Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is online?

In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 146 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:59 pm

+20
CoasterBGW
Jeter1186
chris921
PSUPrincess22
HPfangirl4life
FlyersFan
gb980109
woozybear
The Storm Runner
brentott
trumpetplayer105
gardener14
tatertot3710
hpinsane
ChiefRedskin89
Stormwinder
HPCrazy
Fanatic
coasteral
Ccron10
24 posters

A Hersheypark Discussion

HPfangirl4life
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

A Hersheypark Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: A Hersheypark Discussion

Post  HPfangirl4life Sat May 28, 2011 10:43 am

Chris and I were there last Saturday. We decided they had to be LEDs.
    FlyersFan
    FlyersFan
    Hydra: The Revenge Level

Post  FlyersFan Sat May 28, 2011 1:38 pm

Yea I thought they were but I didn't get a close enough look. It looked good.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Sat May 28, 2011 2:44 pm

Depending on how long I'm there next Sunday, I will have to check into this myself. I hope they were able to animate them. I know they weren't as of last week from what I've been hearing. Can't wait to ride it too since it was closed on my opening day visit.
    FlyersFan
    FlyersFan

Post  FlyersFan Sat May 28, 2011 3:57 pm

Last night they were blinking but that was about it.
    Fanatic
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:08 pm

New Hersheypark Family TV Commercial

Not really a brand new video- it was made some time in May. It's also the first animation / image on the HP homepage right now. I have yet to see this on TV myself.

I might as well post this here. Feel free to move it to any other thread, etc. that might be more relevant.
    chris921
    Trailblazer Level
    Trailblazer Level

Post  chris921 Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:15 pm

Yawn.
    ChiefRedskin89
    ChiefRedskin89
    Talon: Grip of Fear Level

Post  ChiefRedskin89 Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:17 pm

Please Hersheypark add a drop tower. Its small footprint, high thrills, and airtime make everyones life better.
    Jeter1186
    Jeter1186
    Little Phantom Level
    Little Phantom Level

Post  Jeter1186 Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:03 am

Did anyone see how the weather channel had a segment on hershey park about them being prepared for severe weather.
    CoasterBGW
    CoasterBGW
    Sky Rocket Level
    Sky Rocket Level

Post  CoasterBGW Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:12 am

For those that did not see it:
    http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/amusement-parks-weather_2011-06-10
    Fanatic
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:00 pm

I thought I saw that the other day. Wink Thanks for providing the link. ^
    Just a small, but interesting read. The second page has a nice little article on HP, too.
    HPfan1013
    HPfan1013
    Trailblazer Level
    Trailblazer Level

Post  HPfan1013 Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:33 pm

First time posting, and I apologize in advance for the length of the post!! I just recently came across this site but have been going to Hersheypark literally since before I can remember. I absolutely love Hersheypark.

Here are my wishes for the future of the park:

First I think that the Boardwalk desperately needs to be expanded. Obviously space is an issue, but in my opinion something needs to be done. I'm not a waterpark connoisseur but Hersheypark is the only park that I've seen where you have to wait in a line to go into the wave pool. I think a good option for expansion would be for them to extend the Boardwalk into the employee parking lots behind the Wildcat. I know in one of the other threads this became a touchy subject but I feel that the parking lots can be reconfigured relatively easily to make up for this loss. Also if they expanded only into the parking lots of this area Hershey would not have the same expense, hassle, and backlash from the public as they would if they were to tear down either the arena or stadium. The employee lots close proximity to the existing water attractions make this area an ideal location for expansion. Personally I would love to see this area of the park expanded upon while prep work is being done to expand the south side of the park with the re-routing of Park Blvd.

Also brought up in another thread was moving the park entrance. I feel that with the potential expansion on the southern side of the park currently bordered by Park Blvd that a new entrance would not be necessary. With this potential expansion the current entrance would sit in the middle of the park. In saying this I do feel that a “people mover” would be needed in the park. Whether it is expanding the monorail, the train, or the Skyview ride with extra stops, something should be added as the park would simply be too long for some guests to comfortably handle.

One of the things about Hersheypark that I know and love is that they are a “Family Park”; however I believe that they need more thrills. A family is not made up of only small children. As I stated previously, my family and I have been going to Hershey since before I can remember, we loved the kiddie rides and tame coasters when we were younger, but now we are all grown and all like more thrills. I’m not saying that I want Hershey to add nothing but thrill rides from now on, but I feel like they’ve got a good grasp on family friendly and kiddie rides and could use more rides catered to people who like thrills. I’m hoping that Project 2012 will head in this direction.

My favorite aspect of Hersheypark is the atmosphere and the overall look and feel of the park. That being said I would like to see them beef up their theming in certain areas (aka Comet Hollow). I certainly don’t expect anything to the extent of Disney, but more of the theming present at the Boardwalk and Tudor Square where the theme is clear and concise would be nice throughout the entire park.

Anyway this is just my 2 cents on where I would like to see the park go in the future. Again, sorry for the long post!
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:52 pm

They could expand the Boardwalk out that way, but they would have to remove the main entrance to it since people would have to walk through that area to go out to Midway. I don't know how they could work it out, but I guess it could be possible.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:53 pm

HPCrazy wrote:They could expand the Boardwalk out that way, but they would have to remove the main entrance to it since people would have to walk through that area to go out to Midway. I don't know how they could work it out, but I guess it could be possible.
    I don't really think it is. Fahrenheit and Wildcat effectively create a stopping point for the Boardwalk. You could expand the Boardwalk to the west of Wildcat, but it could completely break the water park in half, and that's not feasible. Even to get to the west of Wildcat as it stands - the only access is the walkway to Wildcat catering. That wouldn't be a good walkway to get back there. Really, to maintain a solid Boardwalk, it would mean removing Wildcat. There's no way that's happening in the remotely near term, even if the ride is a bit punishing (it's still a good coaster in my opinion). I definitely see the park expanding into the employee parking lots eventually, but for dry rides, not water rides.

I also think the Boardwalk is in a good place right now. Yeah, it sucks that there is a waiting line for the wave pool, but at least the park has one. They've put a good bit of money into that section of the park, and now I think it's the dry park's turn to get some investing. I have no doubt something will change in the Boardwalk some where in the next few years. I don't see Roller Soaker surviving much longer than a few more years.
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:18 am

HPCrazy wrote:They could expand the Boardwalk out that way, but they would have to remove the main entrance to it since people would have to walk through that area to go out to Midway. I don't know how they could work it out, but I guess it could be possible.
    They already have employees parking in overflow lots behind the Star Pavilion and next to the exit road and expanding into the existing lot behind Wildcat would be a good idea? Not really. It's quite a walk from the overflow to the park. Bad idea in my opinion.
    HPfangirl4life
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  HPfangirl4life Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:24 am

Employee parking is already at a premium and it is a heck of a walk to most (if not all) departments. Stealing lots for park expansion and then shifting employee lots (while greatly increasing the number of employees...the expanded section can't run itself) would create bigger hassles than most people realize. Believe me trying to find a parking spot the last two years was almost impossible if you got there after 10 and before 6. Anyone else an employee or a former one? What are your thoughts?

As to how the Boardwalk can be expanded...I've discussed my idea with Matt and Chris. Roller Soaker is constantly breaking down, lines take forever therefore greatly decreasing ridership. I wouldn't give it 5 years (feeling generous). I say once we get another coaster or two in the fold it will be gone. Some high powered (ie. tall) body slides would be a great thrill addition. Or if they want to keep one in the coaster count: water coasters seem to be all the rage. I believe Hershey's would be the first on the East Coast, correct? I'm sure a manufacturer could fit it into RS's footprint.

And a rapids ride could always come back. That would make tons of people happy!
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:39 am

When the park expands the gate into employee parking, that would mean the entire complex in that area would be overhauled. So, given that, it would be a longer walk for employees who are going from the lots to Minetown or Midway, but that's an eventuality with any westward expansion of the park. But given the overhaul, I think the parking situation would be simplified for employees (1 very large lot instead of 3 small lots). Really, the employee parking situation is always overlooked, so it'll be a long overdue update when that happens.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:02 pm

I remember us discussing about the Boardwalk expanding into Roller Soaker's footprint, but still, how could they fit a bunch of slides in there? I could see maybe one or two towers there but I guess there must be more room in that spot than I realize.

If the park goes into the employee parking lot as well as the golf course, the overall footprint would tripple in size. Couldn't they make that lot behind the Star Pavilion and a section of the current lot strictly for employees? They could put another access gate near the revamped lots to not make it so hard to get into the park. Maybe someone could draw out a diagram of that area so we can have a better idea of what we're talking about.

They could install a new rapids ride in a newly themed area in the golf course. They wouldn't have to incorporate it into the Boardwalk at all. Those slides and Midway Tent must go though. I hardly ever see the tent being used unless things go on in there on weekdays. They could build a better facility to replace it when the time comes to expand the park. This would give more room for more flats out there. A Chance Wipeout out in Midway would be sweet!
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:09 pm

HPCrazy wrote:If the park goes into the employee parking lot as well as the golf course, the overall footprint would tripple in size. Couldn't they make that lot behind the Star Pavilion and a section of the current lot strictly for employees? They could put another access gate near the revamped lots to not make it so hard to get into the park. Maybe someone could draw out a diagram of that area so we can have a better idea of what we're talking about.
    I don't think you understand what I posted. It is a long walk from the overflow lot behind the Star Pavilion to the Service Center then to where the employee entrances are. I would be pretty sure nobody would be happy to walk that distance everyday twice (I know I wouldn't be).
    Plus moving the access gates wouldn't help either at all.

Bottom line is that if they would expand into the employee lots, it would hurt the employees and finding a solution might take A LOT of work to reorganize.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:23 pm

Ccron10 wrote:
    HPCrazy wrote:If the park goes into the employee parking lot as well as the golf course, the overall footprint would tripple in size. Couldn't they make that lot behind the Star Pavilion and a section of the current lot strictly for employees? They could put another access gate near the revamped lots to not make it so hard to get into the park. Maybe someone could draw out a diagram of that area so we can have a better idea of what we're talking about.
    I don't think you understand what I posted. It is a long walk from the overflow lot behind the Star Pavilion to the Service Center then to where the employee entrances are. I would be pretty sure nobody would be happy to walk that distance everyday twice (I know I wouldn't be).
    Plus moving the access gates wouldn't help either at all.

Bottom line is that if they would expand into the employee lots, it would hurt the employees and finding a solution might take A LOT of work to reorganize.

I think I understand what you're saying now. After reading your post, it would probably be to their best ability to expand into the golf course without worrying about the employee lots. The only problem with this idea would be the walk from the current employee lots to this new area but couldn't they solve that problem and just build more employee lots near that area with a seperate new access gate? Perhaps having more than one gate for employees will be necessary in the near future.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:44 pm

HPCrazy wrote:If the park goes into the employee parking lot as well as the golf course, the overall footprint would tripple in size.
    To triple the size of the park would make it some 330 acres....the park would not triple. 31 acres of the golf course would be developed for park use, and I wouldn't be surprised if a majority of it ended up being parking lots and other outside the park gate type stuff. It would open up the former east parking lots to being developed for park use. Especially when the service center and stadium are removed and replaced elsewhere (they're both bound to happen, unlike Hersheypark Arena).

HPCrazy wrote:I think I understand what you're saying now. After reading your post, it would probably be to their best ability to expand into the golf course without worrying about the employee lots. The only problem with this idea would be the walk from the current employee lots to this new area but couldn't they solve that problem and just build more employee lots near that area with a seperate new access gate? Perhaps having more than one gate for employees will be necessary in the near future.
    There already is more than one gate for employees to enter the park.

That said, I don't think expanding the park into the golf course is their best option. Someone posted about expanding the park in it's midsection (east to west) rather than laterally (north to south). I agree with that. Considering that all this Monorail expansion is being talked about for starting in 2012, when the Park Boulevard project might not even see approval, indicates that the Monorail expansion would only have it going to Midway America and the Boardwalk and back. I could certainly see some expansion into the golf course, but I really see a majority of the 31 acres being used for parking to open up acres of land that's being currently used as parking. It's a much more logical move.

Ccron10 wrote:Bottom line is that if they would expand into the employee lots, it would hurt the employees and finding a solution might take A LOT of work to reorganize.
    Actually, what's hurt the employees more, I believe, is that they haven't found a solution yet. I think eliminating the parking lot next to Wildcat would force a solution to be found.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:19 pm

gb980109 wrote:That said, I don't think expanding the park into the golf course is their best option. Someone posted about expanding the park in it's midsection (east to west) rather than laterally (north to south). I agree with that. Considering that all this Monorail expansion is being talked about for starting in 2012, when the Park Boulevard project might not even see approval, indicates that the Monorail expansion would only have it going to Midway America and the Boardwalk and back. I could certainly see some expansion into the golf course, but I really see a majority of the 31 acres being used for parking to open up acres of land that's being currently used as parking. It's a much more logical move.

Basically what you're saying is that the other land in the former golf course can be used to expand the parking lots some more (similar to what they did with the parking lot entrance and part of the Giant Center lot in 2007). I would've never thought of it that way. I think alot of of us are looking into the park using most of that land for new attractions. Perhaps they could develop on part of that land and use the other section(s) for expanded parking.

gb980109 wrote:Especially when the service center and stadium are removed and replaced elsewhere (they're both bound to happen, unlike Hersheypark Arena).

How are you sure that this is definitely happening? I mean it would make sense to build a new concert venue closer to the Giant Center and open up the current stadium space for park expansion, but how do we know for certain that it's happening?
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:58 pm

HPCrazy wrote:How are you sure that this is definitely happening? I mean it would make sense to build a new concert venue closer to the Giant Center and open up the current stadium space for park expansion, but how do we know for certain that it's happening?
    Im only speculating about it, but I'm sure that it's going to happen because the stadium needs to be torn down and replaced. It's not like Hersheypark Arena where it holds a lot of history and serves well enough for what events still happen there. The Stadium, on the other hand, is a terrible concert venue respective to the other venues typical concert tours go. It's old and very, very aged. There's no reason to save it, regardless of whether the park needs to expand or not. It's historic for being a Depression-era project and that's it. I'm a big fan of history but something's are good to let go of...sadly that's how I feel about the Stadium.

I don't think we'll see anything about that for a few years, if only because of the stuff we're hearing about with the factory and moving the road, the Monorail and the new coaster. I hope it comes sooner than later though. I'll put it this way...I'm sure the Stadium will be torn down as I'm sure that the Phillies have the best pitching rotation in the MLB.
    Park Connoisseur
    Park Connoisseur
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  Park Connoisseur Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:52 pm

It's been a while since I've commented. I thought I might share my opinion on a few things I've read recently on these boards.

Kozmo 1 wrote:Here's a thought, if they really expand it and run say 4 trains, would they go with some new paint/art designs on the outsides? Either 4 different solid colors, or they could paint them like the Hershey brand chocolate products....(red kit kat train, orange recees', brown Hershey's, silver kisses train etc)

I believe some one already mentioned it, but I don't see this happening. Not only does Capital Blue Cross (CBC) provide heath insurance for all of HE&R, but they pay handsomely in sponsorship dollars to have the monorail named after them and to have the Blue Man on the trains. HE&R will gladly take their money or discount (however it's accounted for). The only way the monorail trains change is if CBC pulls its sponsorship dollars from the ride or the Hershey Company (chocolate) decides to pay more than CBC. Neither is happening.

If the monorail expands, and I have yet to see any hard evidence that it will, perhaps CBC will pick up part of the tab. Who knows...

Regarding the Park Blvd. move...

CoasterBGW wrote:
    A Hersheypark Discussion - Page 4 Map10

I believe this image will end up being pretty accurate, though any real engineering and design has yet to take place. However, I believe that a few people here are making the error in assuming that all 31 acres of "new" land, or everything inside the red line, will be used for park development. It won't be.

The park itself may expand into the old pool area, but I don't know how much further it will go. A lot will have to be re-configured in that area, including parking lots, and access roads to Chocolate World and the offices at 300 Park Blvd.

Additionally, none of us know what sort of utility/maintenance facilities would be planned in that area. It's way to early to assume that any of this new land will be for park expansion. In fact, the topography of the land suggests that only a small portion of it (pool/creek area) could be.

HPfangirl4life wrote: I'm not into name calling, pointing fingers or anything of that nature. However it is very nice to see that all of those (myself included) that were thinking the Park will possibly expand this direction aren't so delirious after all.

I'm not saying that we were right and others' views/thoughts were wrong. I don't believe that I had ever implied that other ideas for park expansion/relocation of main gate were wrong. It is interesting that what one poster believed to be seasonal employee/fanboy speculation seems to be closer to the mark than supposed "long term industry employee knowledge" was.

Reading back on those posts, I don't think anyone ever accused anyone of being wrong. I don't think anyone every claimed the park was not expanding into the land opposite Park Blvd. It reads like some here on this site felt that that expansion wasn't necessarily imminent, and perhaps wasn't the best way to go in the immediate future.

Either way, the park expanding in this direction is certainly not imminent at this point, and it seems that if it works out to go that way, it won't be happening any time soon. It looks like it is at least 10 years down the road. There will be no park expansion in that direction until the road is moved, and that won't be completed (if approved) for number of years itself.

HPfangirl4life wrote: And on another note: If I'm correct, and that is how the park will expand; isn't main gate approximately at the "elbow" of that diagram? Wouldn't that make it pretty much dead center? Either way, with this new coaster and everything else it looks like it will be an exciting coming decade for HP!

HPCrazy wrote:I agree in that the current entrance would be in the "center" of the park if they take the boundaries out into the old golf course.

No, the current main entrance will not be at the "elbow" or any mid-point of the park. Look at it on Google Maps or Earth to get a better perspective.

Like I mentioned above, expansion in that direction probably won't take the full 31 "new" acres. Even after said expansion, the park will still be terribly lopsided. The center point of the park will still be the Claw/Arena area. I still believe it is in Hersheypark's best interest for the future to first move the main gate and expand into the employee lots. Then they can expand into the old pool area later on.

Regarding the recent news article...

HPCrazy wrote:

At the same time that the park is using the Ride Institute of Technology, a second website has appeared, purportedly the property of the LaMarcus Brothers, a “mid-air excavation firm.”

It includes details of previous projects by the company, including the roller coasters Fahrenheit and Storm Runner. But what has Meckley and other fans interested is a reference to a “Kangaroo Bridge” project in New Zealand, scheduled to begin in 2012.

“We’re thinking this might be for a monorail expansion viral site,” Meckley said. “Like the Attraction 2012 campaigns just the beginning.”

Meckley points to the recent purchase of several additional monorail cars by the park, as well as the cryptic description of the Kangaroo project “to connect the north and south islands.”

Meckley and his friends at Keystone Thrills have been speculating where a monorail extension could be headed — possibly adding a line from the central area of the park toward the Boardwalk or Midway sections in the northern end.
    What would be cool, he added, would be if they added a second stop along a way.

Of course, Hersheypark hasn’t let any concrete details slip regarding the LaMarcus Brother’s site, its intended purpose, or whether or not it’s even a separate project.

But Meckley doesn’t believe it’s part of the existing Attraction 2012 marketing campaign.

“I think they got more going on than just this coaster,” he said.

I am of the opinion that the LaMarcus Bros. website has nothing to do with a monorail/park expansion, but has everything to do with Attraction 2012. It's all about excavation, and has mentioned specific Hersheypark roller coasters, correct? I think it's just another wrinkle in the game the park is playing.

While I would expect Hersheypark to use the RIT site for viral marketing future park additions, I don't think there will be any viral marketing for a purported monorail expansion. For a park expansion? Maybe. But not for a plain old monorail.

Since there is nothing to substantiate a monorail expansion at this point, I'm surprised, for credibility's sake, that it even got mentioned in the article.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:04 pm

Park Connoisseur wrote:If the monorail expands, and I have yet to see any hard evidence that it will, perhaps CBC will pick up part of the tab. Who knows...
    Park Connoisseur wrote:Since there is nothing to substantiate a monorail expansion at this point, I'm surprised, for credibility's sake, that it even got mentioned in the article.
    I don't see Blue Cross picking up part of the tab for building the ride. What I could see being picked up is the tab for repainting the new monorail trains they purchased since their logo and flying blue man will be painted on them if that's what Blue Cross intends to maintain in their agreement.

The fact that they bought 3 Monorail trains indicates expansion. The fact that it was mentioned in the Patriot-News lends some credibility. I'd say that Monorail expansion is likely to happen. It's a matter of whether two of the three trains are really serviceable. If they can be overhauled and made operational, while the one train is used for extra parts (much like the third train for Monorail has been over the years), then I'd say it's going to happen. I don't think the park would have made that deal if that weren't the case.

Also, much like you say that it's just a monorail, I don't think the Monorail is worth saving if it's going to just stay as a round trip ride like it is. And I see a reason to market a "plain, old monorail." It's a costly expense, so the marketing campaign could be of a different nature. Instead of having it be a secret like roller coasters typically are, it could be much more interactive. You have to figure out a way to make a monorail seem exciting (even though it's just a plain, old monorail) to get people to come see it.

Park Connoisseur wrote:Either way, the park expanding in this direction is certainly not imminent at this point, and it seems that if it works out to go that way, it won't be happening any time soon. It looks like it is at least 10 years down the road. There will be no park expansion in that direction until the road is moved, and that won't be completed (if approved) for number of years itself.
    You're absolutely right. It's not like this is going to happen next year or the year after. The road shift will be approved - there's no question in that. Tim Holden is very good about getting transportation infrastructure funding for projects in his district, and Arlen Specter wrote a letter to the federal government requesting the appropriations. Besides, the bridge in question is has been open to federal funding for years, hence why the federal government will end up picking up most of the tab.

The township hopes to get things started next year, so I'd expect the project to be completed in 2015 or 2016. I'd imagine that by 2017 that some development by HE&R would occur. So, I don't think this expansion is at least 10 years off, but it's nothing near term.
    Park Connoisseur
    Park Connoisseur
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  Park Connoisseur Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:54 pm

gb980109 wrote:
    Park Connoisseur wrote:Since there is nothing to substantiate a monorail expansion at this point, I'm surprised, for credibility's sake, that it even got mentioned in the article.

The fact that they bought 3 Monorail trains indicates expansion. The fact that it was mentioned in the Patriot-News lends some credibility. I'd say that Monorail expansion is likely to happen. It's a matter of whether two of the three trains are really serviceable. If they can be overhauled and made operational, while the one train is used for extra parts (much like the third train for Monorail has been over the years), then I'd say it's going to happen.

I don't know. You insiders may know more than me. All I know is that the park bought 3 old monorail trains (out of use for a number of years) with the hopes of making 1-2 of them operational. To me, that doesn't say monorail extension - at least for now.

gb980109 wrote:Also, much like you say that it's just a monorail, I don't think the Monorail is worth saving if it's going to just stay as a round trip ride like it is. And I see a reason to market a "plain, old monorail." It's a costly expense, so the marketing campaign could be of a different nature. Instead of having it be a secret like roller coasters typically are, it could be much more interactive. You have to figure out a way to make a monorail seem exciting (even though it's just a plain, old monorail) to get people to come see it.

I suppose you could market it, but I think it would be hard to get the GP excited over a monorail. I know it doesn't do much for me. Those advertising dollars would be better used elsewhere.

Market a park expansion. Market a new ride. But not a monorail extension.

Either way, I don't think the current campaign has anything to do with a monorail extension. Those trains were just purchased, which means even the option of extending the track is new. Certainly nothing is concrete enough to mention in a newspaper article.

gb980109 wrote:You're absolutely right. It's not like this is going to happen next year or the year after. The road shift will be approved - there's no question in that. Tim Holden is very good about getting transportation infrastructure funding for projects in his district, and Arlen Specter wrote a letter to the federal government requesting the appropriations. Besides, the bridge in question is has been open to federal funding for years, hence why the federal government will end up picking up most of the tab.

The township hopes to get things started next year, so I'd expect the project to be completed in 2015 or 2016. I'd imagine that by 2017 that some development by HE&R would occur. So, I don't think this expansion is at least 10 years off, but it's nothing near term.

I have no doubts that this is going to happen. Moving the road is overdue. With the current state of the bridge, it makes no sense to pump millions into it, when those millions could just be placed into a new road.

Your timeline is a little generous, I think. There needs to be time for engineering, including a new bridge, as the creek still needs to be crossed somewhere. Between approvals, engineering, budgeting, excavating, and construction, it will take a few years until the road is done. You then need to give HE&R time to do whatever it is they decide to do with the land.

But I fully expect for the road to be moved. I just hope Hersheypark looks at more immediate expansion options (parking lots) first.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:15 am

Park Connoisseur wrote:Your timeline is a little generous, I think. There needs to be time for engineering, including a new bridge, as the creek still needs to be crossed somewhere. Between approvals, engineering, budgeting, excavating, and construction, it will take a few years until the road is done. You then need to give HE&R time to do whatever it is they decide to do with the land.
    Well, you have to consider that a new bridge has been under consideration for quite some time before the road movement was brought up by the township. So, I'm sure that a new bridge design has already been under development. This is also a pretty basic bridge, so it really shouldn't take a while to put it all together.

It really takes about 2 years to complete a project like this. Year one would be land clearing and bridge building, year two would be road construction and road destruction. It's a matter of when the budgeting is cleared. I'd expect the project to get underway by 2014 for completion in 2016. That gives the park the 2017 season thereafter to have the land for park operations (meaning they could stick a ride in the old pool area next to the light house for the 2017 season, as an example).

Why would HE&R need time to decide what to do with the land? They have the time between now and when the project is completed several years down the road. They shouldn't have a problem getting pre-approvals for their plans pending the completion of the road project.
    Park Connoisseur
    Park Connoisseur
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  Park Connoisseur Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:36 am

gb980109 wrote:
    Why would HE&R need time to decide what to do with the land? They have the time between now and when the project is completed several years down the road. They shouldn't have a problem getting pre-approvals for their plans pending the completion of the road project.

I never said they'd need time to decide what to do. I said they'd need time to do it. It's not that they'll need time to design an expansion after the road move is complete. Serious planning would begin once the road project is approved/ground is broken. The approval process (sensitive environmental area along the creek) would take place during the road construction years.

The idea is that Hersheypark would probably not even begin physical construction until the road project is complete and the old road and bridge is removed.

Hershey's part in this expansion is extensive. Excavation, electricity, plumbing, new perimeter fence, new pedestrian bridge or two in the expansion area, new paths, new rides, new concessions, new games, new facilities, new access/service roads, new restrooms. It's a lot of physical work.

I suppose it could all be done in six years, but I think it's a stretch. My point is, in the meantime, they should look at other expansion options. Freeing up this land is great for the future of the park, but more immediate expansion should be elsewhere. As I said before, I'd hate to see the park get longer before it gets wider.

One thing I would like to see by way of expansion, is reconstruction of a path from Storm Runner to Lightning Racer. I couldn't believe that they cut that off with the cabana area. Now there are two dead ends in the park. And to get to Lightning Racer, you need to either walk all the way around or fight the Boardwalk crowds (no, thank you). That old path behind the rapids was my favorite in the park. It was so quiet, and it was a straight shot to Lightning Racer. I'd love to see another path somehow bypass the whole area on the east side of the waterpark.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:12 am

Park Connoisseur wrote:I suppose it could all be done in six years, but I think it's a stretch. My point is, in the meantime, they should look at other expansion options. Freeing up this land is great for the future of the park, but more immediate expansion should be elsewhere. As I said before, I'd hate to see the park get longer before it gets wider.

One thing I would like to see by way of expansion, is reconstruction of a path from Storm Runner to Lightning Racer. I couldn't believe that they cut that off with the cabana area. Now there are two dead ends in the park. And to get to Lightning Racer, you need to either walk all the way around or fight the Boardwalk crowds (no, thank you). That old path behind the rapids was my favorite in the park. It was so quiet, and it was a straight shot to Lightning Racer. I'd love to see another path somehow bypass the whole area on the east side of the waterpark.
    I'm not saying that should 2017 be an accurate prediction that the park would suddenly have a whole new section of the park like Midway America in 2000. I'm thinking along the lines of it being somewhere between the start of Midway America with just one coaster and the big Midway expansion in 1999 with a whole slate of rides.

I think that path could be restored when Roller Soaker exits, but there's not a whole lot of space back there because of the Intercoastal Waterway. Hopefully it can be worked back in, that was one of my favorite areas to walk around, too.
    Park Connoisseur
    Park Connoisseur
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  Park Connoisseur Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:04 pm

gb980109 wrote: I think that path could be restored when Roller Soaker exits, but there's not a whole lot of space back there because of the Intercoastal Waterway. Hopefully it can be worked back in, that was one of my favorite areas to walk around, too.

I guess I don't understand the 'Roller Soaker must die' sentiment. It is a truly unique attraction today, and I think it's a lot of fun. There always seems to be a line, and it fits in with the waterpark area very nicely.

I don't know what kind of maintenance record it has, but it always seems to be operational when I'm there. I know Set Point isn't in business anymore, so I don't know how hard parts are to get.

Removing it would clear up room for a new path, but I can't help but think that if it is removed, new water slides would take it's place. I think the immediate plan for expanding the water park should be to relocate Wild Mouse and add slides there.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:37 pm

Park Connoisseur wrote:
    gb980109 wrote: I think that path could be restored when Roller Soaker exits, but there's not a whole lot of space back there because of the Intercoastal Waterway. Hopefully it can be worked back in, that was one of my favorite areas to walk around, too.

I guess I don't understand the 'Roller Soaker must die' sentiment. It is a truly unique attraction today, and I think it's a lot of fun. There always seems to be a line, and it fits in with the waterpark area very nicely.

I don't know what kind of maintenance record it has, but it always seems to be operational when I'm there. I know Set Point isn't in business anymore, so I don't know how hard parts are to get.
    Roller Soaker is only unique because it's the last of it's kind. I really feel most guests get a raw deal if they wait the full queue for the ride. Especially when a quarter of the riders accidentally dump their water in the station and it can't be refilled. The ride has a very, very poor maintenance record. By far the worst of any ride at the park.

As for moving Wild Mouse, I like how the midway is set up there. You have Wildcat on one side, Wild Mouse on the other. Maybe move it to where the fair tent is, but it's also a coaster seen at many boardwalks, so it's fitting how the ride over looks the Boardwalk. But, I could see it being moved some day to give more room for water rides.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:16 pm

gb980109 wrote:Roller Soaker is only unique because it's the last of it's kind. I really feel most guests get a raw deal if they wait the full queue for the ride. Especially when a quarter of the riders accidentally dump their water in the station and it can't be refilled. The ride has a very, very poor maintenance record. By far the worst of any ride at the park.

Wasn't Giant Wheel removed for the same reason? It was also a popular ride. Canyon River Rapids was another popular ride with a "so-called" poor capacity according to the park. Roller Soaker has both of these issues involved with it....very, very poor capacity, as well as (as you have already stated) a major maintenance issue. Regardless, the park will remove it even if every person in the park loves it.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:30 pm

HPCrazy wrote:
    gb980109 wrote:Roller Soaker is only unique because it's the last of it's kind. I really feel most guests get a raw deal if they wait the full queue for the ride. Especially when a quarter of the riders accidentally dump their water in the station and it can't be refilled. The ride has a very, very poor maintenance record. By far the worst of any ride at the park.

Wasn't Giant Wheel removed for the same reason? It was also a popular ride. Canyon River Rapids was another popular ride with a "so-called" poor capacity according to the park. Roller Soaker has both of these issues involved with it....very, very poor capacity, as well as (as you have already stated) a major maintenance issue. Regardless, the park will remove it even if every person in the park loves it.
    Giant Wheel was removed due to a lack of available parts. Giant Wheel was an otherwise reliable ride. Rapids removal was predicated by lower rider capacity, as well as the ride's condition. Hershey has very hard water that's difficult on any kind of water ride, let alone more "traditional" water rides like Rapids and Soaker.
    chris921
    Trailblazer Level
    Trailblazer Level

Post  chris921 Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:27 pm

I am looking for the photos of the dismantling of Giant Wheel. I know they were removed by the request of Hersheypark back in 2004 --- doesn anyone remember seeing those pics --- and know how I could get them? Maybe via email???

Thanks.
    vw87tech
    vw87tech
    Kingdom Coaster Level
    Kingdom Coaster Level

Post  vw87tech Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:28 pm

I would love to see these photos. i am not even sure they exist. I ve been looking for those photos for years on the net. please let me know if you find anything.
    thanks
    chris921
    Trailblazer Level
    Trailblazer Level

Post  chris921 Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:17 pm

I remember a site (HPCrazy??) had them posted for a bit, and Hersheypark demanded that they be removed. I would love to go through them again. If someone could email them to me - I would love to look at them.

Anyone know more???
    ChiefRedskin89
    ChiefRedskin89

Post  ChiefRedskin89 Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:15 pm

Does anyone remember those empty brackets that were on the supports to the main slides in the Boardwalk? I knowticed something yesturday and I don't remember anyone ever saying about. I don't have any pictures but did anyone remember seeing empty footers? There were several of them one I specifically remember was near the bowl slide closest to the tower.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:56 pm

All that stuff was there from the opening of that attraction. I don't know why the park never added a new slide or two to the tower but I wouldn't rule it out in the near future.
    Fanatic
    Fanatic
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  Fanatic Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:14 pm

I remember those when I first saw the Boardwalk as well. I figured they were going to see how the Boardwalk was received and maybe add more slides the next season. I almost forgot about them actually.
    I wonder if they are still planning on using them for another attraction, as I doubt they were never intended for use in the first place. I would like to see new slides in the future, but it would be a little crowded in that area in terms of the slides.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:36 am

HPCrazy wrote:All that stuff was there from the opening of that attraction. I don't know why the park never added a new slide or two to the tower but I wouldn't rule it out in the near future.
    Yeah, those are intended for additional slides. I figure it hasn't happened because of Fahrenheit, then the SeaQuel, then the economy slid downhill, so development stayed in a holding pattern for the new coaster project.
    EastSideSweeper
    EastSideSweeper
    Kozmo's Kurves level
    Kozmo's Kurves level

Post  EastSideSweeper Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:43 pm

I think that they will replace the Roller Soaker with slides in a season or two. The problem with RS is that the ride is down at least once a day(Im not even exaggerating). The only other one in the world is gone, its not an extremely popular ride, and it takes up alot of space. Overall, slides in it place would just be more successful, and could be used as a way to bring in something new.

Also Just throwing this out as something you might notice next season. Both Utilities (Sweep and Sanitation) and Foods are due for new uniforms next season. Im not sure what color shirts foods will be but they will have both Sweeps (Currently Yellow) and Sanitation (Current Grey) change there shirt color to Orange. Supposedly it will be a Philadelphia Flyers Orange specifically, but we are not 100% sure yet. Just in my opinion, I dont wanna look like a have a prison jumpsuit on...
    HPfangirl4life
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  HPfangirl4life Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:21 am

I don't think Utilities will look like immates. Orange will be awesome. It is definitely better than the red currently worn by my old department - Retail. Plus the material will be great. It breaths better than the heavy cotton of the yellow and grey shirts. I like that HP is having their employees where bright colors. It looks way more modern and upbeat Smile
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:16 am

I agree. As long as they don't change the shorts, I think it would make you look like prisoners. Plus I think the shirts should be cotton instead of polyester so that we can feel better during the summer.
    EastSideSweeper
    EastSideSweeper
    Kozmo's Kurves level
    Kozmo's Kurves level

Post  EastSideSweeper Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:21 pm

Its more so that most of the department hates being a bright color right now because we are so elsaily spotted by guests, and usually get overwhelmed with questions on some days. But I know the new shirts will be more comfortable, supervisors have them already. Also just saying something with the shorts we have... the dont have front pockets.. so it would be good if they where replaced.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:15 pm

EastSideSweeper wrote:Its more so that most of the department hates being a bright color right now because we are so elsaily spotted by guests, and usually get overwhelmed with questions on some days. But I know the new shirts will be more comfortable, supervisors have them already. Also just saying something with the shorts we have... the dont have front pockets.. so it would be good if they where replaced.
    I believe the shorts with no pockets is a permanent standard.
    EastSideSweeper
    EastSideSweeper
    Kozmo's Kurves level
    Kozmo's Kurves level

Post  EastSideSweeper Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:21 am

gb980109 wrote:I believe the shorts with no pockets is a permanent standard.

They are, from my understanding they wanted to have wardrobe sew all them but it was too overwhelming for them (logically). So they sent them out and when they came back some still hade pockets attached and just sewn up but most had the pockets taken off. The reason why is because supposedly people would steal money, but hey what can someone do...
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:00 am

EastSideSweeper wrote:
    gb980109 wrote:I believe the shorts with no pockets is a permanent standard.

They are, from my understanding they wanted to have wardrobe sew all them but it was too overwhelming for them (logically). So they sent them out and when they came back some still hade pockets attached and just sewn up but most had the pockets taken off. The reason why is because supposedly people would steal money, but hey what can someone do...
    Yeah the pockets are still there, that's the funny part. I know the process took a couple of years.
    HPfangirl4life
    Sooperdooperlooper Level
    Sooperdooperlooper Level

Post  HPfangirl4life Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:47 am

I'm not entirely sure it was a money reason. Not all employees work with money. It is more that they don't want you to carry anything really. Men's shorts have a back pocket for a wallet. Women's shorts have absolutely no pockets. It was very annoying and slightly unfair to not have one back pocket. I always (from 1999-2003) carried a map and entertainment schedule to assist guests. My last three years of employement there I couldn't do that. I think a big part of the no pocket policy is cell phones.
    gb980109
    gb980109
    Phoenix Level
    Phoenix Level

Post  gb980109 Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:36 pm

HPfangirl4life wrote:I'm not entirely sure it was a money reason. Not all employees work with money. It is more that they don't want you to carry anything really. Men's shorts have a back pocket for a wallet. Women's shorts have absolutely no pockets. It was very annoying and slightly unfair to not have one back pocket. I always (from 1999-2003) carried a map and entertainment schedule to assist guests. My last three years of employement there I couldn't do that. I think a big part of the no pocket policy is cell phones.
    I'm pretty sure it started as a money reason and evolved into a cell phone reason.
    Ccron10
    Ccron10
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Ccron10 Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:01 am

A little update on the parking cost. It is now $12 to park and I think Preferred is still $20.
    HPCrazy
    HPCrazy
    Coaster Master Level
    Coaster Master Level

Post  HPCrazy Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:05 am

They also raised parking for HP in the Dark (and probably the other seasonal events) to $8.00. I'm happy I have my season pass and that I renewed it for next year. It's saving me those few extra dollars.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:32 pm