to point out was is it possible that all that black pipe could maybe have something to do with footer castings in the creek? Maybe this could be happening once they're done digging in the creek bed.
    I like you're drawing the best so far. I think it's the most accurate. However, I still think the lift is going to go down the creek along Comet's dog leg. From what I understand, they're going to use a double chain lift, not a cable lift. I like where you have the queue; that's my thoughts on where it would be. I looked into the pipe issue and they're going to be using it to redirect the creek. They've already used some of it. The second to last picture from my update has a small one that's easily noticeable, while the bigger one is underneath the sheet plating that makes the "bridge" for the vehicles to cross over.

Also, what hpinsane mentioned about the markers on the other side of Comet being gone - I can confirm that they are no longer there. I would think since it's gone that they're not going to build there, but I'm still holding out hope. I'd like a longer ride.

ChiefRedskin89, I don't think the transfer is going to be over top of Comet's queue, but I would imagine it will be the back half of the station as Fahrenheit is.
    ChiefRedskin89
    ChiefRedskin89

Post  ChiefRedskin89 Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:56 pm

Ok I see that now, but still don't know how that would work with those immence B&M trains. If they do fit it in there then good for them I just don't have the creativity to picture it.
    coastercrazy
    coastercrazy
    Trailblazer Level
    Trailblazer Level

Post  coastercrazy Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:45 am

What if the lift hill runs parallel to the creek?
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:08 pm

ChiefRedskin89 wrote:Ok I see that now, but still don't know how that would work with those immence B&M trains. If they do fit it in there then good for them I just don't have the creativity to picture it.
    If the track is like HPCrazy's drawing, it won't be a B&M.
    MilleniumDork
    MilleniumDork
    Trailblazer Level
    Trailblazer Level

Post  MilleniumDork Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:40 pm

Hey guys, I've been creepin' on the forum for a couple of months, but just now have gotten around to actually signing up. So...hi!

Anyway, just jumping right in and throwing it out there- I recently found out that Intamin's U.S. Headquarters (or whatever you wanna call it) is located less than a half hour away from my house. Perhaps it would be fun to stage a stake-out. You know, just in case, haha ;D
    CoasterEricHP
    CoasterEricHP
    Black Diamond Level
    Black Diamond Level

Post  CoasterEricHP Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:45 pm

^ Hi! I'm always up for a good stake out or hostage situation!

It's a rainy day in the sunshine state and Sidewinder's new trains inspired me to come up with a new coaster rendition!

I think this would be a pretty cool layout.. I really have no idea what to do if the station is on this side of the creek but oh well. There's really no way to get it back over the Comet going this way so I put in a little overbanked hop into the infield of the Comet's far turnaround. Who knows!

Hersheypark: Attraction 2012 Rumor and News Discussion - Page 2 2012ne10
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:56 pm

That looks like the most accurate prediction yet. If you just stretch it so that the track goes under the second hill and wrap around Comet's far turnaround, then it would be perfect. Wink

We haven't had a big update in awhile. I want to go by the construction site to see if it's worth doing an update on Friday. Then next Monday and/or Friday I plan on doing the final offseason updates before the park opens.From the massive digging that has been going on lately, I wouldn't be shocked to see that a lot has happened in the past 2 weeks.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:49 pm

Looks like we have another CoasterEricHP masterpiece! That has to be one of the most accurate drawings you've made yet. I'd love to see something like that come to HP, especially if this turns out to be a B&M.

Hope you can get out to do at least one more update before the season opener. Since Alex and I plan on arriving at the park early for the April 17th meet-up, maybe I also might suggest about taking a walk down to the construction site to kill time before we head to the gate and do a site video and photo update. We should be able to get some good pics of the temporary dam and pumps under SDL's brake run inside the park while we're there, possibly from the Tilt-A-Whirl queue.
    Fanatic
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:45 pm

Definitely a great drawing. The most accurate one according to what we know so far.

HP is definitely using every bit of space they can in Comet Hollow! But I do like the fact that it has the added thrill of being to and going over the creek. I can see the final design looking very similar to this. Good work Wink
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:18 pm

CoasterEricHP wrote:^ Hi! I'm always up for a good stake out or hostage situation!

It's a rainy day in the sunshine state and Sidewinder's new trains inspired me to come up with a new coaster rendition!

I think this would be a pretty cool layout.. I really have no idea what to do if the station is on this side of the creek but oh well. There's really no way to get it back over the Comet going this way so I put in a little overbanked hop into the infield of the Comet's far turnaround. Who knows!

Hersheypark: Attraction 2012 Rumor and News Discussion - Page 2 2012ne10
    The new Sidewinder train is going to be sweet.

This new rendering is all kinds of win. This is by far the most accurate yet, I think!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:05 pm